‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

139

It wasn’t long after Isaac and Zac traded places that an officer arrived with the wire cutters. Under strict supervision and with Isaac’s help, the collar was cut in two places and finally removed. Taylor ran his hands up and down his neck a few times as if to check that it was really gone.
“Are you okay?” Isaac put a hand on his shoulder.
“Yeah,” Taylor nodded before turning to the officer, “thank you.”
He nodded and took his leave.
“How did it go?” Taylor asked once they were alone with Davison again.
“Pretty much like last time,” Isaac shrugged, “just a longer time period to cover.”
Taylor’s eyebrows rose.
“That could be interesting,” he mused, pulling a foot up onto the chair and hugging his leg.
“They won’t mind if you don’t remember everything,” Davison reminded him.
“I know,” Taylor nodded, “it’s reliving it that I’m worried about.”
“Can one or both of us go in with him?” Isaac had to check.
“Sorry,” Davison shook his head.
“It’s okay,” Taylor reassured his brother, “I just need to get it over and done with.”
“Then you can go home,” Davison offered him a smile.
“Hear that Tay?” Isaac couldn’t help but smile.
“About that…” Taylor began, making Isaac’s smile fade, “I haven’t had the chance to tell anyone, but either Nate or Trent or both have been in my house.”
“What?” Isaac demanded.
“How do you know this?” Davison leant forward.
“Because Nate told me. And he gave me this,” Taylor pulled the necklace from where he still had it hidden in his pocket, “it belongs to my wife. It was kept in our closet.”
He sat it on the desk, Davison’s eyes not moving from the trinket. He could already sense Isaac getting worked up behind him.
“He threatened me while I was in Tampico, saying he’d go after her,” Taylor explained, opting to leave out Penny’s part, “but then he called Ike to gloat and I managed to warn him.”
“That’s why we sent her and Kate to Georgia,” Isaac amended.
“I see,” Davison nodded, “Isaac could he stay with you or Zac for the time being? We’ll need to send forensics to the home and give it a once-over.”
“He let it slip that something happened to the wiring,” Taylor’s eyes narrowed as he recalled, “he did something to it so that Trent could pose as an electrician and gain access while my family was there. And then someone must have gone back at some point because he brought me a change of clothes.”
“Son of a-“ Isaac cut himself off.
“We’ll look into it,” Davison promised, “you have a security system, yes?”
Taylor nodded.
“Then it shouldn’t be too hard. Not that we need another charge to add to Nate’s rap sheet but tracing his whereabouts will certainly keep the Feds happy.”
They looked up as an officer appeared at the door, Zac in tow.
“You’re turn bro,” Zac gave his shoulder a pat as he passed.
“We’ll be right here,” Isaac reminded him as Taylor stood.
“I know. I’ll be okay,” Taylor nodded, “see you soon.”
They watched as he was led from the room, taken to an interview that would take most of the day.