‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

123

“Okay,” Zac sighed as he got back in the car with fresh coffees, “guy said they headed south on the main highway.”
“They?” Isaac raised an eyebrow as he took his coffee.
“Well, Nate. Still no Tay sighting,” Zac pulled a face, “you okay to keep driving? It’s getting late.”
“I’m fine,” Isaac insisted, taking a sip before setting the coffee down and starting the car again.
He pulled out of the parking space and began to head down the highway. They hadn’t gone far when Zac spotted something off the side of the road.
“Pull over,” he insisted, hitting Isaac on the shoulder.
Isaac immediately did so, and Zac jumped out. He ran back down the side of the road a couple of hundred yards before leaning over the barrier.
“IKE!” he yelled back, “what was the plate on Nate’s truck?!”
Isaac paused where he’d gotten out of the car to follow him, grabbing his phone from his pocket and looking it up. He relayed it to Zac, and from this far away he could see his brother’s expression change.
“You’d better come see this,” he said, before jumping the barrier and disappearing into the darkness.
Turning to lock up the car via remote, Isaac turned back and jogged over to where Zac had disappeared. He felt a chill go down his spine when he spotted the truck partially hidden in the trees.
“How did you see that from the road?!” he called, not seeing where Zac was.
“Only just!” came the reply.
Isaac heard one of the doors open and suddenly wished he’d brought a flashlight along.
“Is anyone there?!” Isaac dreaded the answer, but he had to ask.
“No!” came the response.
Isaac squinted as he tried to see what Zac was doing as a few different noises came from the truck. A moment later Zac appeared empty handed. He made his way back up to the barrier and jumped over.
“It’s definitely Nate’s truck,” Zac looked forlorn.
“He must know they’re onto him,” Isaac shook his head, “why else would he dump it?”
Zac just shrugged and began walking back toward the car.
“There wasn’t anything that could help us?” Isaac checked.
“Nope,” Zac sighed.
They made it back to the car, Isaac setting his phone in the cark kit and dialling Carlson’s number. They quickly informed him of what they’d found – and that Zac had been in it if they wanted prints from it – before they pulled out to continue down the highway.
Not far away they came across another gas station.
“Pull in here,” Zac insisted, “maybe they saw something.”
“If he came from the other direction they wouldn’t have seen the truck,” Isaac pointed out.
“They could have doubled back, you never know,” Zac said, “but he had to go somewhere after dumping it.”
Without another word Isaac pulled up outside and Zac got out to head in. Approaching the guy at the counter, Zac cleared his throat.
“Hey, I’m wondering if you could help me…” he began in a friendly voice, “I’m looking for someone.”
“Then look no further,” came a voice from Zac’s side.