‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

95

“Him first,” the woman instructed, pointing a finger in Zac’s direction.
The men obliged, taking a chain from Ibby and using it to secure Zac’s wrists behind his back.
“Please don’t hurt them,” Taylor’s eyes went to the woman.
“And now speaking out of turn,” Taylor cringed as the master grabbed him by the hair, “I see the indiscretions are becoming more frequent.”
“Let him go!” Zac scowled, having to be held back again.
“Your brother seems to think he’s in a position of power here,” the master leant in to Taylor slightly, “perhaps we should show him just how wrong he is.”
“Please don’t,” Taylor whispered, before crying out as he was shoved forward.
Losing balance he fell down onto his side, the master taking the opportunity to step on the chain as close to his neck as he could. Taylor gulped as the collar pulled on his neck, his hands scrambling to hold the short length of chain between the foot and the collar.
“What the…?” Isaac said under his breath, seeing the marks on his back for the first time.
Zac’s eyes only narrowed as his temper flared.
“What did you do to him?” he demanded, eyes on the woman.
“It’s called discipline, young man,” the master answered for her, “something you unfortunately did not get to learn in time.”
“That’s not discipline, that’s torture,” Zac said decidedly, “it’s inhuman!”
“I don’t believe anyone asked your opinion,” the master gave a nod to the man behind Zac, who swiftly took his shoulder and landed a blow across his face.
Taylor and Isaac both flinched but otherwise didn’t move.
“Will you be able to handle these three, or do I need to stay a while?” the master looked to the woman with scorn.
“We will separate them,” she assured him before giving Ibby further instructions.
He left the room a third time and soon returned with Carlos, Juan, and a third man Taylor had seen with them before.
“Take Taylor back to the cellar,” she instructed, “and… this one to the stables.”
She indicated Isaac.
“Take Zac to the yard.”
“NO!” Taylor struggled as Carlos instantly made his way over to Zac.
“Stop it,” the master sneered down at him, “or you’ll come back with me instead.”
Taylor froze at the threat, watching helplessly as his brothers were taken from the room. Once they were gone the man stooped to collect the chain and roughly pulled Taylor back to his feet.
“Pay attention,” he said calmly as he looked into Taylor’s eyes – his pull on the chain just so Taylor’s face was level with his, “for…”
He looked to the woman.
“Zac,” she offered.
“For Zac I offer no guarantees,” he told him, “but as long as you remember your training, and forget that Nathaniel was even here, your other brother will be fine. Do not test this. Do you understand?”
Taylor clenched his teeth as his back already hurt from stooping at an awkward angle.
“Yes Master,” he said finally.
“Good.”
He handed Taylor’s chain back to Ibby, who swiftly led him back to the cellar without even a glance.