Wonderwall

Two

Chapter two
I had woken up early the next morning to ensure that I would be completely prepared for my journey with the guys. Dean hadn’t explained much to me and I wasn’t positive on how long I was going to be gone, so I packed a suitcase and a small duffel bag of clothes and other necessities. I waited patiently at my kitchen table, enjoying the last bit of the coffee I had made when I heard a loud knock upon my door.

“Hello Iris,” A very tall, young man greeted me, a large smile spread across his face.

‘Sammy?’ The last time I had seen him he was thirteen; much smaller and scrawnier.

He nodded and in response I jumped into his arms, “Great to see you, Sam! You got so, uh, big.”

He laughed as he set me down on the ground, carrying my bags with ease, ‘Yeah, I get that a lot.’

I took another second to examine his new surprising appearance before following him to the car where Dean was seated in the driver’s side, blasting Metallica and taping his fingers on the steering wheel. I jumped into the backseat, giving Dean a small smile.

‘You look lovely this morning,’ He smiled, looking back at me through the rear view mirror.

I rolled my eyes and pulled out one of the many books I had brought along, hoping to make the time go by faster. I knew the drive to Portland was going to be a long one, filled with Dean’s annoying music and the brothers constant bickering, and I had prepared myself for the worst.

‘So, Iris, how have you been?’ Sam questioned, turning his body around to face me. We had been driving for an hour now and the last 10 minutes had been spent in awkward silence.

‘I’ve been good, Sammy. What about you?’ I answered, looking up from my book to meet his gaze.

‘Fine, just fine,’ He smiled, looking over at Dean questioningly before continuing, ‘You, uh, you know about the whole m-‘

‘Monster thing? Yeah, Dean kind of broke it down for me yesterday,’ I gave him a small grin, placing my book on the seat beside me.

‘It takes some time to get used too, but it’ll get easier’ He smiled sadly, turning back around in his seat.

‘She’s a tough girl, she’ll be fine,’ Dean looked back at me through the mirror, giving me a quick wink. ‘Besides, Sammy, you have to admit that our job is pretty badass’.

‘Oh, yeah. It’s just peachy’, Sammy scoffed, shaking his head lightly and turning to look out the window beside him.

I was curious as to why Sam seemed so bitter about being a hunter, but I didn’t bother badgering him on a subject I was still so new on. Instead, I had decided to look out at the scenery around us and enjoy the quiet for the short amount of time that I had it for.

We were about halfway to Portland when a man in a trench coat and a young woman suddenly appeared in the empty seats next to me, causing me to scream and back up against the car door.

‘Hello Dean,’ the man said coarsely, flattening the wrinkles in his long, tan trench coat.

‘Hey Cas, good to see you,’ Dean replied with a smile, taking a second to glance back at him

‘Uh, who the hell is this?’ I asked, my eyes glued to the mysterious newcomers.

‘This is Castiel, the angel, and his companion Dahlia,’ Sam chuckled, turning around to face us, ‘They’re helping us find Dad.’

I nodded, turning to face them, ‘I’m Iris, Sammy and Dean’s old friend. Nice to meet you,’ I held out my hand and managed to smile, even though their presence had made me quite nervous.

‘Nice to meet you too, Iris,’ Castiel took my hand for a tight grip, making uninterrupted eye contact with me for what seemed like forever, ‘I’m happy to have finally gotten the chance to meet you. Dean has been talking about you non-stop for the past couple weeks and-‘

Dean laughed nervously, glaring back at Cas through the rear mirror, ‘So, uh, did you find anything else on my dad yet?’ He changed the subject hurriedly, moving his gaze back on the road.

‘Unfortunately, my extensive searching hasn’t found anything with significant importance. All I am sure of is that he was seen in Portland a few weeks ago,’ Castiel’s face remained expressionless as he spoke, his voice rough with what seemed like exhaustion.

‘Have you boys found anything inquiring?’ Dahlia finally spoke, her voice much more softer than I had expected. She kept her face turned towards the window, her arms loosely crossed against her chest.

‘Besides Iris here, we’ve come up empty handed,’ Dean looked back to smile warmly at me and I found my face becoming hot.

‘What exactly are we searching for in Portland?’ I had finally spoke and everyone in the car had turned to look at me; even Dahlia.

‘Any clues to help us find Dad. Cas’s sources had spotted him there and right now it’s our only lead,’ Sammy answered, a small sense of hopelessness present in his voice.

After that, I had contently listened to Dean and Castiel banter back and forth about what actions we would take when we finally reached Portland. Sammy added in every once in a while with his opinion on the matter, but Dahlia had remained perfectly quiet, which had made me even more unnerved to be around her.

She was rigid, like a statue, with skin as pale as untouched snow and her faced showed little emotion; similar to how Castiel acted. Her hair was dark and fell past her shoulders in soft, velvet waves. From what I could see from my seat, her eyes were a dark brown and filled with an opaque intensity. I had found myself staring at her for a much longer time than I had expected to be and had become uncomfortable when I had realized how long I had examined her. She had reminded me of what I thought my mother looked like, since the only evidence I had of her appearance were the few photos I had stolen from my father’s drawers. The resemblance was uncanny and I had to convince myself that I wasn’t going crazy during the rest of the drive.

We arrived in Portland at eleven and had checked into The Sandover Motel, a small, rundown, place in what seemed like the middle of nowhere. I had decided to room with Dean and Sammy, sparing myself the awkward conversations with Castiel and Dahlia. Besides, I didn’t think my sanity could take on the challenge of having to be around her for the rest of the night. The car ride was sufficient enough bonding time for me.

Once we had our rooms, I had gone to the car to retrieve the remainder of our stuff, taking a second to lean against the trunk and gaze up at the sky.

‘Beautiful, isn’t it?’ Dean asked, leaning up beside me on the back of his car.

I hummed in agreement, trying to keep my focus on the sky. I could feel him staring at me, his eyes carefully watching my every move.

‘What?’ I finally asked, bringing my eyes to meet his. It was dark outside, but with the fluorescent lights around us, I could still see the green in them.

‘Nothing,’ He laughed, flashing me a goofy smile.

‘Dean, what is it?’ I raised my eyebrows, trying to hold back the smile that played on my lips.

‘It’s just…. this…. it reminds me of when we used to watch the stars back when we were kids. You know, when we would set down a towel and lay on it and just watch the sky for hours. And then,’ he paused for a moment, letting out a small chuckle, ‘You would fall asleep in my arms, and for a while I would just lay there, but eventually I had to carry your ass all the way back to the room.’

I laughed, shaking my head and giving him a small shove, ‘You? Carry me? Not with your scrawny muscles. There’s no way!’ I turned and grabbed the rest of the bags, handing Dean a few as well.

‘Uh-huh! Every time! I would have to drag your ass all by myself, and sometimes I had to go up stairs and-‘

‘Oh boo hoo! Don’t be such a little bitch,’ I teased, opening up the door and leading us inside

‘You know, you should be thanking me instead of calling me names!’ He threw the bags on the floor, spreading himself out on one of the beds, a large smirk across his face.

‘Yeah, yeah, whatever,’ I shook my head, taking my place on the opposite bed.

‘So, I guess I’m sleeping on the floor then?’ Sam came out of the bathroom, his hair wet and eye brows raised.

‘We can just share, Sammy. It’s no big deal,’ I stated, scooting over and patting the empty side beside me. The bed was plenty big and there wasn’t any reason for him to sleep uncomfortably on the floor.

Sammy plopped down beside me without saying another word, burying his face in the pillows.

‘Goodnight, Iris,’ Dean stated, before turning of the bedside lamp.

‘Night, Dean,’ I replied, pulling the covers to my chin and curling into a ball; overwhelmed with joy to actually be getting some rest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for Reading! please leave comments