‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

56

“You’ll also be expected to help out with odd jobs while the children are otherwise incapacitated. But we’ll try to keep that to a minimum at first while the others get used to having you around.”
Taylor just nodded.
“Until then I’d like you to either stay in your stall or by my side. Do you speak any Spanish?”
“No Miss,” Taylor blushed again.
“Good. Certain people will be glad to know you aren’t potentially eavesdropping.”
Taylor frowned to himself, wondering who he’d even tell anything to.
“You will be expected to keep a neat appearance as well. I will show you to a bathroom I expect you to use,” she went on, eyes never leaving him, “and we’ll need to measure you for some new clothes. You’re taller than I remember you being. Your leathers will have to go.”
Taylor looked up worriedly as she began to make her way toward him.
“Give me your hands,” she instructed.
Taylor obediently raised them, baring his wrists. It took her a moment, but she removed the leather cuffs. Aside from having them replaced when he’d had a shower at the master’s house, they hadn’t been off since his first couple of days in captivity. It was an odd sensation and he held his bare wrists awkwardly when she was done.
“I’ll leave the collar on until it can be replaced. We’ll need the blacksmith to do that,” she revealed.
Taylor swallowed at that, wondering why.
“And I should warn you, that while you are… what is the term… working out your new found freedoms, everyone is keeping a careful eye on you. I don’t think you need to be told what will happen if you try to do anything to harm me or my kin.”
“No Miss,” Taylor shook his head insistently.
“Good.”

*

As the afternoon wore on, Taylor spent the majority of it following the woman around as she went about her daily routine. He caught glimpses of the children now and again, but she always sent them on their way. As the evening approached she returned him to the stables, assuring him that someone named ‘Ibby’ would bring him something to eat. After she’d gone, he stretched the chain out so that he could sit by the gate and watch the sun setting through the slats.
It was well after dark when he heard footsteps approaching. When the gate opened he looked up to see the African again, holding onto a plate of food. Taylor smiled thankfully as it was handed down to him, before realising the man was just going to stand there and wait for him to finish it. Awkwardly, he hurried to eat it.
When he was done he handed the plate back. The African took it and set it aside. Taylor frowned curiously before he indicated for Taylor to follow him out.
Taylor’s eyes widened slightly and he shook his head. He’d been told to stay in the stall.
The African persisted, and finally Taylor just grabbed the chain and held it up to emphasise that he wasn’t going anywhere. With a knowing look, the man stepped inside and went to unhook the chain. Taylor froze, not wanting to move but unsure if he was going to be able to resist if the man pulled him out. Which is exactly what he did.
Taylor’s eyes darted warily as he stepped out, the African closing the gate after him. He led him in the opposite direction that they usually took, coming out at the other end of the stables. When they followed a rough path through the trees, they soon met up with three other young men.