‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

08

“Try Zac,” Isaac insisted, still trying to keep himself calm.
Rick restarted the program after taking notes of Taylor’s phone’s last co-ordinates. Then he tried the same thing with Zac’s details.
“Okay his phone was turned off slightly earlier,” Rick’s eyes narrowed as he looked through the coding, “triangulating his last position now.”
Isaac took a deep breath as he waited, hoping for a different outcome. There was always the possibility that Taylor’s phone had been stolen, after all.
“Isaac look up this address,” Rick said suddenly, pulling him out of his daze, “because it just came up for Zac as well. It’s where his phone was turned off.”
“On it,” Isaac took the notepad and left the room.
He found his own phone and returned to the study, quickly looking up the address in his directory.
“It’s a butcher,” he looked up, “that definitely sounds like somewhere they would have gone.”
“Okay so the phones were at least together then,” Rick nodded, sending the GPS trace forward, “and now… crud.”
“What?”
“Back to the river. Both their cells hit the water, Isaac.”
Isaac returned the notepad to the desk.
“Do you know exactly where?” his eyes searched the screen.
“I believe there’s a couple of boat ramps there, but I’ll see if I can narrow it down between the two of them,” Rick shook his head, “Ike? I don’t like the look of this.”
“Me neither.”
“We should call the station. At the very least let them know what’s going on. They might not want you going down there on your own.”
“Like they’re going to stop me?” Isaac couldn’t help but chuckle.
“Look, last time you were lucky, okay?” Rick tried to reason, “and you knew they were heading for the border. Now they could be anywhere in Tulsa, or beyond now even. The GPS might be the metal detector for your needle in the haystack, but it’s still only a faint idea.”
“Is this you trying to talk me out of it? Because you’re sounding pretty convinced that this isn’t just a misunderstanding all of a sudden.”
“Tell me your gut isn’t saying something’s wrong,” Rick scorned, “because mine sure is. It has been all night.”
“Which means we shouldn’t waste any time,” Isaac grabbed his phone and the notepad and left the room.
Rick glanced back at the computer before jumping up to follow him.
“You’re going now?” he frowned as he shadowed him down the hallway.
“Waiting only lets them get further away,” Isaac reasoned, grabbing his car keys and stopping just to write a note, “I found them once, Rick. I can find them again.”
“You’re not going alone,” Rick insisted, “let me get a few things out of the car, and-“
“You’re coming with?” Isaac looked up in surprise, “I thought you were trying to talk me out of it?”
“If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em?” Rick shrugged, “I’m not letting you go after them alone – especially if it’s the kind of trouble we know too well. And this time, we’re going in prepared. I’m bringing my hardware.”
Isaac grinned as he stood up and turned off the lights, “I like the sound of that.”