‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

131

Isaac ducked out of the car – keeping the window down and the car kit volume up – as he saw the vehicles approaching in the dark.
They made their way past and turned back, the first car pulling up behind Isaac’s while the two SWAT vans pulled off onto the gravel track. The patrol cars pulled up roadside, ready to block off any traffic that might come by, but remained with their lights off.
Isaac watched as Carlson stepped out of the car that had pulled up behind his, soon followed by Taylor.
“TAY!” he couldn’t help himself, he ran to his brother.
Taylor pulled him into a hug. The first one in months.
“It’s so good to see you,” Isaac said.
“Good to see you too,” Taylor struggled to hold himself together, “are you alright?”
“Shouldn’t I be asking you?” Isaac mused, finally breaking away.
Taylor smirked a little as Carlson came to their side.
“What’s happening?” he gave Isaac a pointed look.
“Zac’s in trouble,” Isaac responded immediately.
“What happened?” Taylor immediately looked panicked.
“I couldn’t make sense of it, but I’m not hearing everything,” Isaac led them back to the car and opened the door.
They could hear Zac groaning, and what sounded like cloth moving over the phone.
“Nate is pissed,” Isaac reiterated, “I think Zac tried to escape. There’s been a heap of shouting, and he said something about needing you back.”
Taylor gave him a worried look before looking to Carlson.
“He’s in a trailer,” he told him, “I got out a different way to what he took me in, so I don’t know exactly where it is. But I could try.”
“You need to stay here,” Carlson said sternly, “with Isaac. We’ll handle this.”
“And when he realises he’s cornered and he kills Zac?” Taylor scorned, “no, I’m coming with.”
“That makes two of us,” Isaac insisted, reaching into the car to grab his phone from the car kit. He shut the car off and locked it up.
“Oh geez,” Carlson rolled his eyes and headed back to his car.
Taylor and Isaac shared a glance before following. When they were in the back of the car Isaac grabbed Taylor’s shoulder.
“Nate’s talking,” he said, quickly putting the phone on speaker.
“…Stay here while I go look for your brother.”
“Whatever you say.”
“He’s coming after me,” Taylor realised.
“Which means he’s leaving the trailer,” Isaac looked up toward Carlson.
Carlson immediately picked up his radio.
“Devereux is on the move, we need to go NOW!” he ordered.
The SWAT vans immediately pulled into the gravel track, Carlson starting his car and following them while the patrol cars stayed by the road.
Taylor was able to give very vague directions, but nothing solid. By staying in contact with the patrol units on the road they were able to get directions from an officer who knew the area and had an idea of where the trailer might have been.