‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

121

It wasn’t long before Nate returned with Trent in tow.
“I’ve got tape and ties in here,” he opened the drawer to show him, “and if anything happens there’s some tranks in here.”
He opened the drawer below as Taylor’s eyes widened. He hadn’t known that Nate had stocked sedatives, but then figured he must have been afraid to use them after making him sick.
He twisted his wrists helplessly as Nate stepped over to him again, once again grabbing him by the hair and pulling his head up. When Taylor let out a muffled cry Nate hit him across the face again.
“I’ll be back soon,” Taylor wasn’t sure if he was talking to him or Trent, “then we’ll work on some discipline.”
Taylor groaned as his head hit the bed again, his left eye squinting where he was sure it was going to swell. He watched as Nate left the trailer and Trent took up his place on the sofa, opting to play with his cell phone rather than watch the television while the radio was still on loud.
Taylor felt himself shaking as he kept his eyes open just enough to know if Trent moved.

*

Zac and Isaac looked up as Carlson came into the interrogation room the boys had used to regroup.
“We just got a call from a gas station out at El Oasis. The attendant there this afternoon spotted Nate’s truck,” he informed them.
Zac immediately stood.
“And Taylor?” Isaac checked.
“He didn’t say. But he gave a positive ID of the driver,” Carlson assured, “and that’s what we need.”
“So let’s go,” Zac looked between them, “he’s either got to be around there somewhere, or the stop is somewhere between where he’s based and the hospital.”
“El Oasis is the very outer region of suburban Reynosa,” Carlson advised, “there’s every chance he’s based somewhere with no population further out.”
“And?” Zac frowned.
“I’m just saying,” Carlson raised his hands in surrender.
“So let’s go,” Zac insisted, leading the way out.
“I guess we’re going,” Isaac shrugged, finally getting up and following.
“Want me to send a squad car out with you?” Carlson offered.
“We’ll keep our distance,” Isaac promised, “if we find anything we’ll let you know first.”
“Okay,” Carlson relented, shaking his head knowing an argument wasn’t worth the hassle.
“Can you tell us exactly where this gas station is?”
“I’ll text you the directions myself,” Carlson closed the door behind them, not even seeing Zac in the hallway.
“Thanks,” Isaac gave him a pat on the shoulder before heading for the exit.
He met Zac in the parking lot, waiting by the car.
“Do we want a squad car?” Isaac paused at the opposite door.
“Just get in and drive,” Zac scorned.
Isaac rolled his eyes and unlocked the car so they could both get in. As they did he received the text from Carlson with the directions, so he handed the phone to Zac as he started the car.
“Here we go again,” Zac sighed.
“Here we go again,” Isaac agreed, “let’s get closer this time though, yeah?”
Zac smirked as they pulled out.