‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

12

Isaac shook his head as Rick pulled up near the boat ramp he’d triangulated earlier.
“They could be anywhere,” he rubbed his face tiredly.
“Specifics say in the water. Ready to go for a swim?” Rick gave him a smile.
Isaac just shrugged and got out of the car. Rick sighed to himself before following him out.
“We knew this wasn’t going to be easy,” he said.
“Understatement,” Isaac looked out over the water.
Rick folded his arms and looked across at him.
“Okay. You or me?”
“Huh?”
“Going in,” Rick indicated the water, “we might as well. We’re not going to see anything from up here.”
“Well then I guess you’ve got more experience under your belt,” Isaac couldn’t help a small smile.
“I knew you were going to pull that one. Fine, I’ll do it.”
He went to the back of his car and started getting undressed. Fishing around in the back for a moment, he managed to find a snorkel set with goggles.
“Oh you just happened to have those in the car?” Isaac raised an eyebrow.
“Never know when you might need them. Always gotta be prepared,” Rick reasoned.
He made his way down to the water’s edge, paused for a second to catch his breath, then dived in.
Isaac stood on the bank and watched every move he made. It wasn’t long before he gave Isaac a wave, and then ducked below the surface for a significant amount of time. It was just as Isaac was beginning to worry that Rick resurfaced and began the swim back to the shore.
Isaac met him at the bank, taking what Rick handed up to him as he got out.
Taylor and Zac’s wallets.
“What the?!” Isaac looked at him incredulously.
“It’s Tay’s car,” Rick caught his breath, “believe it or not. Their phones are there, and those were too. No sign of them.”
Isaac covered his mouth with his hand, feeling like he was going to be sick.
“It’s really happening again,” he cringed, bending over.
Rick gave him a pat on the back, before reaching down to take the wallets from him again.
“I’m gonna dry off, then we should head for the station,” he suggested.
“We need to go back to the butcher shop. Maybe this… Nikolai… knows something,” Isaac insisted.
“He very well may, but I think we’re pretty beyond the point of wondering if this is foul play or not. We need to tell the police.”
Isaac took a few deep breaths before standing up straight again.
“I’ll give them a call, maybe they’ll meet us there,” he said, going back to the car to grab his phone.
Rick had grabbed a towel and started drying himself off, before managing to get himself dressed again. Isaac sat in the car to make his call.
“Hello, who am I speaking with? Cathy? Hi Cathy it’s Isaac Hanson… is Sergeant Davison around?”
Rick made it back to the driver’s side and got back in the car, waiting until he was sure nothing was being said before starting the engine. He listened as Isaac recounted the events of the night and morning and described where they were going. Once he’d hung up, Rick gave him a questioning look.
“They’ll meet us there,” Isaac offered, rubbing his face again before looking down at the wallets.