‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

98

Isaac looked up when he heard someone at the door. A set of blue eyes peered at him through the slats.
Confused because he hadn’t seen any aside from Taylor’s since crossing the border, he sat up straight when the gate was opened.
“Isaac Hanson?” the SWAT member slung his rifle over his shoulder.
“Yeah,” Isaac attempted to stand up.
He made it on the third try, with a little help.
“We’ve been looking for you.”
“I’m glad,” Isaac looked between the two now in the stall as the one who’d helped him up inspected the chains on his wrists, “but how did you even know we were here?”
“A team followed you from Tulsa,” he revealed, glancing up at his associate after seeing the locks, “radio in and tell them we’ve found two out of three.”
“You haven’t found Taylor?” Isaac frowned as the man stepped back around to his front.
“Not yet, but we’ve only just got here.”
“He’s in the cellar,” Isaac immediately told them, “that’s where they were told to take him when we were separated.”
“Roger that,” the SWAT member closest to the gate stepped back outside.
“Sit tight Isaac, we’ll be back with something to get those chains off,” the other said as he pulled the rifle down into his hands again.
“Much appreciated,” Isaac nodded in return as they left the stall.

*

“You just keep that with you?” Taylor looked incredulous as he panted from trying to fight Nate off.
Nate had pulled the same roll of duct tape from his jacket.
“Never know when you might need it,” he said calmly, breaking a piece off.
“What are you gonna do?” Taylor’s expression changed to one of worry, “they probably have the place surrounded, you’ll never get past them.”
“That’s why I need you then, isn’t it?” Nate scorned, leaning forward.
Taylor backed off as far as he could, which wasn’t far. Nate still had him cornered in the hiding spot.
“Wait! Wait,” Taylor lifted his hands in front of his face so that he couldn’t be gagged.
“What?” Nate sighed.
“Don’t you remember what happened to Bernard?!” Taylor frowned, “that’s why we’re here, right?! You’re about to go and do the same exact thing!”
“If all goes well we won’t even meet them on the way out,” Nate assured.
“What?!”
“I know a trick or two,” Nate offered him an unnerving smile, before grabbing his wrists by the chain.
He pulled them forward and held them down with his elbow before planting the tape over Taylor’s mouth. When that was done he quickly bound the tape around Taylor’s lower arms and hip area so that he couldn’t raise his hands far enough to remove it from his face. Taylor let out a muffled cry when the tape hit some of the lower cuts on his back.
“Now…” Nate began calmly as Taylor tested the pull, “let’s make a move before they decide to check more thoroughly.”
He pulled Taylor to his feet by the chain and led him over to the ladder. Leading the way up he kept hold of the chain, slowly pulling on it to keep Taylor balanced on the way up.