‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

23

“That’s what the Italian guy said,” Rick shook his head as he concentrated, “maybe he just didn’t tell them about it.”
“That’s not suspicious at all,” Isaac kept his eye on the phone, not bothering to put his seatbelt on.
Rick smirked as the phone registered the call connecting, and then turned up the speaker. Nikolai’s voice came through clearly, along with a quieter respondent.
“We’ve got a problem.”
“What, already? Are you shitting me?”
“I don’t know how it happened, but the older brother tracked me down. It hasn’t even been two days!”
Isaac shot Rick a panicked look, which he only returned.
“Deal with it.”
“Deal with it?”
“This is your problem Nathan, not ours. We’re only doing you a favour, it’s your job to tie up the loose ends.”
Rick’s head darted up as Isaac opened his door and got out. Registering what he was going to do he quickly dropped the phone and rushed out after him.
“Ike wait! We should call Davison!” he insisted.
“There’s no time!” Isaac hit back and he entered the store again.
There was no sign of Nikolai.
“Where is he?!” he demanded.
The owner, taken aback by Isaac’s sudden return and now his mood, awkwardly pointed toward their back door. Isaac took off in a rush, hitting the door in a hurry and stepping outside. There was no sign of anybody.
“You’re kidding me,” he rubbed his head as Rick caught up to him.
“Background sounds indicated he was starting a car,” Rick offered, “Ike? We’ll find him. I’ll GPS the signal, and when Davison gets here…”
“That was Nate, wasn’t it?” Isaac turned to him with wide eyes.
“Apparently, yes,” Rick’s face lost colour.
Isaac cringed, closing his eyes.
“I can not believe that just happened,” she said breathlessly, “did I just screw up big time?!”
“You can’t have known,” Rick assured him, “but come on. The faster we call Davison and get on his trail, the less distance he has between us. We’ll find him, I promise.”
After Isaac took a moment to get himself back together, Rick led him back to the car. The call on his phone had ended, so he grabbed it and used it to call the sergeant.
“Davis? Hey, it’s Astley. Listen… we have some news, and it’s not all good. You’d better get down here to the butcher store.”
Isaac listened quietly as Rick gave Davison the details and how they knew them, before absently pulling out his own phone and Googling for a photo of Nathan Devereux. He couldn’t help but feel nauseas when he registered that it was definitely the man he’d just spoken to.
“See you soon,” Rick promised before hanging up, “in the meantime…”
“What are you doing?” Isaac asked, barely keeping a hold on his emotions.
“I’m going to see what else I can get from this phone before he either turns it off or dumps it,” Rick responded, “fingers crossed.”