‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

86

“Stop it,” Isaac groaned.
“Can’t,” Zac replied, in reference to his bouncing knee.
“Do you want to drive?” Isaac’s eyebrows rose.
“I should get some sleep, right?”
“Right.”
“I can’t sleep.”
Isaac rolled his eyes.
“Then you drive and I’ll sleep. We have at least another fifteen hours or driving ahead of us.”
“We should have flown,” Zac frowned.
“Then it would have taken longer.”
Zac looked out the window, watching the trees fly by as they headed back toward Dallas.
“Okay I’ll drive,” he said after a long moment of silence.
Isaac sighed and pulled off the highway so they could change places.
“And don’t crank the music, either. I’m actually going to sleep,” Isaac said pointedly.
Zac raised his hands in surrender as he walked around the car.
Isaac got into the back seat and settled himself down as Zac got in the driver’s seat and began down the highway again. Instead of bouncing his knee however, he began tapping on the steering wheel instead.
“Stop it,” Isaac soon grumbled.
Zac clenched his teeth, somehow finding the self-control to comply.

*

When it was over, Carlos had unhooked the chains from the top of the pole but not from the pole itself. This allowed Taylor to collapse to the ground but still meant that he wouldn’t be going anywhere. He’d been barely conscious at the time and didn’t register what had happened until an hour or so later when he managed to shift himself so that he was sitting sideways and could lean against it.
His back felt like it was on fire, and his body convulsed as it struggled to begin the healing process.
As the sun set and the rainclouds moved in he slowly began to become more aware of his surroundings. He’d been left there once it was over, and apart from workers passing through the yards he hadn’t seen anyone since and no one had paid him any attention. He finally worked up the nerve just before dark to reach up and pull the gag down to his neck, taking a deep breath of air once he’d done so.
It was well after dark and the rains had started falling by the time he spotted Siemme making his way toward him. He tried to sit up further but when the pain in his back hit him he had to slouch over again.
Siemme showed Taylor his hands in a sign that he wasn’t going to hurt him before gingerly touching his shoulder and turning Taylor to the side so he could see his back. Taylor closed his eyes and winced as Siemme touched some tender spots on his back as he inspected the damage before he looked up as he heard someone calling from across the yard.
Siemme stood back as Ibby made his way over, appearing to scold him. Taylor looked between them in confusion before Siemme gave him an apologetic look and took his leave. Ibby watched after him, before giving Taylor a glance and following. Taylor slumped back against the pole, realising quickly that they must have been warned away from him.