‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

39

“They came through?”
“They came through. We’ve got agents following them down the highway as we speak. There’s a few dead spots between towns but once they hit civilisation – hopefully Dallas – we should be able to lock them down. How is Dallas anyway?”
“So close and yet so far?” Isaac sighed, “but at least if I’m here I can feel as if I’m doing something, even if I’m not.”
“Or you could just be ready to step in,” Davison pointed out, “in case something comes up.”
“That’s probably a better way to look at it, yeah. So how long do you think it will take?”
“Best guess, the better part of an hour. They’re being careful to make sure it’s the right van after all, and- what?”
Isaac frowned as he heard some talking in the background, Rick giving him a curious look from the other motel bed.
“Excuse me Isaac, I won’t be a moment.”
“Okay,” Isaac nodded.
“So what’s happening?” Rick asked as Isaac pulled the phone away from his ear and put it on speaker.
“Texas came through with the traffic cams,” Isaac replied, “they’re following them now.”
“Great!”
“Isaac, are you there?”
“Yeah we’re both here,” he responded, holding the phone out between he and Rick.
“They lost them.”
“What do you mean?” Isaac frowned the moment Rick said “how could they lose them already?”
“No, this is actually a good thing. Somewhat,” Davison tried to curb the momentary panic, “we’ve lost them in a split between two highway patrol cameras. This means they stopped somewhere in the middle. Sorry Ike, but they went through Dallas… they’re not there. They must be out near Fort Worth somewhere.”
“Then we’ll head over there now then,” Isaac looked to Rick for confirmation, who nodded.
“Texas is going to send out some highway patrol units to scour the area in question, see how many places they could have pulled off. Unfortunately the satellite is sketchy on this area for the last couple of weeks because of cloud cover, so we’ll be working from the ground only.”
“Of course it is,” Rick rolled his eyes.
“The task force agents are already on their way to Dallas as we speak.”
“Are you coming down?” Isaac raised his eyebrows.
“It’s out of our jurisdiction,” Davison replied, “sorry. But we’ve got some pretty good guys on the case. One or two have promised to keep us in the loop. But try and stay out of their way all the same, yeah?”
Rick gave Isaac a pointed look. He ignored it.
“When will they reach Dallas?”
“Within the next couple of hours. They’ll case Fort Worth first thing tomorrow and decide what they’re doing from there. The Texan patrols might come up with something by then, hopefully.”
“We’re crossing our fingers. And everything else,” Rick sat back a little.
“Thanks for the updates Davison. We’ll call you from Fort Worth,” Isaac promised.
“Stay safe guys. We’re closing in.”