‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

92

“I just got a text from Rick,” Isaac said as Zac set the coffees on the table and took his seat again.
“Anything we can use?” he asked, putting his feet up on the next chair.
“Maybe,” Isaac frowned, “the airport Tay’s plane landed at was actually a bit further North, they think.”
“So he’s not in Tampico?” Zac adjusted his sunglasses.
“No… it’s not a main airport,” Isaac was texting a reply, “looks like it might be a private one.”
“Awesome,” Zac toasted his coffee, “private planes and private runways. All purchased with money used to buy people. Sounds great. Who knows what else they have up their sleeves.”
“In Mexico? I’d probably lean more toward guns. Lots of them.”
“Even better.”
There was a pause as Zac drank his coffee and Isaac conversed with Rick.
“We’re being told to head North on the… De Los Rios?” Isaac shook his head.
“Then we should go check out,” Zac said decidedly, standing up immediately.
Isaac glanced up before going back to his phone.
“Maybe when we have an actual destination?” he suggested.
“You text, I’ll drive,” Zac insisted, grabbing Isaac’s coffee in his other hand.
“Deal,” Isaac stood.
They walked back across the street to their car and headed back for the motel. Barely an hour later, they had handed in the keys and were on their way North.
“Do we know how far to go?” Zac asked.
“I’d say at least an hour,” Isaac shrugged, “he’s relaying from Davison and the network’s not great here.”
Zac nodded.
“And to make sure we’re not running into an ambush…? You know the whole gun angle is not leaning this whole thing in our favour.”
“The moment we need backup we’ll get it,” Isaac assured.
“And that’s another thing,” Zac looked confused, “I know I missed out on the whole ‘by the way we’re going to Tampico’ conversation with Davison because I had to help the girls get away, but at what point did he not even consider sending a team down here? Isn’t there supposed to be some kind of negotiations happening between the US and Mexico about the human trafficking thing? Why aren’t they following the same leads that we are?”
“Because Davison’s team is focused on finding Nate. And now Trent,” Isaac explained, “Carlson’s team is focused on the whole kidnapping situation in Dallas. That’s all we hear from. I have no idea what this big national team is supposed to be doing, but I’m pretty sure their main focus is the trafficking situation. In the grand scheme of things, I don’t think anyone cares so much about Taylor.”
Zac ran his hand through his hair as he pondered that.
“Surely they’d be following the leads though,” he shook his head, “by finding Tay they’ve cut off at least one of the heads, right?”
“They may not see it that way,” Isaac shrugged, “maybe more so Tay being an acceptable loss overall.”
“This sucks,” Zac clenched his teeth.
“You’re telling me,” Isaac took a deep breath before finally trying his coffee, “but there you go.”