‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

05

Taylor jumped a little as he registered footsteps outside, just enough to wake Zac from his dozing.
“Someone’s here,” he said softly, making Zac look up.
They otherwise didn’t move as they listened to the door being pried open. When they didn’t recognise the men they saw they couldn’t help but be hopeful, until they realised they’d come prepared with blankets. They’d known they were there.
“Get up,” the first man ordered as they walked in, “and let’s get you warmed up.”
“I know he said they were on ice, but literally?” the second one smirked.
Taylor managed to pull his arms from around Zac just as Zac sat up. It wasn’t fast enough however, and the first man pulled Zac up by the arm. He flinched at the sudden movement, not yet able to move his arms from his chest and stomach, as a blanket was wrapped around his shoulders.
“Let’s hurry up and get them out of here,” the second man made for Taylor.
Taylor tried to stand up himself as he was also given a blanket, quickly wrapping it around his shoulders as he watched Zac being taken from the room. Glad that the blanket appeared to have been warmed up previously, he followed the first two out.
They were led to the right, down to a door that led to the outside. It was still very dark out there signalling that it was still the early hours of the morning.
Parked back against the rear of the building was a courier van with blacked out windows. Taylor paused when he saw it, soon receiving a shove in the back to keep him moving. When they made it to the back, Zac was pulled in.
“What’s going on? Where are you taking us?” Taylor looked between the men.
Without warning he was suddenly clocked across the jaw from the man beside him. He cried out and held his face, Zac turning back to see what had happened.
“Sit there,” the first man ordered him.
Knowing fully well that he was way too weak to put up a fight at this point, Zac sat back obediently onto the bench installed in the back of the van. He watched as his brother was pushed forward and pulled up into the van, soon enough sitting by his side.
“You okay?” Zac’s voice still shivered.
Taylor nodded, his eyes not leaving the man that had hit him.
The three men got into the back with them and closed the doors, one of them banging on the side panels as a signal for the driver to get going.
“Lock ‘em up,” came the previously unheard voice of the third man with them.
Taylor and Zac both looked across at him, before spying the first man pulling some handcuffs from a cardboard box that had been sitting across from them. Taylor’s eyes widened as Zac just closed his.
“We don’t need them, I-“
“Shut up!” the second man hit Taylor again.
Zac flinched, wishing he was simply able to move enough to hug him. He didn’t bother putting up a fight as the cuffs clicked around his wrists, but he was already more worried about his brother who he knew must have been at least minorly freaking out over the prospect of once again being in cuffs.
They went on without hassle, and Taylor once again held his throbbing face as the van started to pull out of the alley.
Two of the men settled onto the bench across from the brothers, the other taking a seat beside Taylor. Knowing it was the man who’d hit him – twice now – Taylor avoided eye contact.
“Better call ahead and let them know we’re on our way,” he’d suggested.