‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

126

Zac was looking out the window wondering how things had gone so wrong so fast.
As far as he knew the call with Isaac was still connected, but he wasn’t willing to check over his shoulder if they were being followed in case Nate got curious. He was currently in the back seat of the car, wrists bound behind him with a thick cable tie.
“Are you taking me to Taylor?” he chanced asking.
“Maybe, but probably not,” Nate responded.
Zac frowned. Something had changed with Nate since the last time he’d dealt with him. Not that he’d seen him for long either time, but his very demeanour now was unsettling.
It wasn’t all that long before they hit a gravel track, and Zac couldn’t see anything about where they were going. He’d paid attention until they turned off the bitumen so he had a vague idea of where they were, but now there were no markers to go by.
When he finally saw the trailer in the distance his heart skipped a beat.
Nate pulled up beside it, muttering something about another car. In a flash he was out the door and running for the trailer door.
Shocked by his sudden departure Zac took a moment to gather himself before turning himself in the seat so that he could reach the doorknob. He cursed when he realised the child locks were on and immediately tried to fit his foot down the side of the front seat to find the lever to push it down.
Suddenly remembering the call with Isaac he began quickly reciting the directions up to the gravel road in the hopes that Isaac would hear him. He didn’t manage to get to the lever before Nate reappeared.
He made his way to Zac’s door – anger showing clearly in his stride – and pulled it open. Grabbing Zac by the shoulder he pulled him out and led him back to the trailer, pushing him inside.
Zac’s eyes immediately fell on a man passed out on the sofa, droplets of blood coming from his neck and a discarded syringe beside him. There was a knife on the table beside a radio and a television – the radio blasting painfully loud. Nate leant over and turned it off before shoving Zac down the other end. Obediently, he sat on the bed there.
Nate began rummaging through the kitchen, angrily pulling drawers out and slamming them closed. Zac took the opportunity to look around. There were broken cable ties on the bed, and a hole in one of the walls about the size of a fist but the wrong shape for one. His face lost colour when he realised that Taylor must have been here.
“Two left…” Nate was muttering to himself, holding up a pair of syringes like the empty one on the sofa, “DAMMIT!”
Zac kept his eyes plastered to Nate, wishing he had access to the knife on the other side of the room. Nate took a moment to pull himself together before grabbing another cable tie from a drawer and stepping back over to Zac.
“Lay down,” he ordered.
“Why?” Zac demanded.
Nate hit him across the face and used the moment he was dazed to push him down onto his stomach. Zac winced as he was soon pulled into a similar hogtie.
“He was here, wasn’t he?” Zac grunted with the strain.
Nate ignored the question as he made his way back to Trent and started trying to wake him up. Failing in his efforts he checked his pockets, already knowing that at least the car keys were missing.
“Where did you go?” Zac heard Nate whispering to himself.