Status: new story, just testing it out

Realize

Though for now it seems this struggle has only begun

I didn’t know what I was going to do. I had found a new home in Pittsburgh, and I was coming off of a career-high season, special thanks to my counter-parts, Geno and Chris, who along with me, got dubbed the “firing line.” Now, we were in the midst of a lockout. It was looming in the air, and I had no idea what I was in for. I didn’t know if I would take the chance and go play overseas, or if I would stay in Pittsburgh and train until the lockout hopefully ends.

It had been about a week since the lockout had officially started and we could feel the pre-season was about to be cancelled before a few of my buddies flew in from back home to spend some time with me, as some of my teammates had gone overseas to play, or were training in places outside of Pittsburgh.

My one friend, Matt, joked that I could always switch professions and go become an NFL ref, since it looked as though anyone could do it this season.

I didn’t know why, but I found myself wallowing almost. It was as though I thought I would never play again. I knew that that was irrational thinking, but it wasn’t supposed to get this far. I should’ve been out at Southpointe, with the boys getting ready for the pre-season. But no, the owners and Bettman wouldn’t allow it. They wanted to lock us out.

The people I feel sorry for the most are the fans, they’re missing a huge part of their lives. There are some fans and some families that bond over hockey. Friends, that bond over going to sports bars on game nights, just to get out of the house and socialize for a little while. That all got taken away because the NHL and NHLPA couldn’t come to an agreement.

Now, I’m not an expert and I’m definitely not one to point fingers at anybody, but after talking to Sid and some of the other players, it looks as though we, the players, are getting the short end of the stick. I like my contract, I like where I am in life right now. I don’t want to get a pay cut, especially a 24% pay cut.

So, I sit here, surrounded by some of my friends and the incomparable Paul Martin, thinking to myself…

What the fuck am I going to do?.....
♠ ♠ ♠
New story, just starting out.
Pretty sure you guys can figure out who it's about. :)
Lemme know if you think I should continue. :)

Chapter title from the Penguins' "unofficial" theme song from last season, Parlor Mob's "Into the Sun"

steph <3