‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

07

The next morning, Isaac was steadily beginning to panic. No one had heard from either Taylor or Zac since they’d left Zac’s house the previous afternoon. Adding the extremely minute chances of both their phones being either off or dead, and Isaac was not a happy camper.
He’d barely woken up sometime after sunrise when his phone rang.
“Hello?”
“Hey Isaac, it’s Rick. Any word?”
Isaac smiled slightly, knowing he was sharing his panic with at least a few other people this time.
“No word. Can you…?”
“I’ll track the GPS in their phones, if that’s what you’re asking, yes. I’m on my way to you now and I’ll do it when I get there.”
“Thanks Rick, see you soon.”
They hung up and Isaac put his phone down, before making his way into the study to start up his computer and have it ready.
He mulled over how helpful Rick would have been all those years ago. They’d met him the day of the big showdown at the border – he was one of the patrol officers on duty, and had been the one to literally cut Taylor free. Since then they’d managed to keep in contact, and not just for Christmas card lists. Admittedly they didn’t see him as much these days, but there was still the occasional call just to check in.
It was about half an hour until Rick pulled into Isaac’s driveway. Isaac met him at the door.
“Thanks for coming,” he showed him in, “I’m still hoping it’s nothing, but it’s been all night. And you know how Taylor’s been with making plans ever since…”
“Yes I know. Let’s see if we can track them down, shall we?” Rick headed for the study.
He jumped onto the computer and picked up a police tracking website, sent through his login credentials, and waited.
“Got the details handy?” he asked.
Isaac grabbed a nearby notebook and handed it to him.
“Okay. We’ll try Taylor first.”
He typed in the details and hit search. They waited as the graphics on screen signalled the triangulation of the GPS signal, slowly zooming in on the streets of Tulsa.
“Where were they headed last night?” Rick asked.
“To a friend’s place, out that way,” Isaac pointed to the general area on the screen map, “they were supposed to be taking food with them, but ended up having to buy something on the way. I’m thinking if something happened… that’s when. But because we don’t know where exactly they went we can’t just follow their footsteps, so to speak.”
“Following their footsteps now,” Rick couldn’t help but smile, “okay, so his phone was turned off last night around six, but the GPS stayed on of course.”
“So glad you talked us into getting those things installed,” Isaac shook his head.
“Looks like it was turned off at that intersection,” Rick pointed, “but I should be able to get some further details. Looks like an industrial district so that would be where they stopped for the food.”
“But why would he turn his phone off?” Isaac shrugged.
“Million dollar question. Let’s see… Then I’ve got it travelling West, and…” he paused.
“What?” Isaac asked, worried.
“Into the river?” Rick looked up at him, confused, “looks like the phone was dumped.”