Status: new story, just testing it out

Realize

I can't decide if it's a choice, getting swept away...

“Oh, come on Rox, come out. He’s going to be here in like 10 minutes!”

I rolled my eyes as I heard another one of Pamela’s demands for me to leave my room. She had picked out my outfit and Denise had given me shoes to wear. Really, the only thing I did was my hair and makeup, which I left down and curly and just put a little bit of eyeliner and mascara on. I gave myself one my onceover in the full length mirror hanging on my wall before picking my phone up off my bed. Looking at the time, my eyes widened. Pamela was wrong. James would be here in 5 minutes! I tossed my phone back on my bed and quickly slipped on Denise’s shoes. As soon as I slipped on the first shoe, I heard my phone go off. I could feel my chest constrain, knowing it was James as I slipped on the second shoe. Picking up my phone and looking at the message, I felt the crimson creep up in my cheeks.

On my way upstairs. Hope you’re ready ;)

I left my room and heard the gasps from my roommates. I gave them a small smile and did a little turn, showcasing the whole outfit. Mid-spin, I heard a knock at the door and lost my footing, falling to the floor. As Denise began to howl in laughter, Pamela went to answer the door. I was still on the floor, laughing with Denise when I heard the voice I’d missed for almost a week.

“Roxy?”

I turned my head and saw James standing beside Pamela, looking down at me with a slight smirk on his face. I could feel my skin’s temperature rise. I quickly stood up and made sure that my outfit was covering everything that it should, even though it wasn’t that revealing to begin with. I looked up at James and nodded.

“Yeah, sorry. I was…..” I looked over at Denise, trying to look for an excuse. She just shook her head with a grin on her face. “You know what? Let’s just go.”

I picked up my purse off of the table by the door and waved goodbye to my roommates.

“Oh, and James,” he turned back to face Pamela. “We won’t wait up for her.”

My jaw dropped as I whipped my head to glare at Pamela. I heard James chuckle beside me.

“So, in other words, home by 10?”

Pamela smirked. “Yes, and not a minute after.”

Pamela closed the door as James and I continued to walk down the hallway. I turned to him and sighed.

“She’s a piece of work, huh?”

He nodded. “Yeah, she’s just looking out for you, though. You don’t really have a scheduled time to be home, do you?”

I shook my head with a soft chuckle. “No, I don’t.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ride to James’ place was silent but comfortable. It saved for more conversation to happen at his place. When we walked through the door, I was amazed.

“You live here by yourself?” He nodded.

“Yeah, why?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “I don’t know. It just seems like it’s a little too big for one guy.”

“Yeah, it’s a little spacious, but I got time. I’m signed to the Pens for the next five years, and hopefully I’ll stay here that whole time, maybe even longer.”

I craned my neck as I walked past him and smiled.

“So, what’s on the menu, chef?”

He smiled and ran into the kitchen, blocking me from the doorway. “It’s a surprise.”

I sighed. “Really? You asked me what my favourite dish was. And,” I looked under his arm at the contents on the counter top, “judging by what you have on the countertop, you’re making chicken.”

He nodded. “I am making chicken, but it’s a family recipe. Now, go into the living room. I’ll be out with drinks in five.”

“Okay, okay. Geez, someone’s bossy.” I turned and walked back towards the door, finally slipping off my shoes. “You know, if I would’ve known you were going to be this bossy, I never would’ve agreed to this!” I yelled from the front door.

Placing my shoes beside James’, I heard a voice behind me. “You’re not leaving, are you?”

I turned and saw the confused look on his face and two glasses of wine in his hands. I shook my head.

“No, I was just taking off my shoes. I was so amazed by the décor that I didn’t take the time to slip them off.”

I walked back towards him, meeting him behind the couch. He gave me a glass and gestured for us to sit on the couch. I happily obliged, getting myself comfortable.

“Wait, I thought you had to make dinner.”

He shook his head. “It was already made, just had to pop it in the oven.” He looked at the clock on the wall. “We’ve got about 35 minutes and it’ll be ready.”

I nodded. “Oh. Okay.”

“So, Miss Roxy, tell me about yourself.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “What can I tell you that you don’t already know?”

“I don’t know. What do you like to do outside of work?”

“Oh, you mean, the little time I have outside of sleep and work? I like to sleep some more.”

He laughed. “Seriously? You don’t go out or anything?”

I shook my head. “Not really. Sometimes, we go out to a Kareoke bar with some friends. It’s not too often, though. We’re all getting really busy.”

James smiled. “Well, let me know the next time you go out.”

“Oh, no. You do not want to hear me sing, believe me.”

“Oh, I beg to differ.”

James and I continued to talk, about everything outside of hockey. I heard him mention the team and missing the season, but I tried my best to change the subject and would see a shadow of a smile appear on his face when I did. Finally, we heard a timer go off in the kitchen. James leapt off of the couch, taking our empty wine glasses with him.

“You stay there. When I call you, come to the dining room.”

I sat up straight. “Did you want me to help set the table?”

“Already done!” He yelled from the kitchen.

I stood up from the couch, and took that time to admire the pictures James had set out. I was waiting for him to call me, but I heard light footsteps approach me as I held up what I assumed was a family photo in my hands.

“That was taken last summer.”

I saw another wine glass appear in front of me and smirked. I placed the photo back down and turned to face James.

“Mr. Neal, are you trying to get me drunk?”

He smirked and shook his head.

“No, if I wanted to do that, I would take you to your work.” I let out a sarcastic chuckle as he continued. “I just figured you would want another glass with dinner.”

I nodded. “Thank you.”

He held out his hand for me. I didn’t hesitate to take it and let him lead me into the dining room. He turned his head and gave me a goofy grin. I couldn’t hold in the giggle that escaped my lips. When we reached the dining room, my jaw dropped. I was beginning to remember the conversation that Pamela and I had. Oh my gosh, this is a date. I thought as James pulled out my chair for me. I sat down and gave him a small smile as he sat across from me.

“It smells delicious, James.”

“Really?” He asked, cocking an eyebrow.

I nodded. “Yes,” I took a bite. “It tastes good, too.”

He smiled. “Good. I’m glad you approve.”

I returned the smile and continued to eat the delicious meal in front of me.

After about five minutes of silence, James spoke up.

“Is this too much?”

I raised an eyebrow. I swallowed the food in my mouth before responding.

“I’m sorry.”

I raised an eyebrow. “What are you sorry about?”

He reached his hand out and gestured to the table. “For this. It’s supposed to be dinner between friends, but it feels more like…”

“A date?”

“Yeah….but like a forced date, if that makes sense.”

I pondered on his assumption. The words made sense and I could see how he would feel that way.

“Well, why don’t we change it up, then?”

“I don’t follow.”

I stood up from my seat, grabbing my plate and glass of wine and smiled at him.

“C’mon.” I said softly.

James shook his head, chuckling softly to himself, but nonetheless picked up his plate and glass and followed me. I reached the living room and sat on the couch. I placed my glass of wine on the coffee table and looked up at James. He looked at me with a lopsided grin.

“You’re amazing, you know that?”

I shook my head with a chuckle. “So, I’m told. Now, sit down and eat before your food gets cold.”

He tried his best to salute me while juggling his plate and glass before walking to sit beside me. He picked up the remote and looked over me after placing his glass on the table beside me.

“Anything particular you want to watch?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Not really. I don’t know what’s on. I’m not usually home at this hour. If I am, I’m sleeping or reading.”

“What about hockey games?” He smirked.

I rolled my eyes. “Well, besides that, but I don’t really think tonight is a night to talk about hockey.”

James slowly nodded his head, his smirk turning into a grin. “I agree. So, how’s your family doing?”

I sighed. “Same ol’, same ol’, I guess. My brother is getting used to being home, which is nice, but a pain in my mom’s ass, though she won’t admit it. I’m supposed to go over there for dinner on my next day off.”

“When is that?”

I closed my eyes, trying to picture my schedule. “Well, today’s Thursday, so Saturday.”

“Bring them to my practice!” He almost yelled. I turned to raise an eyebrow at him and I could’ve sworn I saw his cheeks flush before continuing. “I mean, if you want to go, you could bring your family.”

“We’re not talking about hockey tonight, remember? Besides, I can’t get in, those practices are closed to the public aren’t they?,” I put a hand out in between us to stop him from interrupting me. “Before you say anything, no, I’m not taking a pass from you for free. I’m not that kind of girl.”

He opened his mouth to protest….or question, I wasn’t quite sure, but he quickly closed it and leaned back on the couch and went back to his dinner.

“I’m sorry, James. It’s not that I don’t want to go, but I don’t want to be given ticket like some kind of trophy girlfriend.”

My eyes widened in shock after realizing that I just called myself his girlfriend. I was hoping he wouldn’t catch onto that, as I went back to my dinner. I picked up a piece of chicken and was about to put it in my mouth, when I heard him speak.

“Wait, did you just say girlfriend?”

I didn’t look up from my plate. I felt myself sink into the couch and I never wanted to get up. I was trying to focus on eating, but my fork kept just grazing my food in figure-eights. I quickly glanced up at him and shook my head.

“Hmmm. My chicken is a little cold. Can I heat it up for a few seconds?”

I was hoping he would drop the “girlfriend” slip up. He looked at me and nodded. He reached his hand out and took my plate from me.

“I’ll go do it. Mine’s a little cold, too.”

I smiled and as soon as he left the living room, I leaned my head back and sighed.

“Oh, and I’m going to ask you again when I get back in there!”

I rolled my eyes and stood from the couch. I walked to the kitchen and stood in the doorway.

“I didn’t mean it like to say I was your girlfriend. I just meant, like, I didn’t want to act like a trophy girlfriend who relishes in whatever you’re willing to give me because you’re in the NHL. I don’t want to take advantage of you.”

He took my plate out of the microwave and nodded. He looked over at me with a grin that brought butterflies to my stomach.

“That’s refreshing, I must say. I mean, I never perceived you as that type of girl, but I’m glad that you’re not.”

I shook my head. “It’s fine, and I thought we agreed no more hockey talk?”

He chuckled and handed me my plate as we walked back into the living room.

“You’re right.”

“So, tell me about your family? I don’t think we ever touched on that during any of our talks.”

We sat down on the couch and put our plates on our laps. I placed a pillow under mine, since the bottom was a little hot from the microwave.

“Why don’t we eat first, then you can ask me anything?”

I smiled over at him with nod. “Deal. I’m not one to let a free home-cooked meal go to waste.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As James and I got into his car, I looked over and smiled at him.

“I had fun tonight, thanks for this. It was nice to get out without the embarrassment that my roommates can bring sometimes.”

He laughed as he put the key in the ignition. “Well, I’m glad I could be of service, ma’am.” He “tipped” his invisible hat. “We’ll have to do it again.”

I smiled. I learned a lot about James. He told me more about his family back in Whitby, Ontario. He touched on a sore subject of a past girlfriend, but quickly got off the topic. Not wanting to ruin the evening, I didn’t press about it. I knew that if he wanted to tell me, he would.

While we were driving towards my apartment building, I felt something twitch beside my hand. Looking down, I saw that James’ hand was right beside mine. Sensing what he was trying to do, I moved my hand to place it in his. Before I could, though, the car came to a stop. I looked out the window and sure enough, we were out front of my building.

I turned to look over at James, but he was gone. For a split second, I thought I was dreaming, or hyperventilating. I wasn’t sure which one. Then I heard my door open and felt a light breeze hit my right side. James gave me a cheesy smile and reached his hand out. I stepped out and he closed the door behind me. I was a little confused as to what was going on. James could sense my uneasiness and placed a hand on the small of my back, whispering in my ear.

“Well, what kind of gentleman would I be if I didn’t make sure my date made it her door safely?”

I could feel the heat in my cheeks rise. I let him guide me into the building. As we passed the front desk on our way to the elevator, I felt his hand slip the small of my back to my hand. I laced my fingers through his and looked up at him with a small smile. We were in a silence, but a sweet silence; almost serene.

When the elevator opened, we realized we were the only ones there. I was happy about that, considering I didn’t know what the conversation would entail. Thankfully, James started the conversation.

“So, you’re off on Saturday, you said, right?”

I nodded as I pushed the number for my floor. “Yepp.”

“So, would you maybe want to have lunch with me?”

I smiled as I stepped back and leaned against the back wall beside him. “But, don’t you have practice? Don’t some hockey players have rituals? I don’t want to impose and distract you. Even if there is a lockout right now, I don’t want you to lose focus, since we never know when it could be over.”

The elevator dinged and we stepped out as the doors opened. James turned to me as we approached my door.

“Well, yeah, but what if I wanted to add a new ritual?” He put his hands on my waist and lightly pulled me close to him.

I shook my head. “Wow, Mr. Neal, you move mighty fast, don’t you?”

His eyebrows raised in slight surprise. “You think so?” He stepped away and shook his head. “God, Roxy, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to.”

I shook my head and placed my hand in his. I looked up at him, but his gaze stayed on the floor. “It’s okay. So, Saturday?”

His gaze shot up and a soft smile spread across his features. “Yeah… I was thinking…”

“You were thinking, ‘Gee, I hope your roommates aren’t waiting up to hear all the juicy details,’ right?”

James and I turned our heads and saw Pamela standing at the door with a smirk on her face. James chuckled lightly, giving my hand a light squeeze.

“Yeah, that’s exactly I was thinking. But before I do that,” he walked up to the door and I heard him whisper just loud enough to Pamela so I could hear him. “Can I say goodnight first?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Howdy!
So, this weekend is writing weekend for me, so I pushed myself to finally get this chapter out. :)

Hope you like!

<3 steph

P.S. Chapter title is from Treacherous by Taylor Swift