‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

34

Zac looked up as he heard a figure come to stand in the doorway. It was an unusual move, as usually anyone coming past either came to the door with purpose or simply continued on.
He saw the person squinting through the bars, before he shivered as he recognised the face.
Nate.
Not a second later Nate had produced a flashlight and shone it through the door, landing on Zac and temporarily blinding him.
“That one,” he heard him say as he cringed, covering his eyes.
He heard the door open and footsteps entering. They made their way over to him and he lowered his hands just in time to see one of the men who’d fetched Taylor earlier come out with a key to the chains on Zac’s wrists. His heart leapt into his throat as he registered what was happening, and obediently held his arms out.
Once he was detached from the main chain that ran along the wall, he was pulled to his feet. He stumbled a bit at first not having used his legs in days, but managed to walk himself out of the room. Once the door was locked again he was led down the hall in the opposite direction to which Taylor had gone. There was already no sign that Nate had even been there.
They soon hit a stairwell which they took upward, leading into a corridor of doors secured with heavy bolts. They came to door that had been left open and Zac was shoved inside. He quickly looked around, wondering what he was in for, before he was grabbed by the shoulders and led to the centre of the room. Following the eye line of his escort he soon looked to the ceiling and saw the hook.
“You’ve gotta be kidding,” he said flatly.
The man with him landed him a familiar blow across the jaw to what Taylor had been receiving before reaching up to grab the hook. Once Zac had had a chance to recover he took his wrists and secured them over his head. Zac cringed as he felt the unnatural pull on his arms, before he felt the hook being raised a little. A moment later he was well and truly stuck on his tip toes. His escort gave him a once over before leaving the room, and Zac heard the bolt move into place.
He immediately looked up to try and see how the chains were secured above his head, but he couldn’t see past his arms.
By the time his arms had a chance to get settled into their new positions, the door opened again.
“And this would be the other one you were asking about,” a man in a grey suit said as he opened the door for a slightly shorter woman to walk through, “the one with some health issues.”
“Have they been resolved?” Zac immediately noted the thick Mexican accent.
“It appears to be an ongoing issue,” the man informed her regretfully, coming to stand next to her while checking his clipboard, “he appears to have had a lung transplanted sometime in the past, and is on medication for the foreseeable future. Would that be a problem?”
Zac’s eyes darted between the two, but he stayed silent.
“I don’t see why,” she regarded Zac curiously, “are you sure they’re brothers?”
Zac clenched his teeth at the reference to Taylor, realising now who she actually was.
“Pretty sure. He was also a musician, this one a drummer. Of course also from a large family, and this one is a father of two… and he did pass all of his medicals otherwise.”
Zac also picked up on the use of the word ‘was’.
“Can he talk?” she frowned suddenly, making Zac give her an odd look.
“He is able,” the man looked up expectantly.