Wonderwall

Twelve

When I awoke, my vision was blurry, my head throbbing hard against my skull. I lied there for a few seconds, on the bed, staring up blankly at the ceiling; not knowing whether or not to cry. I eventually sat up, moving my gaze to the dirty, navy blue carpet, feeling the eyes of everyone on me. I was too scared to look up, knowing that if I did I wouldn’t be able to hold in the tears that wanted so desperately to burst out. I sighed heavily for a few minutes in an effort to comfort myself. No one in the room moved towards me, probably in fear that I would lash out at them. It was completely silent, only the sounds of the wind letting me know that I hadn’t gone deaf. I finally looked up, locking eyes with Dean, my heart falling into my stomach. I couldn’t take it; this room, the memoires, everyone around me. It was too much, too heavy on me, and I felt that if I stayed here one more second that I would drown in thin air. That’s when I felt my body sprint out the door, my mind still sitting in a pool of paralysis. I could hear Dean trying to catch up, screaming for me to slow down, but it was no use. If I couldn’t even control my own body, how was he to stop it?

I must’ve been running for about twenty minutes straight, my lungs leaping heavily against my chest. I was crying, hard, my shirt practically soaked with tears. I had no idea where I was when I finally realized how far I had gone, ending up somewhere in a forest. I hadn’t even known we were close to anything like this, but, lucky me, I was able to find it. I took a seat down on a large mossy rock, grabbing my legs and hugging them tightly against me. I looked around, nothing but trees for what seemed to be miles. It was cold, and it was then that I realized I only had a thin t-shirt and jeans on, my skin beginning to crawl from the chill autumn air. I had decided, after a few minutes of catching my breath, to call Dean; the only person I could bear to see or talk to right now. I reached into my jean pocket, hoping that it hadn’t fallen out from my run, and swiftly pulled it out. The time read 12:30 and I had seventeen missed calls and five voicemails from Dean. I knew not to waste my time listening to them, though, since they would only make me feel guilty for leaving him like that. I began to dial his number, hoping he wouldn’t be too upset, when I heard a man screaming off in the distance.

I shoved my phone back into my pocket and jogged to where I thought the sounds were coming from, leading me to a dirt trail. I followed it for it for a few minutes and eventually came upon a man bleeding heavily from his neck.

‘Oh, thank god,’ the man sobbed, pulling me down to him, ‘You have to get us out of here, before she gets you too.’

‘Who’s she?’ I asked, ripping a piece of my shirt and placing it over his neck. I assumed he was hallucinating from the amount of blood he lost, not becoming too nervous from his warning.

‘Me,’ I heard a woman speak from behind, my stomach dropping to my knees. I turned around, making eye contact with a tall, blonde. Her mouth and white shirt were drenched in blood; this man’s blood.

The man began screaming now, trying viciously to crawl away. I stood up, facing her, since I knew running was out of the question at this point, trying to make myself seem intimidating; although my 5’2 frame was anything but. I could hear the male joggers screams slowly start to become quieter from the distance between us, until I heard a snap; the snap of his neck breaking.

She circled me, staring me up and down with starved eyes, her teeth transforming into sharp daggers. The movies had made vampires seem so polite, more human than monster; but the thing standing in front of me, teeth bared, was nothing more than a wild, ravenous animal, hunting down its vulnerable prey.

‘So, you’re the Winchester’s new pet?’ She asked, empathizing the T in the end of her sentence. She was calm, knowing that there wasn’t any way I could defend myself.

I didn’t answer; I couldn’t bring my voice to speak.

‘Looks like we got ourselves a real talker, Sebastian,’ She teased, another vampire coming into view.

He was large, probably around 6’4, with dark hair and bright green eyes. He wore a leather jacket, a bandana tied loosely around his long hair, and even if he wasn’t a bloodthirsty monster, I wouldn’t have messed him as a mortal. He examined me for a while; eyes steady, coming close enough to smell the scent of my shampoo. At first, I thought he was going to make me his meal of the day, his followers chanting for him to bite into me; but he didn’t. He was smarter than the others, more refined, making him much more terrifying.

‘We need her alive, friends,’ He paused, turning around so that I was looking at his rear, ‘Take her back to the liar for safekeeping. The Winchester’s are sure to come looking for her eventually and with them in our turf, we’ll be sure to defeat them for good,’ 5 new vampires now appeared from behind the brush, following their leaders orders without question. They all smiled at me, before lunging, the blonde one holding a rag over my mouth while the others secured me to the ground. I struggled my hardest, but with the cloth being soaked in chloroform, I was out in under a minute.

I woke up for the second time today, feeling a hard, cold floor against my back. I was in a rusty cage this time, in a room full of other cages designed for what I assumed to be larger animals. I knew that this was probably where they kept their meals; a vampires version of a refrigerator. I was glad to see that there weren’t others locked up as I looked around, me being the only one to occupy the large, dark prison.

‘Oh, good. She’s up,’ The blonde from before approached me, her daggers now disguised as a normal human smile.

I stared blankly at her, hiding my fear behind silence.

She nodded, noting my muteness, ‘I’m Katie, by the way,’ She stuck her hand in the small space between bars, holding it out for a handshake.

Again, I didn’t answer, leaving both my hands glued to my side.

‘There’s no need to be scared, you know. Sebastian said we weren’t allowed to eat you until after we finished off the Winchesters, so you’re safe for a while, ’ She smiled, seeming a bit too friendly for a girl who had just ripped off an innocent man’s neck, ‘Besides, you’re not even my type.’

‘Why are you doing this? Capturing me and trying to lure the Winchester’s here?’ I finally spoke, watching Katie carefully as she walked closer to me.

‘Ah, you can talk!’ She crossed her arms, pacing back and forth in front of the cage as if she was beginning to tell a long story, ‘It’s simple, Iris. The boss wants them dead, gone, out of our hair. They’ve caused way too much trouble for our kind and need to be taken out. It’s nothing personal really, or…well I guess it’s pretty personal, considering the eldest Winchester just took out one of Sebastian’s brothers. You should’ve seen how outraged he was. I’m surprised he didn’t just kill you on the spot, you know, an eye for an eye, but don’t worry. That time will come soon enough.’

‘You honestly think it’s going to be that easy?’

‘Capturing the Winchesters? Oh, of course it will be. With you as our bait, they’ll come running right into our trap. We wont even have to step outside, trust me. The Winchesters are famous for self-sacrifice, Iris. Especially for people they love.’

‘We’ll trust me when I say this, Katie, you’ll regret the day you ever underestimate the Winchesters, you and all your friends,’ I glared at her, hoping to make my point.

She laughed, throwing her head back, ‘Okay, doll. Whatever you say.’

My phone then began to ring, both of us whipping our heads to look at it.

‘Right on time,’ She smiled evilly at me, walking over to pick it up from a table. She quickly answered it, putting it on speaker phone.

‘Iris? Where the hell are you? I’ve been looking everywhere-‘ Dean talked into the phone, his voice filled with worry.

‘Oh, hi, there sugar. Iris can’t exactly answer the phone right now, but I’d be more than welcome to take a message.’

‘Who the hell is this?’ Dean asked, his voice loosing all of its sincerity from before. I could practically feel how tense he had become.

‘I’m Iris’s new friend, Katie. We’ve been taking real good care of-

‘I swear to god if you so as lay one goddamn finger on her, I will come rip your friggen lungs out!’ He was yelling now, his anger obvious.

‘Dean! I’m fine. You can’t listen to anything she says, you can’t come here, please! It’s a trap,’ I screamed, trying to warn him, but Katie clicked the phone off speaker before I could say another word.

I listened as she toyed with him, avoiding all the questions he was probably asking. Eventually, after a few minutes of her mind games, she told him our location, hanging up the phone and walking over to my cage. She placed her head right against the metal bars, ‘Too late to save your man now, Iris. Guess we’ll have to wait and see which one of us is right,’ She walked away, laughing, exiting the room and leaving me alone in the darkness.