‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

124

“Nate,” Zac sighed, turning to face him head on, “we finally meet outside of a cell screen.”
“Oh, you’re forgetting the freezer so soon?” Nate tilted his head.
Zac just glared at him.
“If you’re looking for Taylor, he’s not here,” Nate offered.
“Then where is he?” Zac demanded, “we know you have him. He must be nearby.”
“And what if I don’t want to tell you where he is?” Nate shrugged.
“Then we’ll find another way to make you talk,” Zac immediately pulled out his cell phone.
“I wouldn’t do that,” Nate took the gun from his belt and aimed.
Zac’s hands immediately went up as the attendant ducked below the counter and hit the silent alarm.
“Okay fine,” Zac shrugged, “I’m putting it away.”
He slowly lowered his hand to replace the phone to his pocket. Nate suddenly aimed to the right and shot at the counter. The bullet bounced off the countertop and hit the display behind, making Zac duck out of the way and the attendant yell out in fright.
“Stop moving,” Nate ordered.
“Right. Okay,” Zac kept his hands in the air, still holding the phone, “what do you want, Nate?”
“To leave without hassle,” Nate replied with a pointed look.
“No one’s stopping you,” Zac assured.
Nate looked at him curiously, and Zac seemed to pick up on something he hadn’t noticed before. The look in Nate’s eyes just wasn’t quite right.
“Nate?” Zac frowned.
He seemed to snap back to reality.
“I need a car,” he admitted, “do you have one?”
“I do, but Isaac’s in there,” Zac was up front, “his phone is in the car kit. The moment you step out of here he’ll be on the phone to the Feds.”
“You just told me no one was stopping me from leaving!” Nate’s voice rose as he stepped forward.
Zac took a step back, his eyes on the gun which was waving dangerously. He wondered for a moment if Nate was drunk.
“And no one is,” he tried again, “you just have to go out the back.”
Nate looked around the store, but they were alone aside from the attendant. He made his way over and jumped up onto the counter. Zac took the split second that his attention was diverted to speed dial Isaac’s number. Once he picked up he hit mute and slid it into his pocket.
“Do you have a car?” Nate demanded, the gun pointed at the attendant.
“Take it!” the kid offered, throwing him the keys.
Nate caught them easily before jumping down again.
“You, out the back,” he waved the gun at Zac.
“Why?” Zac frowned.
“Because you ask too many questions. Now move!”
“That doesn’t even make sense,” Zac shook his head, but moved nonetheless.
He made it to the back door in time for Nate to grab him by the shoulder. Feeling the gun digging into his side, he realised they were headed for the little black hatchback parked by a side door.
“You’re taking me with you?” Zac realised, not willing to fight while the gun sat where it was.
“The less people around that can identify me, the better,” Nate shrugged off.