‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

27

“He just locked the doors. See that?!” Isaac pointed to where the burglar screens had been activated.
He, Rick, Davison and the other officer were crowded around a small monitor as they watched the footage from the store’s security cameras the night Taylor and Zac had gone missing.
“They haven’t realised yet,” Rick said absently as they watched Taylor finally look up.
They saw him grab Zac’s arm and turn to the door, stopping in his tracks when he realised they were locked in. A conversation took place before Nate pulled the knives on them.
“There’s really no audio?” Isaac gave Davison a glance.
“No audio,” he confirmed.
“Zac just went for his phone,” Rick pointed out, “that would by why they lost them.”
“What’s he doing?” the officer squinted as Taylor stepped forward to the counter.
“Phones and wallets,” Isaac slapped the desk, “that’s why they were found in the car.”
They watched as Zac surrendered his as well, then moved off screen.
“Other camera,” Davison realised, switching the footage.
Once he had it going they could see footage from a camera set up by the back door looking down the hall toward the main store. Skipping to the correct time, they saw Taylor, Zac and Nate enter the hallway and stop short at the first door.
“They’re not leaving?” Isaac frowned as Taylor opened the door and stepped back.
“Looks like he put them in the freezer,” the officer looked to Davison.
Isaac put his head in his hands as they disappeared from the camera’s view, Nate emerging on his own moments later with keys in his hand.
“And those would be Taylor’s car keys,” Rick sighed, making Isaac look up again.
“He must come back for them,” Davison assumed, skipping forward once Nate was off the screen.
“This doesn’t answer the question of the receipt,” Isaac said suddenly, “he showed me that Taylor actually paid for the meat. But according to the footage, he didn’t get the chance.”
Davison stopped what he was doing and changed back to the main camera. They watched as Nate returned to grab the phones and wallets, stopping to go through Taylor’s.
“That explains it,” the officer pointed out as they watched him put the transaction through.
“He really thought he was getting away with it clean,” Rick shook his head.
“Over my dead body,” Isaac’s voice lowered.
Rick gave him a pat on the back as Davison swapped the cameras back. Around 3am according to the timer, some black shadows suddenly appeared in the hallway.
“That’s not Nate,” Isaac shook his head.
“And there’s definitely more than two of them,” Rick added.
They watched the dark figures make their way to the freezer, two of them going inside while the third stood watch at the door.
“We won’t get any IDs from this, it’s too dark,” the officer grimaced.
“I take it that was the plan,” Davison replied.
They watched as Zac emerged first, wrapped in a blanket, soon followed by Taylor. The moment they went off screen the footage skipped ahead to the Italian owner opening the store.
“That’s it? We can’t even see how they got away?” Isaac looked up.
“There aren’t any cameras pointing outward,” the officer shook her head.
“That doesn’t mean there aren’t any,” Davison said decidedly, “we just need to find them.”