Love of a Dark Knight

Love Of A Dark Knight (A Batman Love Story) .:4:.

Chapter 4 (Oh My God This Can’t Be Happening!)

After everybody left and it was closing time, it was only me and one of the bus boys cleaning up the tables. It was just after two in the morning and my feet in these 6 inch heels were going to fall off any second and I would have been grateful. I wiped down the last of the tables and Jose took the last dish into the kitchen and he yelled a goodbye in Spanish. I sighed and stood back up on wobbly feet and headed towards the back exit rubbing my eyes. I just couldn’t wait for my body to hit my mattress and to feel my weight sink through like I was sleeping on a cloud. I felt my body seem to prepare itself for that I tried to hurry up faster and go to sleep before I had to get back up and go to work. Hopefully I never had another night like this again.

Bruce’s date was a complete and total bitch the rest of the night and more than once I tried to leave before I hit her, but Rachel always grabbed my arm and whispered for me to stay. Harvey looked extremely uncomfortable at the fact that I wanted to leave and get back to work but I had to stay and be embarrassed by some anorexic ballerina who put the capital E in Easy. And Bruce actually started looking like he was regretting bringing her…until she takes off her close for him later I’m sure.

I pumped open the metal door with the exit sign over head and I instantly shivered as the freezing cold air brushed against my skin through my think button down. I started rubbing my arms trying to get some warmth when I tripped from a pot hole. Classic right? I hit the ground in seconds and then silently cursed myself for being so clumsy and not paying attention. I pushed myself back up onto my feet and I felt that something was wrong with my shoe. I literally almost started to cry because everything was just going wrong tonight and I had a sickening feeling it was about to get worse. First that damn note, then court, then dinner, now this. What the hell else can go wrong?!

I looked at my heel and sighed before taking it off and putting it in front of my face. The skinny heel had snapped from the hole and it was hanging by a thread and some kind of material that’s on the inside of the shoe. I just threw the shoe over my shoulder knowing that it was the end of their days and I should just go buy new ones to replace them. Besides I needed to do a little therapy shopping.

When I took the other one off and tossed it to the side I heard tire screeching before the sound of the brakes being applied. I froze and quickly dived behind a dumpster because I know what happens in alleyways to girls in the middle of the night no matter what side of town they’re on. And when someone hears a noise like that they should know to hide without being told to. Now being in Gotham should be the main reason someone should hide when they hear gunshots, someone screaming, or something being knocked over. We all should get the ‘Greatest Neighbor of the Year’ award.

I heard a heavy door slide open and then the pounding of feet on concrete and puddles. They started to near me and I put my hand over my mouth to silence my heavy breathing. I squeezed my eyes shut and prayed whoever it was out there wouldn’t go looking for someone hiding behind a dumpster. Maybe I just got stuck in some drug trade off or worse. What if Maroni was after me now like I thought back in course! I knew I shouldn’t have gone!

“Damn it! Where is she? He’s going to be pissed if we don’t get her.” The voiced sounded muffled like something was covering his mouth. I felt my eyes widen in fear hoping that they weren’t talking about me and that whatever poor girl they were talking about wasn’t coming this way anytime soon. And I had a feeling I knew what ‘he’ they were talking about. And if his voice was muffled that must mean its one of Hench men in the alley.

“No she’s around here somewhere. I can smell her perfume.” There’s two of them? My heart rate sped up and I couldn’t hear anything over the pounding blood in my ears. I was scared they might even hear it themselves.

It was quiet for a few moments afterwards before I moved my hand away from my mouth. I felt my ragged breath escape my lips as I listened for any sign of movement or any sort of noise. I tried to see around the corner of the dumpster without moving but I was too far back and the only thing I saw was the steam creeping up from the man holes and a few rats scurrying around looking for food. I wasn’t even worried about the rats at the moment so that should show you how scared I am of being taken. When I heard nothing though I still hesitated because they could still be there waiting for me to think they were gone before I got out. I started to scoot forward little by little before stopping and listening again.

“Gotcha you little bitch.” And I screamed as I came face to face with a snapping vicious looking Rottweiler and a huge beefy guy wearing an evil looking clown mask that had the most crazy look in its rubbery eyes. “I know one clown that’s going to be happy to see your pretty little face.”

I pushed myself further away from the man and rabid dog but he grabbed a handful of my hair and yanked me out as the dog went to go snap at my hand as I tried to smack the guy. I felt the teeth pierce through the skin in my hand and I felt a pain filled scream rip through my throat from somewhere down deep inside me. I almost didn’t even recognize it as mine but I knew I was the only one around in pain.

“Let me go! Let me go please!” I was crying and I felt the tears racing down my face and dripping onto my shirt and I continued to struggle and try to hit him but he had his hold over me and the other clown had at least grabbed the leash of the dog to hold it back. “What do you want with me?”

“Oh we don’t want you Sugar. Though you are very appealing to the eyes.” He said sizing me up and I tried to shrink away. Please don’t do anything to me. The dog lunged at me again and the other clown actually let go of the leash. On purpose!

I felt its teeth rip into my flesh yet again and the other clown let go of my hair as the dog continued to maul me because he probably didn’t want to get bitten. I felt my shirt start to rip and its claws slice into my arms, chest, and face. And it didn’t stop attack until one of the clowns grabbed it and dragged it away again while the other one grabbed my right wrist and started dragging me down the alleyway. I felt my back scraping against the floor and the blood sliding down my face and arms. My face felt like it was starting to swell I felt that I was losing conscientiousness but I knew I had to stay awake so that I could see if there’s a way out of this mess. We stopped by the van I had heard screech to a halt before and the door slid open to reveal another clown behind the wheel. I looked at him with pleading eyes but all I got was a sick and cruel cackle. The one man grabbed me by my hair again and lifted me to me lip and unresponsive feet. I stared into the little holes he was seeing out of and all I saw was dark and merciless black eyes staring back at me without pity. I was getting no help out of this one. I quickly scanned the rooftops hoping to see his shadow but there was nothing there.

“Nightie Night Sugar.” And then his fist connected with my face and I blacked out as I mustered up my last amount of strength to speak.

“Batman.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

(Third Person P.O.V.)

Batman emerged from the shadows on the roof of the police station with the Bat signal high in the dark night sky. The man next to the glowing spotlight turned around and he saw that it was just Harvey Dent. Batman had a frown on his face that showed he was slightly annoyed at being called by Dent.

“You're a hard man to reach.” Dent said as Gordon burst onto the rooftop with his weapon drawn before he saw it was Dent. “Lau's halfway to Hong Kong, if you'd asked, I could have taken his passport. I told you to keep me in the loop.”

“Yeah? All that was left in the vaults were the marked bills. They knew we were coming! As soon as your office got involved, there's a leak-.” Gordon started to rant before Harvey cut him off aghast and pissed.

“My office?! You're sitting down here with scum like Wuertz and Ramirez-.” He paused with an off look. “Oh, yeah, Gordon. I almost had your rookie cold on a racketeering beef.”

“Don't try to cloud the fact that clearly Maroni's got people in your office, Dent.” Gordon said in a cold almost dead tone. Clearly he was pissed off about Dent even thinking someone was corrupt in his force. Dent ignored him and turned to Batman.

“We need Lau back, but the Chinese won't extradite a national under any circumstances.”

“If I get him to you, can you get him to talk?” Batman questioned as his body started to move away so that he could get back and get ready. He wanted to hurry so that he would be able to meet up with Rosemarie and make it up to her for what his date did tonight.

“I'll get him to sing.” There was a final tone to Dent and Batman smirked at him. He was beginning to like Harvey more and more.

“We're going after the mob's life savings. Things will get ugly.” Gordon said looking between the two men hoping they realized what they were getting themselves into.

“I knew the risks when I took this job, lieutenant. Same as you.” Dent turned to Batman. “How will you get him back, anyway?” But Batman was already gone and Dent looked around slightly startled as Gordon just smirked.

“He does that.” Was all he said as he turned off the light and walked back inside with Dent still looking around trying to see where Batman went.

“How did he do that?” he whispered to himself before heading back in after Gordon.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bruce examined a parachute harness as Alfred unfolded a diagram of a navy cargo plane with a giant "V" mounted on the front.

“I found one. In Arizona. Very nice man says it will take him a week to get it running. And he takes cash. What about a flight crew?” Alfred said looking up at Bruce as he walked over to examine the diagram.

“South Korean smugglers. They run flights into Pyongyang, below radar the whole way. Did you think of an alibi?” Bruce said looking up from the diagram at a smiling Alfred who looked quite too pleased with himself.

“Oh, yes.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rachel and Dent arrived to find the box office shuttered with a sign that said 'PERFORMANCE CANCELED' and a newspaper story was taped to the glass. Over a picture of Bruce Wayne on a yacht: Love Boat- ‘Billionaire absconds with entire Moscow ballet.’

Rachel huffed and her eyes seemed to turn into slits. “I’m going to get him when he gets back.” She murmured to herself. The anger was quickly brushed aside as worry came sweeping back. Rose hadn’t called in almost 24 hours and whenever Rachel called her the voice came straight up without a single ring. She felt something was wrong but didn’t know what. Rose always answered her phone but maybe she was mad that she was basically put on the spot yesterday like she was inferior to that date of Bruce’s. Rachel could see that Rose was heating up but she was pretty good about not lashing out like she used to. But Rachel knew she wouldn’t have missed work today so she told Harvey to take her back to the restaurant to see if Rose was there.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Alfred picked his way over twelve sunbathing ballerinas as Bruce looked up from a newspaper. Alfred pointed to a seaplane that was gently touching down across the bay. “I believe your plane is here.”

“You look tired, Alfred. Will you be all right without me?” Bruce said smiling at Alfred as a Ballerina rolled over and waved the suntan lotion at Alfred.

“If you can tell me Russian for 'apply your own bloody suntan lotion.'” He growled and Bruce laughed lightly as he tossed a large, waterproof kit bag into the water and jumped in after it before beginning swim over to the seaplane.

He got on and heard his name. He turned around and saw Alfred waving as the boat kept going one way and the plane another.

He didn’t see the worried look on Alfred’s face as he just heard that Rosemarie was missing from Rachel and that there was a lot of blood behind where she worked.

“Oh bloody hell.” He whispered and started hurrying towards the yachts captain. “Times up. We have to go back.” The captain nodded and he turned it around as the ballerinas started to complain and yell out as the sea sprayed them in the speed of the boat in the water. “Oh shut up.”

He looked out in front of him wishing they could go faster. “I’m coming Rosemarie. Just hold on.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gambol racked up the balls on a pool table when he was interrupted by a bodyguard stepping into the room.

“Somebody here for you.” Gambol looked to the back and three rough customers were waiting patiently.

“They say they've killed the Joker. They've come for the reward.” The bodyguard said eyeing them suspiciously.

“They bring proof?” Gambol asked smoking on a cigar.

“They say they've brought the body.” Gambol’s eyes lit up in interest as the bodyguards flopped a body wrapped in garbage bags onto the table. The bounty hunters waited in the corner as Gambol pulled back one of the garbage bags revealing the Joker's bloodied face. Gambol spit in the Joker’s face in disgust and turned to face the bounty hunters.

“So. Dead you get five hundred-.” Behind Gambol the Joker sat up and thrusted a knife into the bodyguards' chest. Gambol spun around shocked to see a crazy grin on the Joker's spit-dribbled face.

“How about alive?” The Joker got a switchblade in Gambol's mouth. The Bounty Hunters subdued the remaining bodyguards.

“Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was a drinker and a fiend. He'd beat mommy right in front of me. One night he goes off crazier than usual, mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit.” The Joker tugged Gambols cheek with the blade. “So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. Turns to me and says 'why so serious?' Comes at me with the knife- 'why so serious?' Sticks the blade in my mouth- 'Let's put a smile on that face' and...” The Joker looked up at the ashen faces of the remaining Body Guards and smiled. “Why so serious?” The Joker flicked his wrist and the Body Guards flinched as Gambol went down. There was a small whimper from the shadows and the Joker looked over as the petite woman being held by her broken wrist. When she went to move the guy gripped harder and yanked causing the woman to yell out and curse at whoever was in earshot.

“Aw Cupcake don’t be like that. I just don ‘t want you leaving me is all.” The Joker started laughing and the woman screamed out in frustration and anger.

“Fuck you!”

He started chuckling and winked at her and she realized what she said and pushed herself back into a wall like maybe she could disappear in it.

“Maybe later Baby Cakes but right now I’m busy working.” He saw her visibly shiver in disgust and he frowned for a second before looking away from the woman’s scratched up and bloodied body. Even under all that you could tell she was beautiful and she didn’t even know it. The Joker paused and remembered when he first saw her those few years ago and she didn’t even know he was there. He remembered seeing her smile and laugh and how it was almost music to his ears. So he now had her to himself and he wasn’t going to give her up so easily.

“Now, our organization is small, but we've got a lot of potential for aggressive expansion... so which of you fine gentlemen would like to join our team?” The three bodyguards all nodded and The Joker snapped a pool cue.

“Only one slot open right now- so we're going to have try-outs.” The Joker dropped the broken cue in the middle of the men. “Make it fast.”

The men stared at each other and then at the jagged pool cue. The young woman didn’t realize what was going on until the first swing brought on blood that hit her face. She screamed and started to cry as The Joker looked on with a sick fascination. He glanced at the woman who was curled up in the corner with her back turned. He chuckled and spun her around to face the men beating each other to death. She closed her eyes tight and tried to block out the images but they kept flashing in her mind now.

“I can give you the world Cupcake. You can get people like them to do whatever you want.” He whispered the last part in her ear and she gagged as his rancid breath found its way to her noise. “What do you say?”

She glared at the man and kicked him with all her might since she was sitting down. Her foot made contact with his shin and he yowled before laughing out loud like a mad man. “Go to hell you freak!”

He stopped laughing and stared at her for a moment before back handing her so hard he drew blood in her mouth and noise. She spit it at him and he just hit her again and again until she started gasping for breath. “I’m not a freak. I am not a FREAK!”

“What do you want with me? Just kill me and get it over with. No one is obviously looking for me.” she asked closing her eyes and praying she was dead or at least with someone who brushed their teeth and didn’t hit girls.

“Why cupcake I could never kill you. You’re just too much fun. Like your Bat boyfriend.” I rolled my eyes and laughed almost like one of his crazy ones.

“He’s not my boyfriend. I’ve met him once and we didn’t even talk. He won’t come looking for me I promise you.” I said. Then it really hit me. I could die all alone and by myself and no one was looking for me. I felt the tears start to build up before I curled up more and hugged myself on the floor of the pool hall. “No one cares enough.”

“Well then Sweet Cheeks we’re gonna have to make them care then won’t we?” I opened my eyes and tried to look at him before I started screaming as he bent for me and grabbed me by my hair and started pulling me out the door.

“Please don’t hurt me!” I screamed in fear and started to pull away from him not caring he still had my hair.

“Oh but that’s exactly what I’m going to do love.”