‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

112

“We’re here,” Nate announced as he pulled Taylor’s blindfold off.
He also produced the key to the lock holding the chain to Taylor’s collar and removed it. Putting his hand to his throat, Taylor slowly sat up.
“Get changed and I’ll take you in,” Nate assured, getting out of the truck.
Taylor watched him before looking up at the hospital they’d come to. It wasn’t big, but it wasn’t small either. There were plenty of people walking around, and he was tempted to make a run for it then and there.
But in order to comply with Nate, he grabbed the white shirt and pulled it over his head. Having not worn a shirt in almost a week he felt almost uncomfortable in it. He quickly changed into the clean set of jeans as well before opening his door and stepping out. Nate was waiting.
“Let’s go. And let me do the talking,” he ordered.
Taylor folded his arms across his chest, automatically following Nate’s lead. They made their way into the emergency section and were soon seen to.
“This is my kid brother,” Nate put his hand on Taylor’s shoulder, “he fell down a well on our parents’ property a few days ago and we had no idea. If we hadn’t have found him in time…”
He trailed off with surprisingly convincing fake emotion.
“Right this way Sir,” the nurse instructed.
Taylor glanced over his shoulder – his heart sinking a little when he saw Nate following – but followed her into the wards.
“We’ll get you cleaned up and then check you over. Have you had anything to eat or drink?”
“Just water,” Taylor offered, his voice shaky.
“Shower’s through there. You’ll need to put this on,” she handed him a hospital gown, “your brother can wait in the waiting room.”
“I think I’d better stay here, just in case he needs something,” Nate insisted.
“You can come back when the doctor’s seen him,” the nurse assured before walking away.
Nate grabbed Taylor’s arm tight enough to leave a bruise.
“If you try anything, I will make an example of this place,” he warned at a low octave.
“I know,” Taylor confirmed.
He made eye contact with him for a moment before Nate let his arm go.
“I’ll be back,” he said before turning to head back to the waiting room.
Taylor took a quick glance around before disappearing into the shower. Grateful for his first one in weeks he lost track of time and soon had someone knocking on the door. When he got out the nurse greeted him and led him to a bed where she sat his clothes on a nearby chair and offered him a cup of water.
Taylor took it thankfully as he waited for the doctor to show up. It wasn’t long.
When they checked him over they decided pretty much what the first doctor had, that he was malnourished and dehydrated. They quickly set up an IV and aside from providing him with water they left him to simply rest.
It wasn’t long after he started to think that he would finally get some rest that Nate reappeared.
“Everything okay?” his eyes shifted almost worriedly.
“Fine,” Taylor struggled to sit up a little as Nate moved the clothes and sat in the chair.
“See? Told you you’d be fine,” he offered Taylor a smile.
“You did,” Taylor agreed, not willing to close his eyes again now.