Status: In the process of writing.

Paper Cranes

Prologue

It is said that when a thousand paper cranes are folded by someone they are gifted with something magical from a crane. Some stories say they're granted eternal good luck, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury. Others promise a single wish fulfilled. Each of the thousand cranes must be folded and finished within a year's time for the wish to adhere.

Set the scene for our protagonist, a hopeless dreamer with a large heart and kind eyes. For most of her life she's been giving too much of herself away, hoping for someone who'll return the favor. And most of the time she's met with less than she deserves.

She learns of this story, of the cranes and their supposed magical qualities. Never a believer in the magic of 11:11 or shooting stars she's a skeptic at best. On whim she takes it upon herself to try and complete a thousand cranes by the end of the year, out of curiosity more than anything.

And to her surprise, she completes the task, days before the year's up. And as she hangs up the last crane she whispers the wish, it's words dissipating into the night air.

"I want to know if I'll ever be loved. I want to know what it's like. Even if it's short lived. Even if it hurts. Even if it isn't perfect."

The candles on her windowsill flicker.

"I want to feel alive."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yup. This is probably the most cliche idea I've ever had. I'm still excited to write about it though. Hopefully this one will be better than the other things I've written.
Because honestly, I'm ashamed of those haha.