‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

138

The drive back to Tulsa had limited awkward silences. Taylor spent most of it sleeping huddled up on the back seat.
Before he’d fallen asleep Isaac and Zac had given him the latest update on Taylor and Zac’s families being in Georgia, but Taylor had declined the offer to call Natalie. They were confused, but didn’t want to push him into it all the same.
When they finally made it back to Tulsa they headed straight for the station where they were greeted at the door by Davison. He ushered them inside after shaking Taylor’s hand.
“Did you guys get any sleep?” he asked as he led them into his office.
“I think I caught up on a month’s worth,” Taylor mused.
“And we switched drivers,” Zac shrugged, “so we’re good to go.”
“Great. So who wants to go first?”
“Aren’t the Feds supposed to be here?” Isaac checked.
“They are, they’re waiting in interrogation,” Davison nodded.
Taylor immediately tensed up. Isaac and Zac noticed.
“I guess I’ll go first,” Isaac offered, more out of an older sibling obligation.
“Right this way,” Davison led him from the room.
Once Isaac had been delivered to his interview, Davison returned to the office.
“Taylor… Carlson sent me some of the photos from Reynosa,” he began as he closed the door and walked around to his office chair.
Taylor just gave him a curious look.
“I’ve organised for some heavy duty wire cutters to come and remove the metal from your neck. If you don’t mind, that is.”
Taylor’s hand shot to his throat. He could scarcely remember being without the collar anymore. It had begun to feel like it had always been a part of him.
“Of course,” his eyes lowered when he realised he’d taken a while to reply.
“You weren’t planning on keeping it, were you?” Zac frowned without any hint of humour.
“No,” Taylor replied instantly, “I just… never mind.”
He sank into a chair opposite Davison as Zac remained leaning back against a filing cabinet.
“They should be here within the hour. If Zac takes the next interview you should be free of it by your turn.”
“No problem,” Zac nodded.
“Now boys… I need to talk to you about Nate for a moment,” Davison immediately had their attention, “detaining him is only the beginning, as you know. There could be a very lengthy trial process. Now with modern technology your testimonies can be easily pre-recorded and played for any jury that might assemble, but there is always the possibility that you may have to front a trial.”
“I’ll do whatever it takes,” Zac assured.
“It’s not you I was worried about,” Davison’s eyes were on Taylor.
Taylor looked up and caught his eye, starting to absently scratch his arm.
“Would he be there?” he asked.
“I couldn’t say either way to be honest,” Davison shrugged, “but in such an extreme case… and with a psychological examination pending, I’d say they’d do all they could to make sure he wouldn’t be.”
Taylor nodded as Zac folded his arms defensively.
“I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it,” Taylor offered a fake smile.