‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

16

Isaac’s head shot up as the sergeant and officer stepped out of the store. He immediately noticed their game faces.
When Davison spotted him they made their way over to where Isaac and Rick stood against the wall.
“We’ve managed to gain the co-operation of the owner,” Davison began.
“What does that mean?” Isaac looked between them.
“It means he’s going to call as soon as Nikolai shows,” the officer explained, “he said it wasn’t unusual at all for him to not show up for work, which is why his nephew was quick to step in as a replacement. However since they had an argument about it he hasn’t gone longer than two days without contacting him at least.”
“So what if they don’t hear from him by tomorrow?” Rick shook his head.
“Then we’ll put a BOLO on him. There’s quite enough security feed to get a good description to pan out.”
“They could be anywhere in forty eight hours,” Isaac rubbed his head anxiously, “we can’t just sit around. I need a trail to follow.”
“The butcher did give us an address,” Davison informed him, “which was Nikolai’s last known home address. According to him, he hasn’t lived there in a couple of years, but we’re going to go down and case the neighbourhood just in case.”
“Can I come with?” Isaac asked straight away, “maybe we could help?”
“Maybe I could be of assistance?” Rick stepped in before Davison could object, “this is my forte, after all. And I could keep Isaac out of trouble.”
He gave him a pointed look, which only made Isaac look to Davison.
“It’s going to take time, you know that right?” Davison seemed to make sure.
“Of course I know that. But at least we’re not starting from scratch,” Isaac pointed out.
Davison hesitated, presumably thinking it over, before grabbing his notebook and writing something down. He tore out the page and before Isaac could grab it he handed it to Rick.
“Keep him out of trouble, and out of sight,” he said determinedly.
“Got it,” Rick nodded.
“I’m only doing this because of our history,” Davison looked to Isaac, “rightfully I shouldn’t be telling you anything. But you and I both know…”
He trailed off, as if not wanting to say it.
“Let’s concentrate on taking this one step at a time,” Rick suggested, breaking the awkward silence that followed.
“Right. You’ve got my number?” Isaac asked Davison.
“Call my cell if you find anything, and I’ll do the same,” Davison nodded.
“Thank you,” Isaac said sincerely, before he and Rick headed back for the car.
The policemen watched as they drove away, before heading back for their patrol car.
“So how far away is it?” Isaac asked, Rick having already plugged the address into the GPS.
“About a half hour. You do realise this could take all night, yeah?”
“I don’t care,” Isaac insisted.
“Of course you don’t. But we should get some sleep at some point. We should choose a cut off time.”
“Let’s just see how we go,” Isaac insisted.
They drove the rest of the way in silence.