Status: new story, just testing it out

Realize

For so many nights now, I find myself thinking about her now...

“Okay, thanks.”

I huffed and threw my phone onto the couch beside me. After seeing all of the news surrounding the news about the talks between the league and the PA, I needed to get a real sense as to what was going on. Normally, I didn’t really pay too much attention the news regarding this, but there were talks for three days straight. I called Sid to see what he knew and if he could give me a little insight. He wasn’t exactly sure as to what exactly was going on and in what state the players were in. It wasn’t the greatest news. Both sides say they’ll negotiate, but they’re both pretty set in their ways.

I huffed and picked up my phone again.

“Hey, what’s up?”

“Hey man, you up for a little skate today?”

“Yeah, actually, I’m heading over to the rink in about a half an hour. A couple of the guys that are in town and they organized a skate.”

I ran a hand through my hair and smiled. “I’m in. Pick me up in about 15?”

He agreed and after the call ended, I hurried up the stairs and got ready.

No sooner did I reach the bottom of the stairs when I heard a horn honk from my driveway. I slipped my shoes on, grabbed my gear and was out the door.

I slid into the front seat of Paul’s car with a huff.

“Geez, what’s gotten into you?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Just this lockout stuff, man. I just want it over.”

“I hear ya on that one, man. We all wanna get back in the game.”

I pondered on a thought I had in my head after seeing something about it on the news.

“You ever think about going overseas?”

Paul shrugged his shoulders. “Yeah, I’ve thought about it. But the teams that offer spots to NHLers are slim, and then there’s the insurance issue.”

“Yeah,” I sighed. “I just wanna play again, preferably, in front of the home crowd, y’know?”

He nodded his head. “Yeah, I know.”

We drove for a little while longer, about 5 minutes away from the arena when Paul spoke up again.

“So, anything new and exciting in the life of James Neal?”

I scoffed. “Ha! You’re hilarious.”

“Just trying to make conversation, buddy.” He sighed. “Hey! Anything happen with you and that waitress? You guys seemed to be getting along.”

I ran a hand through my hair, thinking about how long it’s been since I’ve seen or talked to Roxy. We exchanged numbers almost a week ago, yet we have yet to contact each other.

“She’s a bartender, and yeah, you we were getting along.”

It was silent for a few seconds before I felt him nudge me. I looked over at him and he reminded me of a goofy face teenager looking for gossip.

“So? Did anything happen?”

I rolled my eyes. “Nothing like that, you asshole. We just talked, you saw us.”

“Well, have you seen her since?”

I nodded my head. “Yeah, I have. I went down to the bar a couple days after the guys left. I wasn’t sure where I was going, but I ended up there.”

“Huh.”

I raised an eyebrow at him as he pulled the car into park. “What are you thinking?”

He turned off the engine and stepped out of the car. I followed suit and met him at the trunk. He pulled out his bag and strapped it over his shoulder, looking up at me.

“Don’t you think that tells you something?”

I shrugged my shoulders as I pulled my bag out of the trunk, closing it just after.

“I don’t know. Again, I ask, what are you thinking?”

I heard him chuckle lightly to himself. “You’re drawn to her. Though, you didn’t know it, you wanted to see her.”

I rolled my eyes once again. “Whatever.”

He opened the door of the arena and I walked past him. I could hear his footsteps right behind me. “So, was that the last time you saw her?”

I shook my head. “I don’t want to talk about this anymore.”

“Oh, so you screwed it up already, huh?”

I continued to shake my head and walked to the locker room, all the time hearing Paul chuckle behind me. I just hoped he wouldn’t mention anything about it in front of the others. I wasn’t sure where any of this was going, if it even was something to go anywhere.

I walked into the locker room and saw the smiling faces of my teammates Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz.

“Nealer! How’s it going?” I looked and saw Matt Niskanen, also known as Nisky, coming out of the bathroom connected to the locker room. I chuckled lightly.

“Not much, buddy. Thought you were going back to Dallas.”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Nah, decided to stick around. I may go if this keeps up, but for now, you’re stuck with me.”

I smirked. “Well, that’s good to hear.”

He nodded. “Yeah, so where’s Martin? He picked you up, didn’t he?”

I nodded and looked behind me, thinking he was right there. “He was right behind me. I guess he got lost in the hallway. You know how he can be sometimes.”

The room erupted in laughter.

“So, Nealer spilt the beans about his screw-up with the bartender?”

I snapped my head back and glared at Paul. He saw the look in my eyes and shifted his gaze to the floor, but I could see a smidge of a smirk still on his face.

“What you going on about, Martin?”

I looked over at Dupuis. “Nothing. It’s nothing.”

He shook his head. “I don’t believe that, but I’ll let it go. For now.”

I let out a sigh that I didn’t know I was holding in. I shrugged it off and walked over to a stall to get ready. I put my bag down and caught Dupuis’ eye. He smirked at me.

“What’s with the smirk, Duper?”

He shook his head. “Oh, nothing. I’m holding my tongue.”

I nodded with a small smirk. “That’s good.”

He stood up and Nisky and Kunitz followed him out of the locker room. Paul came up beside me and plopped his bag on the floor.

“I’m sorry, man.”

I just grunted in response.

“James, I mean it. I’m sorry. I thought you had told them about… what’s her name, anyway?”

I sighed. “Roxy. Her name is Roxy.”

He looked over at me with a small smirk. “Hmm, what a sexy name. It suits her.”

I glared at him again. “Don’t. Don’t say that about her.”

“Say what?”

“Talk about her like she’s a piece of meat.”

He rolled his eyes. “You must really like her, dude.”

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair as I sat down and kicked my shoes off.

“I don’t know.”

He sat down and put a hand on my shoulder. “You okay?”

I shook my head. “I don’t know, I just lost track of how many days have passed since I talked to her last. I got her number, she got mine and….nothing.”

“Whoa, how long has it been?”

“About a week, I think.”

“Well, call her. It wouldn’t hurt to try. If you don’t feel comfortable calling, text her.”

I shrugged my shoulders, tying up my second skate. “Maybe. I’ll think about it.” After I was done tying my skate, I stood up. “But right now, I just wanna skate. How about you?”

He nodded with a grin. “Let’s do it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a long, almost painful practice, the boys and I went back to the locker room to get ready to go home.

“Hey Nealer, what you doing tonight?” I hear Nisky ask.

“I’m not sure.” I said, shrugging my shoulders. “Why? What’s up?”

“Well, I was talking to Kuni and Duper earlier. We were gonna go out for drinks. Wanna come with? Martin’s got plans.”

I pondered on the thought.

“I don’t have plans!”

I chuckled as I looked over at Paul, who had a mild look of sadness on his face.

“Oh, no? I guess we just assumed that you would have plans with, you know, your dog.”

Chris, Pascal and I burst out in laughter as Paul rolled his eyes.

“Well, I don’t have plans, but I know you’re going to invite me only out of pity, now, so I’ll just go home.”

“Oh, just come with us, you big baby.” Chris hollered as he was making his way to the showers.

“So, Nealer, you in?”

Again, I pondered. Only this time, it didn’t take me as long. I didn’t know why I was so hesitant.

“Yeah, I’m in.”

“Okay, you pick the place.”

Paul coughed loudly. “Oh, I think Nealer here knows just the place.”

This time the glare just wouldn’t suffice. I full-out slugged him in the arm. He groaned and held on to his arm where my fist had hit it. I slightly smirked at his agony.

After getting out of my gear and having a shower, the boys and I made our way out of the arena parking lot. I was in Paul’s car with Nisky in the backseat.

“So, where are we going, Nealer?”

I looked back at Nisky and shrugged my shoulders.

“I know the place, and I’m on my way.” I rolled my eyes.

“Paul, no.”

He sighed loudly. “Oh my god, why? You gotta talk to her.”

I shook my head. “Well, if you’re going there, drop me off at my place. I don’t want to go.”

“Hey, Nealer, what’s up with you and this chick?”

“Nothing Matt. Paul’s just making something out of nothing.” I turned my gaze back to Paul. “Take me home.”

He rolled his eyes and rather than going straight, in direction of the bar, he turned, in direction of my house. He pulled into my driveway and sighed.

“You could still come with us. We can go somewhere else.”

I opened the car door, and stepped out. “I don’t really feel like it anymore.” I grabbed my gear from the back of the car and walked into my house. I plopped down on my couch and I saw the light dim out of sight through the window. I leaned my head back against the back of my couch and sighed. I closed my eyes and recalled the conversations I’ve had during the day. The one with Paul about Roxy stuck out. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I ran a hand over my face as I scrolled through my contacts. Running my thumb over one name, I pushed that little green button. I heard the phone ring three times, before I heard a voice on the other end.

“Hey Roxy, it’s James.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Update 2 of a possible 4..... :)

steph <3

P.S. Chapter title is from "Obviously" by McFly.