Wonderwall

Ten

It almost 5:00 and we still had a decent 6 hours to go of driving. Sammy and I had switched seats somewhere near the beginning of Idaho, about an hour after Dean and I’s kiss. Luckily, the swerving and sudden stopping failed to wake him up and he still had no clue as to what happened; which was exactly how Dean and I intended to keep it for a while.

‘Can we stop and get something to eat? I’m starving,” Dean moaned, turning down the music.

“Dean, we literally ate like an hour ago. How are you still hungry?’ Sam asked, placing down the map in his hands.

“I’m a man, Sam. And a man’s got to eat, so you can either not get anything or get a damn salad like you always do. Either way, I’m stopping this car,” Dean smiled smugly over at Sam, pulling over at the next rest stop that had a small diner in it.

He quickly drove into a parking spot out front and we piled out of the car, entering the restaurant and seating ourselves in a back booth. The waitress, who was surprisingly on roller blades, skated her way over to our table almost immediately and took our drink orders. She started to skate away, but Dean, not wanting to have to wait another minute, began ordering his food.

‘Yeah, I’m gonna get the double bacon cheeseburger with a side of fries,” Dean smiled, handing the waitress his menu.

She looked at Sam, letting him know it was his turn to order, “Um, I’ll have the soup and salad combo,” Sam answered, his eyes still glued to the menu.

‘What kind of soup do you want, honey?” She asked, taping the pen on her note pad and giving him a small grin.

‘Chicken noodle is fine, thank you.’

‘What kind of dressing?” she asked, her pen flowing across the paper in her hand.

‘Oil and Vinegar please,” he answered, handing her his menu.

‘And you, honey?” She glanced over at me with a smile.

‘Can I get the turkey club with bacon on the side, please?” I ordered, giving her my menu as well.

‘Sure thing, Hun. I’ll be back with your drinks in a sec and your order should be ready in about 15 minutes,’ She then skated away, orders in hand.

About twenty minutes later she brought the food over to us, placing the plates on to the table. Dean bit into his burger the second it was in front of him, his cheeks puffing out from being over flowed.

‘Slow down, Dean. You’re food isn’t going anywhere,’ I laughed, handing him my side of bacon.

He looked at me, and then down at the small dish of pork I gave him, his eyes gleaming. You would’ve thought, by the look on his face, that I had just given him the most valuable gift he had ever received. After this, we kept making eye contact, smiling the moment our eyes met. We hadn’t noticed how obvious it was until Sam mentioned it.

‘You guys need a moment?’ He asked, raising his eyebrows with a cheeky grin on his face.

Dean cleared his throat, swallowing the remaining food in his mouth, ‘What? No. We were just…it’s in an insider, Sammy. You wouldn’t get it.’

‘An insider, huh?’ Sam took a bite of his salad, still smiling curiously at Dean and I.

‘Yeah, Sammy. Its this awesome thing where you and other people share inf-‘

‘I know what it is, Dean. It’s not like I’ve never had one before.’

‘You need friends to have insiders, Sammy. And friends are something you’ve never or will never have.’

‘Oh really? Like you’ve had so many. Name one person you actually talk to besides Iris and Bobby,’ Sam leaned back in the booth, smiling teasingly and crossing his arms against his chest.

‘Okay, you two. Let’s knock off this whole bitch-fit, alright? I’d like to actually enjoy the rest of the trip,’ I said, starting to shove Sam towards the door.

Dean paid the bill at the counter quickly, all of us piling back into the Impala and getting back on the highway. It was quite now, not even the radio was playing, and I decided it a good time to listen to my own music. I swiftly pulled out my IPod from my bag and placed on my headphones, turning on Queen and leaning my head against the cool window. Our surroundings, unusually, were really beautiful; large oak trees with leaves of crimson and yellow lined the side of the roads, the wind causing them to dance around the cars. It was cold, but bearable, and the sun often peaked its way through the thin clouds, leaving spotlights of gold on the worn green terrain. I watched the outside for while, loosing myself in its splendor, until I felt my eyes become heavy with sleep, letting them close and cease my consciousness.

When I awoke, the outside was black and I was no longer able to the see the trees I had loved so much. I blinked heavily a few times, rising from the window and stretching out my arms above my head.

‘Hey, look, Sammy! Sleeping beauty is up,” Dean grinned at me through the rear view mirror patting Sam on his shoulder.

‘How long was I out?’ I asked, leaning forward to place myself in-between the boys.

‘Four and a half hours,’ Sam answered, turning to look at me.

“Jesus, Sam. Did you time her or something?” Dean teased, glancing at us.

He rolled his eyes, picking up the map from the dashboard, ‘We should be there in about 30 minutes or so, depending on the traffic.’

‘Good,’ I stated, leaning back into the seat, ‘I’ve been dying to get out of this thing.’

Dean pressed hard on the gas petal, ‘I’ll get you there as fast as I can, Iris,’ He winked back at me, swerving in and out of several lanes.

I would’ve usually been concerned with how recklessly he was driving, but, I was too car sick and too annoyed to even care. Instead, I found myself quite relived and when we finally arrived at the Wendell Inn at 10:30, I was overwhelmed with a sense of joy. Sam had booked our reservation quickly and within 5 minutes, we were outside of our room, unpacking the car and lugging our things inside.

The place was exactly like every other motel we’ve stayed in; old, smelly, and run-down. I didn’t mind though, since we usually didn’t spend a lot of time in it anyways; besides for research and sleep. The theme was under the sea, plastic anchors, life-vest, and other nautical equipment tapered upon the walls. It was painted dark blue, with two squeaky beds and a small round table at the side.

‘What in the-‘ Dean sighed, dropping the bags down on the floor.

Sam laughed, looking around the room with a smile.

‘I think I’m sea sick,’ Dean grabbed at his stomach, faking the urge to vomit.

‘Oh, c’mon you guys! It’s really not that bad,’ I picked up a small sailboat that was placed on the wooden table, ‘I think its kind of nice.’

‘Aye Aye, Captain!’ Dean mockingly saluted me, a big smile spread across his face.
I rolled my eyes, placing the boat back down, ‘What are we doing for dinner? I’m actually kind of hungry.’

‘We’ll before we go and do that, there’s something else we need to take care of,’ Dean glanced over at Sam, then back at me.

I laughed, ‘Do my ears deceive me, or did Dean Winchester just refuse food?’

‘Yeah, yeah, I know. I never thought those words would ever come out of my mouth, either, but this is actually important,’ Dean said, a hint of worry in his voice.

‘Okay? What is it?’ I was becoming nervous from watching how eager Sammy and Dean seemed. I always hated when they kept me out of the loop.

‘What are your thoughts on tattoos?’ Sammy asked, his tone careful.

‘Tattoos? Uh, they’re fine, I guess. I’ve never had a problem with them, why?’

Dean rubbed the back of his neck, ‘How would you feel about getting one?’

‘A tattoo?’

‘Yeah. It’s actually really important for what we’re about to do, Iris. Being around demons in this close of a distance is dangerous and us hunters don’t have many quick ways to protect ourselves, but one of the things we do have is this symbol that we can tattoo on our body. It makes it impossible for demons to possess us and without it, I wouldn’t feel comfortable bringing you along to find Dad,’ Dean finished, looking down at the floor.

‘Okay,’ I didn’t hesitate, grabbing my jacket from the chair.

‘Okay? Okay as in-’ Dean looked confusingly at me, raising his eyebrows.

‘Okay as in I’ll do it. I’ll get the tattoo,’ I smiled, trying to hide the fact that I was extremely nervous.

He ran over to me, giving me a hug and spinning me around, ‘You’re growing up so fast.’

‘Oh, shut up,’ I shoved him away, my face blushing from his sudden embrace.

We piled into the Impala again, driving for five minutes down a rather filled street; shops lining almost every space on it. We finally pulled into a small Tattoo parlor named Circus Ink, filing out of the car and entering the shop. The buzz of the guns could be heard throughout the entire store, pictures upon pictures of tattoos plastered upon every inch of their walls. It was a small store, unlike what I had originally pictured.

‘Hello what can I do you for?’ The man at the counter asked, his neck and arms filled with colorful pieces of art. I became distracted by his ink, trying to decipher where one design stopped and another one began.

‘This one here needs a tattoo,’ Dean answered for me, placing his arm around my shoulder.

‘Will that be a butterfly or a lady bug?’ the man asked, pulling out a binder with ‘GIRLS’ printed on it.

‘No, uh, actually I was wondering if I could get this,’ I said, pulling the picture Dean had given me from my pocket. The man observed it for a few seconds, nodding approvingly.

‘Just take a seat over there and we’ll call you when an artist is available,” the man pointed over to a few chairs lined up in the corner, taking my picture with him into the back. I sat down, hoping for dear life that we would have to wait long, but, with my luck, we we’re called up almost instantaneously.

The man, also filled with tattoos, guided us over to his booth in the back of the shop.

‘Alright, where do you want it?’ He asked, pulling out his gun and positioning himself to become comfortable. I took off my flannel, leaving my tank top on, and pulled away my hair.

‘Right there,’ I said, motioning to the spot on my right shoulder blade.

He nodded, having me lie down on my stomach against the red leather chair. My heart throbbed against my chest as I situated myself, the cold, sanitizing wipe making contact with my bare skin. I heard the gun turn on, my eyes closing in response. I might not have been scared of monsters, but needles where a whole other story. Dean, seeing my nervousness, pulled up a seat beside me, reaching for my hand and squeezing it tight.

‘It’ll be over before you know it. I promise,’ He smiled, rubbing the surface of my hand with his thumb.

I should’ve told him to tone his affection down, since we decided to keep whatever we were a secret from Sam, but I was too focused on the needle about to be pressed into my back to think properly. And when the sticker finally made contact with my skin, I was glad I had him next me. The pain wasn’t unbearable, but I could distinctly feel the burning of the ink imprinting itself into my skin.

‘Alright, you’re all set, Lady,’ The main lifted his pen away from my skin after 20 minutes, turning of the gun and exiting the room.

‘How does it look?’ I asked, trying to turn my torso to get a peak of my new ink.

‘Good, great actually,’ Dean smiled, handing me my flannel.

‘Where’s Sammy?’ I asked, looking around and noticing that he wasn’t there anymore.

‘Oh, yeah. He left before the guy even started working on you, something about having a headache. He should be in the car by now, though.’

I nodded, leading Dean out of the room and to the counter to pay. We tipped the guy well and then headed outside, finding Sammy already inside the Impala. He didn’t say anything when we entered the car, his eyes shut tight with his hands rubbing aggressively against his temples.

We drove hurriedly to the motel, Dean going at least 15 miles over the speed limit, Sam still silent. Usually, by now he would’ve made a comment for Dean to adjust his driving, but he didn’t, not even the slightest noise of protest came from him. I was beginning to become nervous about him after that and I knew, if anything serious was troubling him, I would have to try extremely hard to get a confession out of him.

We soon screeched into the parking lot of the Inn, halting to a stop directly in front of our room. Sam practically sprinted through the door, leaving Dean and I far behind.

‘What’s his problem?’ Dean asked, locking the Impala.

‘Beat’s me,’ I shrugged, ‘Maybe he’s just tired,’ I began to walk into the room, being stopped by Dean grabbing my hand and pulling me into a kiss.

‘You do not know how many times I’ve had to stop myself from doing that today,’ he smiled, brushing a piece of hair from my face.

I rolled my eyes, pushing him gently from me, ‘Let’s get inside before Sam comes out looking for us.’

We then walked into the room, Sam already face down on the pillows, spread apart completely on the far right bed.

I sighed, ‘Looks like I’m sleeping on the floor tonight.’

‘What? No way! We’re both adults. We can share,’ Dean smiled, jumping on the left end of the bed and patting down the side beside him, motioning me to lie down.
‘Fine, but don’t try and-‘

‘I wont! Scouts honor,’ Dean crossed his heart, smiling goofily at me.

I sighed again, laying down beside him and reaching over to the bedside lamp, pulling down the chain and turning the remaining light off.

‘Goodnight, Iris,’ Dean stated, turning over on his side.

‘Night, Dean,’ I stretched; closing my eyes and letting sleep overcome me once again.