Status: In the process of writing.

Paper Cranes

Green Eyes

Image

So far nothing was different. There weren't any signs. I felt the same. The day was passing in it's usual matter, and I wasn't quite sure if that was a good thing or not.

And though I'd never admit it, I felt slightly deflated because of this.

Even though I totally knew it wouldn't work anyways.

Yup, totally…

Magic and fairytales weren't real. I don't know who I was kidding when I thought making cranes would change a thing.

***

I threw on some clothes before making my way to the grocery store down the block. As promised I was buying ingredients to make Arianna her precious chocolate cheesecake. I thought maybe I would buy some ingredients for chocolate chip cookies too, so I could make myself some, if I felt up to it after I finished the cake.

I waded through the throngs of people, adding item upon item to my ever growing pile of ingredients. I wasn't sure whether we had enough of some things, like flour for my cookies, so I was probably buying a bit too much. But better safe than sorry, right?

As I payed for my mountain of food, I began to regret even buying it.

Despite the fact that our apartment wasn't that far away, I knew that my arms would be killing me by the time I made it there.

That is, if my groceries didn't threaten to swallow me whole first.

I padded my way down the street, getting some angry glares along the way, as my groceries were taking up a substantial amount of space. I had almost thrown a portly woman to the ground a couple streets back. She nearly yelled at me too, but once I'd begun to apologize profusely, she took pity on my poor soul and forgave me, a small apologetic smile painting her lips.

I continued my way down the crowded street, only to be thrown to the ground. I narrowly avoided falling on the bags and fallen ingredients.

I silently cursed myself for buying so much.

Shaking my head I began to pick myself up, when a voice startled me.

"Are you okay? Let me help you."

Surprised I looked up, my eyes falling on the face of a charming stranger.

His outstretched hand was reaching for mine, and I hesitantly took it.

My mind was fumbling for words. The first thing I notice is his dimpled smile, and then the various birthmarks strewn across his face and neck. My roaming eyes become caught on his. They're a most striking shade of green, framed by dark, messy curls. Immediately I'm reminded of a summer's day.

My stomach knots as he helps me to my feet. I mutter an apology. "I'm so sorry. It's all my fault." I barely glance at his face before moving to pick up the dropped items.

He laughs at me, mirroring my position as he helps to stack the items back in the bags. My eyes move back to his face his smile never wavers. "It's alright, love."

I try to ignore the way his voice makes my heart hammer against my chest.

I tear my eyes away from him, my anxiety skyrocketing even higher. I don't know how to handle myself.

Both of us stand up as I start to perch the bags on my arms again. "Thank you for helping me."

"It's no problem really. I'm sorry I pushed you over. I should watch where I'm going." The boy rubbed the back of his neck, looking at me with an apologetic smile. If I was shocked at his appearance before, I'm blown away now. His accent betrays that he isn't from around here, and I found myself wondering where he came from.

All I knew for sure was his voice made me feel weak in the knees.

"It's my fault really. I went a little overboard."

He eyes my nearly full arms. "How far is your house from here?"

I gave him a look, to which he laughed. "That came out creepier than intended. I just thought maybe I'd help you carry all this stuff."

I shook my head again, eyes glued to the floor. "I couldn't ask you to do that. I don't even know you."

"But I'm offering," he countered, "You look like you could really use the help."

I bit my lip. "I've got to go."

I turned to leave when his hand found the crook of my elbow. "Wait!" His green eyes found mine, "At least tell me your name."

Without much thought it drips from my lips, "Melody."

Before he has a chance to say anything in return, I'm scurrying away. His voice getting lost within the crowd, as I focused on putting some space between us.

"I'm Harry…"

What I didn't seem to notice at the time, was the tall green-eyed boy standing there, his long fingers slowly thumbing through the pages of my forgotten sketchbook.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't even know what to say. Twenty one subscribers already?
I'm amazed you guys.
This is kind of short though, and it's not that eventful. But, the next part is probably one of my favorites.
I'm surprised I got two chapters up in a row. Usually I'm not this good at updating.
School's coming back tomorrow, so I probably won't have anything new up until Friday.
You guys make me happy. <3