‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

71

In the days since the press conference, the Hansons had gone through a complete emotional rollercoaster. The tips had come flooding in, but each one proved to be less useful than the last. Davison had taken care not to get their hopes up about anything they heard, but when there were constant rumours flying around and the media remaining on their back about every little detail, it was hard to not get caught up in the hype.
Carlson was a part of the now split task force that had returned to Tulsa – the other half remaining in Dallas. Knowing that the abduction had originated in Tulsa and that Nate had obviously built himself a life there, they remained interested in keeping the main focus of the Devereux investigation stationed there. Dallas was a whole other story, and while half the task force remained dedicated to the investigation there, that was more a national incident now and some of the top agents from New York and Washington were flown in to take it over.
Being that it was impossible to get back to any sort of normal work routine without Taylor around, Isaac and Zac had spent the time as if on holiday – just spending time with their families. Zac especially had been careful to take a step back from the media coverage considering his involvement, which had only made them more hungry to begin with. However as the days wore on only the dedicated few remained on the story as the world moved on to more interesting headlines.
Davison had begun keeping them updated by calling Isaac once every few days, and they in turn kept Rick informed. But when the news began to be repetitive Isaac assured Davison he didn’t have to call unless they had a real lead.
Isaac was still having a hard time coming to terms with how close he’d originally been to capturing Nate himself. The ‘what ifs’ had been killing him, and Zac was well aware. When the story came out of how Isaac had spoken to him Zac hadn’t taken the news very easily. But it was now almost a month and a half and his primary focus had well and truly moved on. He hoped Isaac’s would soon, too.
The brothers had kept up the daily phone calls regardless of any other news shared.
“So how about that local sports team?”
“Is it really getting that bad?” Isaac smirked.
“Well, no. But the only other thing I have to talk about right now…”
Isaac waited as Zac gathered his thoughts.
“Okay. I figured out how to fill the gap in that song Tay was working on.”
“Really?” Isaac’s eyebrows rose.
“Yeah, but… you know. I don’t know if I should.”
Isaac scratched his head, glancing idly over at a guitar case sitting in the corner.
“What are you doing tomorrow?” he asked suddenly.
“Same thing I’ve been doing every day. Plotting to take over the world.”
“Come over in the morning,” Isaac gave a small smile, “and we’ll see what we can do about it.”
“Do you remember the piano parts?”
“I’m sure we can figure it out. Besides, there are recordings somewhere.”
“Pretty sure they’d be at Nat’s place.”
“Want to stop over on your way here then?”
“I could, I could. Anything else I should get while I’m there?”
“Ah… I think we’re pretty well covered. Unless you think there’s something else you’ll need?”
“I’m good. See you about eight?”