‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

36

Taylor’s head shot up as he heard movement in the hall. When he saw that it was Zac returning, a wave of relief washed over him.
Zac was brought in and chained back into the same position, his escort giving his head a shove into the wall before he took his leave. Zac hissed through his teeth and put his hands to his head. Once the footsteps had faded away he let loose.
“Oww! Son of a bitch!”
Taylor grunted to himself, before leaning forward and brushing the dirt around on the floor with his hands.
Zac looked up curiously at what he was doing before spotting his predicament.
“Damn. And I thought it was my turn to have a bad day.”
Taylor finished what he was doing and then sat to the side a little so that what little light was coming through the door made it to the floor. Then he began writing in the dirt.
“This’ll be fun,” Zac sat forward a little, wincing as his arms returned to their dormant state.
He watched as Taylor wrote ‘are you ok?’
“Fine,” Zac nodded, “I think I met that woman you were talking about though. She seemed interested, but apparently I have another bidder.”
Taylor frowned, then wrote ‘bidder?’
“Yeah,” Zac shook his head, “turns out I’m wanted. Go me. Now what happened to you?”
Taylor hesitated, brushing the dirt over again. When he figured out what to write, he simply put ‘Nate’.
“I saw him,” Zac nodded, “he stopped at the door and shone a light in at me before I got taken out. Thought I was going to have a run in with him myself but he disappeared. Did he do this to you?”
Taylor waved his hand a little before writing the word ‘taser’. Zac’s eyebrows rose.
“No kidding,” he bit his lip.
Taylor brushed the dirt out again and sat back a little.
“So. Charades,” Zac rolled his eyes.
Taylor began massaging his jaw, it starting to hurt already from being forced open.
“How was your training session?” Zac asked.
Taylor paused thoughtfully, then wrote ‘quiet’. Zac chuckled.
“I’ll bet,” he mused, “did you do something? Or was he just being an ass?”
Taylor grunted a little and again wrote ‘Nate’. Zac nodded knowingly.
“Fair enough,” he said, before looking behind him.
He felt around in the dark for a moment before coming up with the water bottle Taylor had left with him. He carefully used it to take one of the two pills he had left before returning it to its hiding spot.
“Do they realise you won’t be able to eat anything either?” he asked.
Taylor just nodded, hanging his head.
After another moment Zac slowly began to lay himself down, and when Taylor saw what he was doing he settled himself down too. As he lay on his back he breathed heavily for a while as he tried to get used to the gag being there, but eventually he rolled onto his side and found that it helped at least a little.
“You definitely can’t get it off?” Zac asked when he saw that he was struggling with it.
Taylor put a hand to his head, finding the lock, and pointed it out.
“Bummer,” Zac sighed, not knowing what else to say or do.