‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

46

The following morning Taylor went about doing all of Charlie’s tasks himself, as instructed. Charlie watched him like a hawk every step of the way, occasionally stepping in just to set something ‘perfect’ in his eye. By the time their master returned for his lunch at midday, Taylor was feeling nervous again. He soon understood why when he and Charlie were both called into the dining room once he’d finished.
“352, your progress has been astounding,” he said in a simple tone, throwing a napkin aside and steepling his fingers.
“I believe you are ready to move on. I’ve organised a flight for tonight to take us to your new home.”
Charlie gave Taylor a glance, who kept his eyes to the floor. The master addressed Charlie next.
“Make sure you have him ready by five. I’ll take my dinner and then we’ll be on our way.”
“Yes Master,” Charlie nodded.
“Dismissed,” he waved them away.
Taylor followed Charlie from the room, wondering what on Earth he’d have to do to be ‘ready’. It wasn’t as if he needed to pack anything. Charlie didn’t offer any information, just insisted that Taylor carry on with his daily duties.
As it neared 5pm while they were working on the evening meal, Taylor nervously reminded Charlie of the time. He quickly finished up what he’d been doing, before indicating for Taylor to follow him from the kitchen. He led him back to the bedroom where he detached the padlock from the chain by the bed.
“You’ll need your hands behind you,” he instructed.
Taylor swallowed uneasily, but didn’t hesitate in what he asked. Charlie locked his cuffs together before making his way to a cupboard in the room that Taylor hadn’t seen opened yet. His heart sank when he saw that it was a cupboard full of restraining methods.
Charlie selected a cloth gag and returned to Taylor’s side. Without a word, he tied it on. He quickly glanced at the time and went to fetch two more things from the cupboard – both black, so Taylor couldn’t tell what they were – before ushering Taylor back down the stairs. They heard the main doors opening as they reached the bottom, signalling the master’s return. Instead of taking him to the dining room where they had yet to serve the meal, Charlie took Taylor into the living room and indicated for him to wait there. He knelt in his usual spot as Charlie left the room.
Sometime later, presumably after his dinner, the master made his appearance.
“Come,” he beckoned from the doorway.
Taylor struggled to get up for a moment, before obeying. The master took him by the arm and led him past the dining room where Charlie was already cleaning up and out to the main doors. Taylor saw that the sun was just beginning to set as he was taken outside, and then through a side gate. Waiting beside the building was a van that looked eerily similar to the one that had first brought him here just over two weeks earlier.
The master stopped at the back doors and opened them before helping Taylor inside. He took a seat on one of the benches as the doors closed and locked behind him, before he heard the man’s footsteps walk around to the driver’s door and get in. Wondering a little at no one else accompanying them, he braced his feet as the van started to move.
The ride didn’t feel very long, and the moment the doors were opened again it was obvious that they were at an airport. Taylor managed to get out without much help, and the moment he looked up he saw the small Cessna they’d parked beside.