Status: Active; Trying To Update As Much As Possible

Coffee Shop Soundtrack

Chapter 17: The Best Of Me

Jessica's P.O.V.

I was unnerved getting in the car beside Alex. I had a right to be considering what just happened in my house.

*FLASHBACK*

"LACEY!" I yelled, running through the door and tackling my best friend for the first time in ages.
"JESS!!"

We sat there rolling around on the floor laughing for what felt like ages. That was until Lacey was picked up off the groud and off of me.

"Calm down the Lessica would you?"

I stared at Ashlyn for a minute, hinting the almost bitter (?) look on her face.

"What I can't hug my best friend?"
"Best friends don't leave for months on end."

It got heated, like really heated. Not even 5 minutes later we were screaming at each other. What I still couldn't understand was why. Finally I asked.

"What the hell crawled up your ass Ash?" I asked, bitter tone in my voice.
"Maybe the fact that you leave for God knows how long and you come back unhinged!"
"Unhinged? Oh dear lord NOT YOU TOO."
"WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO SAY?"
"Maybe that you're happy for me? You're happy I'm finally breaking free of depression? Maybe that this is a good thing for me because I'm finally opening up to some one?"

Ash just looked at me, surprised for a moment. She snapped out of it in time to storm out of the house we all shared. Melody lived with her husband, but Lacey, Ash, and I all lived together.

Lacey looked at me, both of us confused out our minds. Lace moved across the room, ready to hug me, but I took off out the door. I couldn't stand being in there anymore.

*FLASHBACK OVER*

"Are you all right?"

A voice snapped me out of thought, my eyes averting off the road I was just watching out the window. I looked over to find Alex looking at me through the corner of his eye.

"Yeah. Just a bit off I guess."
"And why might that be?"
"I got in to a fight with Ashlyn."
"The Ashlyn that Zack likes?"
"That exact one."

Alex simply nodded and continued driving, not uttering another word. Eventually I couldn't take the silence. I turned on the radio, and to my surprise it began blasting Matchbox Twenty.

I started singing along, knowing the words in a heartbeat. I could see Alex smile. I looked at him confused for a minute.

"What?" I asked.
"Nothing. You just have an amazing voice."

I giggled a little bit and continued humming along to the song. Not even laughter though could maske the discomfort I had at seeing the old hospital I once spent my days in.

Stepping out of the car, I took a shaky breath in and released it all the same. A hand went around my waist and I jumped just a bit. I relaxed as I realized it was just Alex. He started walking, guiding me to the front door of what was my worst nightmare.

We were sitting near the front desk when I heard a voice I hadn't heard in a long time.

"Jessica?"

I turned around and faced Dr. Warren. I tried to smile as she lead me up and away, but I couldn't do it. Not with leaving Alex behind me to wait.

I sat down in Dr. Warren's office, waiting for myself to blow.

"Jessica, look at me."

I looked up grimly at the woman before me.

"Jessica, there is nothing wrong."
"Not you too - wait, what?"

Dr. Warren chuckled, and smiled at me.

"The way I'm seeing this, look are you: you're so happy."
"I am actually. Happier than I've been in a long time."
"And the way I understand it, you've been opening up a bit?"
"More than a bit. I feel free and yeah, opened up." I smiled, looking down a bit.
"And this is why I'm changing your medication."

My head snapped up and I went wide-eyed.

"You don't mean - ?" I asked
"Yes, I'm taking you off the anti-depressant and putting you back on your regualr balancer."

I couldn't really say anything. I just smiled, radiating happiness.

"Now, if I may ask, who was that boy who brought you here?"
"His name is Alex." I mumbled, my cheeks burning red.
"So that's Alex."

My head snapped up once again at that comment.

"I'm sorry?" I asked.
"That is the Alex that your friend Zack called me about. When he and Ashlyn originally phoned me, he said something about an Alex."
"And he said?" I asked skeptically.
"That this kid was the reason you were - and I quote - 'going off the hinges'.

My eyes narrowed to slits, you have to be kidding me.

Finally I was gone, out the door of Dr. Warren's office with my perscription in my hand. I was smiling when I saw Alex, waiting for me exactly where I'd left him. His arm never left my waist as we walked out and as I told him everything. I finished just as we reached the car. Before we got in though, Alex stopped me and turned me to face him.

"So, about that date...."
"Mmmmmh, what about it?" I asked.
"I was thinking you could just come over and we could maybe watch a movie?"
"You know what? I wouldn't love anything more."

It was true. I preferred the simpler things in life. Things like just spending time together, doing nothing special. However it seems like not even that can happen for Alex and I because as we pulled up to his driveway, another car was already there. One I recognized as it's permanent in my memory.

Zack's car.