‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

31

After they’d woken up sometime the following morning, Zac had assumed, Taylor seemed to mostly be back to himself. Their cell had been ‘cleaned out’ sometime the night before which involved the removal of the body from the floor and a quick hose down to get rid of the bloodstains. The sickening smell lingered in the air for quite some time before dissipating throughout the night.
It wasn’t long after they’d woken that a couple of men appeared in the doorway, one of them holding a flashlight and the other with his arms full.
When the door was opened they’d both looked up, Taylor in time to catch something that was thrown to him. When he realised what it was he waited only long enough to make sure that Zac received one as well before taking off the bottle cap and downing the water thirstily.
Two more were thrown into the darkness to their left, and as Taylor stopped to take a breath he caught a glimpse of the flashlight beam hitting one of the other occupants. He found himself taken aback at the sight of him, before realising he probably looked just as dirty and ragged himself. Zac sure did.
As he made a signal for Zac to slow down with his own water, he wondered for a moment why the men were hanging around in there before he was thrown something else. It was a similar bread roll to the one he’d gotten for Zac a couple of days earlier. Making sure Zac also got one first, he dug in.
“We’ll be back for you,” Taylor jumped as the light shone in his face before they left the room again.
Zac waited until they’d walked away before he said anything.
“That doesn’t sound good,” he offered between taking bites.
“It never is,” Taylor reasoned.
“Tay?”
Taylor immediately looked across at him, not liking his tone.
“Not to bring the mood down or anything,” Zac attempted a joke, “but I’m running out of meds.”
“How many do you have left?” Taylor frowned.
“Two days’ worth maybe? I could stretch it to three, but because we can’t see any daylight I’ve just been guessing the hours.”
Taylor nodded, then paused thoughtfully.
“Do they know about them?” he asked.
“I may have mentioned it,” Zac shrugged, “they didn’t seem overly concerned.”
Taylor’s eyes lowered to Zac’s chains, and he hated to admit to himself that they probably hadn’t expected his brother to last this long.
He just hoped it was a test that he’d passed.
“I’ll see if I can do anything,” Taylor offered, “but I don’t know how much leeway we have.”
“Try none?” Zac suggested with a smirk.
Taylor shrugged and continued eating, not knowing how much time he’d have before the men came back for him.
It wasn’t long. He quickly managed to throw Zac his bottle of water with a bit left over in it so that it could be hidden behind him as the men came in and began to unlock his wrists.
“Please, I’m really sorry to bother you,” Taylor began quickly and bracing himself for any punches he might receive for his efforts, “but my brother is running out of medication. He needs it or he could get an infection. Please, I wouldn’t ask if it wasn’t serious!”
“Is that right?” one of them replied smugly as they wrenched Taylor to his feet.