‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

84

“Are you sure it was Trent?” Davison’s eyebrows rose.
“That was him!” Isaac pointed to the photo on Davison’s phone, “except his hair was shorter and his beard was longer!”
“Tay’s the only one of us who’s ever seen this guy up close,” Zac cut in, “but I believe him.”
“Are you doubting me after the Nate thing?” Isaac frowned.
“I don’t doubt that you think you saw him,” Davison assured.
“While this whole interrogating business is something we’re all really familiar with,” Zac held back a roll of his eyes, “maybe we should concentrate on tracking the guy down?”
“I did see him,” Isaac said between his teeth.
“Can we utilise some traffic cams?” Zac suggested, “that’s how you found me, right?”
“We’re going to need a warrant,” Davison replied, “and we’re going to need more than Isaac’s word to get one. Especially considering the circumstances.”
“Davis?” the officer suddenly called from the car, “we got details on the plate.”
Davison made his way over, Zac flanking him. Rick gave Isaac’s shoulder a reassuring squeeze.
“Car’s stolen,” Zac heard the officer say.
“Of course it is,” Davison grumbled, “why would Trent McCall attempt a kidnapping in his own car?”
“It was a local steal, too,” the officer looked up, “he’s been close.”
Zac had heard enough and gone back to Isaac.
“Stolen car,” he revealed, “from somewhere nearby. Apparently the dude’s been hanging around.”
“Tay was really panicked,” Isaac insisted, “he had to have reason for that. They may have been watching the house for all we know.”
“They could have been watching all of us,” Zac shrugged, “how would we know? It’s not like they’re going to announce it.”
Isaac rubbed his head in frustration.
“So what are you guys going to do about it?” Rick looked between them.
“I’m going to see the girls off tonight,” Zac looked to Isaac.
“Then we need to head to Tampico,” he said, “Rick, could I ask you a favour?”
“Anything,” he nodded.
“I need you to keep an eye on Nikki,” Isaac looked regretful, “if they’re hanging around and I’m not going to be here-“
“Say no more,” Rick cut him off, “happy to oblige. She and the boys are welcome to stay with us.”
“Thank you,” Isaac said sincerely.
“I’ll head back to mine and help Kate get ready,” Zac thumbed over his shoulder, “I’ll call you when they’re gone?”
“Let me know if anything happens,” Isaac insisted.
“You’ll be the first.”
“Need an escort?” Rick offered.
“I think we’re okay,” Zac nodded, “I think the moment’s genuinely passed. But I know who to call.”
Rick nodded.
“Be careful,” Isaac told him.
“I will,” Zac saluted before heading back to his car.
“I’ll head home and help set up some beds,” Rick took a step back.
“And I’ll let Nikki in on the good news,” Isaac pulled out his phone.