‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

47

“Isaac?”
“Yes…?” he answered the phone.
“Wherever you are, pull over.”
Isaac frowned, but indicated for Rick to pull over. When he’d done so, Isaac confirmed it.
“I need you to tell me exactly where you are.”
“Why?” Isaac’s curiosity had been sparked, “are we in trouble?”
“On the contrary,” Carlson’s voice smirked, “I need to give you directions.”
Isaac’s eyes couldn’t help but light up and he turned to Rick as he began to try and describe exactly where they’d stopped. There wasn’t much in the way of unique scenery, but the fact that they’d been going up and down the same stretch of highway for a number of days now made it easier to pin point.
“Okay,” Carlson took a deep breath, “check your counter. You need to turn around and head back exactly 4.6 miles. Exactly 4.6. There’ll be a patrol car waiting. Head down the dirt track and we’ll be waiting for you at the end.”
“Is it definitely them?” Isaac asked after relaying the information to Rick so that he could leave straight away.
“We’ve had visual confirmation. But be careful. We’re trying to stay out of sight until we can get a helicopter in the air to scope out the grounds. The place is huge.”
“So we still don’t know exactly what’s going on?” Isaac winced a little.
“No, but I have the feeling we’re about to step into something much bigger than expected.”
“Are you there?”
“Ready and waiting for you.”
“Okay,” Isaac nodded with a sigh, “then we’ll see you soon.”
When he hung up, Rick glanced across at him.
“What’s that look for?” he frowned.
“I don’t know,” Isaac shook his head honestly, “they think they’ve found the place, but… Carlson’s worried.”
“And we’re not?” Rick pointed out, “we don’t have an entire task force on our side for no reason.”
“Please just let this be over tonight,” Isaac murmured as he spotted the aforementioned patrol car up ahead and pointed it out, “that’s gotta be it.”
Rick pulled in, getting a wave through from the officer, and they headed down the track. About a half mile in they met with a small congregation of cars and a surveillance van.
As Isaac got out of the car he was approached by an officer in SWAT uniform.
“Carlson,” Isaac smiled as he shook his hand.
“Isaac. Nice to meet you outside of a car window,” he mused, “so this is what we have. The building is actually centred on the next road in…”
He used his hands for emphasis on describing where they were in relation.
“As soon as the sun’s finished going down, we’ll be getting a chopper in the air with heat-seeking technology so we can work out where everyone is. Once we get the visuals the force will be organising a raid.”
“A raid?” Rick frowned, “exactly how many people are we expecting?”
“A lot,” Carlson’s eyebrows rose, “since I called we’ve scouted three vans coming and going already.”
“Coming and going? So there’s a possibility they might not even be here?” Isaac demanded.