‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

77

A heavy footstep in the hay was all the warning Taylor got before he felt the knee in his back.
“Hello Taylor,” came an all-too familiar voice.
“NO!” Taylor cried out, his right arm immediately swinging back to grab the knee.
Nate saw it coming and grabbed it easily.
“I’ve brought some old friends along,” he said snidely, as he quickly fastened a cable tie around Taylor’s wrist – attaching it to his left elbow.
Realising what he was doing Taylor struggled harder, but Nate knew what he was doing. In seconds Taylor was restrained once again in the way he was the very first time they’d met.
When he was done he grabbed Taylor by the hair and sat him back against the wall, roughly hitting his head back against the wooden panels. Taylor only cringed as he tried to catch his breath.
“Now that’s better, isn’t it?” Nate grabbed his chin, looking it over appreciatively, “no more facial hair, and your hair is back to its proper length.”
Taylor pulled himself out of Nate’s grip, falling onto his side slightly.
“What do you want?” his voice shook.
“What, a guy can’t call in on an old friend?” Nate feigned dejection.
Taylor held back a roll of his eyes, twisting his wrists as he tested the bonds.
“You got what you wanted. I can’t leave,” he said as he looked him in the eye, “so leave me be.”
“Oh but this is too much fun,” Nate gave him a pat on the cheek.
He stood up from where he’d been kneeling, grabbing hold of the length of chain as he did so. Taylor rushed to find his footing as he was pulled up by the throat.
“Besides, I brought you a present.”
Taylor’s eyes fell to where Nate reached into a pocket, pulling out a slender silver chain with a delicate crucifix on the end. Taylor’s breath caught in his throat as his eyes widened.
“Where did you get that?” his voice shook even more.
“We’ve been busy back in Tulsa, Trent and I…” Nate began tauntingly, swinging the chain and watching Taylor’s eyes follow it, “myself causing chaos… and Trent rectifying it. It was surprisingly easy to gain access to your house posing as an electrician when the wiring suddenly went askew.”
“Leave my family alone,” Taylor lacked the warning tone he’d hope would come out.
“I’m sorry, have you learnt nothing from your time here?” Nate frowned, “you’re talking as if I’d actually be interested in anything you have to say.”
Taylor looked to the ceiling, a whole new wave of fear coursing through him now.
“But never mind,” Nate brushed off, suddenly pulling him backwards by the chain.
He began looping it over the lever against the wall where the end was fastened, stopping only when there was no leverage for Taylor to either kneel or stand up straight. He was caught at an awkward angle where his bent legs bore his weight.
“As fun as it is to torment you, I’m actually here to torture your brother,” he revealed.
“What?” Taylor was immediately confused as he struggled to balance himself.
“I don’t appreciate being followed to the extent that I have been, and a little birdy tells me that your brother has figured out that you’re in Mexico,” Nate had pulled out his phone and started playing with it, “so I just need you to help me convince him to stay in Tulsa a little while longer. You can do that, can’t you?”
“I don’t take orders from you,” Taylor said decidedly, finally allowing defiance in his eyes.
“Then I guess you won’t need to talk,” familiar silver tape appeared in Nate’s hands.