‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

18

“I think that’s it for tonight,” Rick said, if somewhat regrettably.
“I can go another hour,” Isaac insisted.
“If we bang down any more doors tonight, we’re going to get shot,” Rick insisted, “it’s too late, and we’re waking people up.”
Isaac rubbed his face tiredly.
“Okay,” he finally relented, holding back a yawn, “but I want to start again first thing.”
“We will,” Rick insisted, starting to lead him back down the street toward where his car was parked.
“Are you going to make it home, or should we find a motel?” Isaac asked, giving him a worried glance all of a sudden.
“I won’t make it,” Rick shook his head, “motel it is.”
“I’ll just message Nikki and tell her what’s happening,” Isaac got his phone out.
“Surprised she let you do this.”
“Pretty sure Kate and Nat have that covered,” Isaac smirked.
He sent the message and put his phone away as they made it to the car.
“We should probably eat, too,” Rick suggested as he got in.
“Probably a good idea,” Isaac sighed, closing his door and putting his belt on.
They drove around for some time as they tried to find a motel, succeeding after about an hour. After a quick refuel and buying some food they headed in to get a restless night’s sleep.

*

Isaac almost jumped out of his skin when his phone rang sometime the next morning. He jumped out of the seedy motel bed and grabbed it from the table.
“Davison?” he asked as he answered it, blinking his eyes as he tried to see.
“Hey Isaac. Just calling about our casing last night…”
“We didn’t get anything,” Isaac admitted reluctantly, looking towards where Rick had sat up and rubbed his eyes.
“We did.”
He had Isaac’s attention.
“A couple of neighbours in the same apartment complex remember the young man living there just over a year ago. They say he mostly kept to himself but had odd visitors at all hours of the day and night which made him stand out.”
“Could any of them help us find him?” Isaac asked.
“One of them had an old contact number he’d given them. We’re going to try a trace on it this morning.”
“When will you know?” Isaac asked, grabbing his watch and cringing at how long they’d slept in.
“A few hours. Depending on what we find, I’ll message or call you later. Wait for us, yeah?”
Isaac sighed.
“Fine. We’ll head back home and wait.”
“Thanks Isaac.”
Isaac hung up and looked across at Rick, still struggling to see with the light in the room.
“They got a phone number,” Isaac revealed, “they’re going to run a trace and see what happens. He said to go home and wait.”
“And are we?” Rick asked.
Isaac just smirked, before going to have a quick shower.