Status: In the process of writing.

Paper Cranes

Not a Date

Image

There are three things in this world that I've never been remotely good at.

Math, chemistry, and making phone calls.

Four, if you count saying the right things all the time.

That's why I had avoided calling Harry for a week.

I would have probably continued doing so, if Arianna hadn't badgered me nonstop since early this morning. I had given in an hour ago, and promised that I would call him later today. It was now 12:45 and she wasn't giving up anytime soon.

"So far as I'm concerned, it's later!" Arianna called as she walked by my room.

"I understand that!"

"Just call him! You know if you don't now, you never will."

"That's true but…" But I don't know what to say.

I had an idea. I sent him a simple text.

Hi! It's Melody.

Harry replied within minutes.

Ah. If I recall correctly, I said I hoped to hear from you soon. And this text qualifies as neither.

Neither what?

It's neither soon, nor can I hear your beautiful voice.


I rolled my eyes a bit at that one. I do have to admit though, it made me smile like an idiot.

You never specifically told me to call. All you said was you hoped to hear from me.

Hear being the technicality, love. Thought it went without say.


Before I could think of a response, Harry's name danced across my now ringing phone.

"Hello."

"Melody," Harry chided, "I thought you had better manners than to keep me waiting."

"I wasn't under the impression that you'd be anxiously awaiting my call."

"Well, I was. Hurts to know that you didn't share a mutual anticipation to talk."

"I never said that I didn't."

"But you waited a week to call." He reminded me teasingly. "Actions speak louder than words."

"And good things come to those who wait."

"Touche. So how are you today?"

"Pretty good. What about you?"

"Things are looking significantly better than they were earlier. Though, my best mate ditched me for a movie with his girlfriend."

"I'm sorry."

"It's quite alright."

Things were quiet.

"Sorry, I'm pretty terrible at keeping a good conversation." I said.

"It's fine." Pause. "What are you doing today?"

"Absolutely nothing. Why?" My fingers toyed with the pendant on my necklace, the small dream catcher's single turquoise bead cold on my hand.

"I was thinking we should do something."

"Like what?"

"Grab a coffee or something. I don't know. I just want to see you." I could almost see his dimpled smile.

"I - uh…"

"Too cheesy?"

"Just a bit, but that's okay. I'd love to."

"So, care to meet at Starbucks in say, twenty?"

"Sure."

"See you then, Melody."

***

"So you're studying business?" Harry asked incredulously.

I took a sip of my hot chocolate. "Believe me, it's not by choice."

"Well then why? It seems a waste to attend college for something you have no desire to pursue."

"I'm also taking an art course, but that's not my major. It's because of my parents."

"But you're a fantastic artist. Why don't they let you major in that?"

"Because they don't think it'll get me anywhere in life." I shrugged.

His eyes widened. "Have they seriously never taken a look at your work?"

"Yeah. But it doesn't really matter to them. They just said that since they're paying for a part of my tuition that I have to major in what they want. Because a business degree is 'practical'. That it'll give me more opportunities than an art one."

While it certainly bothered me that I had to major in business, one of the things I couldn't see myself going into by choice, I didn't have much room to complain. My job at the bookstore couldn't pay all the fees, (much less college expenses and the rent that I shared with Arianna)and part of me was grateful that my parents were helping at all.

"That's a load of bull. With talent like yours, you could go anywhere."

"I don't know if that's necessarily true, but thank you."

It was quiet for a minute, the birds chirped as we walked slowly across the narrow downtown streets. For a Saturday it wasn't that crowded, this both surprised and pleased me.

Amazingly we hadn't stopped talking since we met up, a continuous flow of conversation being supplied. "What about you though? I feel like we've only talked about me." I said. "What brought you here?"

"Honestly, I'm not quite sure. My mate, Niall, was moving down here to be closer to his girlfriend, and he asked me if I'd like to move in for a bit, see how I like it. Maybe move in permanently as their sort of roommate." Harry shrugged. "I wasn't entirely sold on the idea at first, because come on, who really likes to be the third wheel?" He smiled down at me. "But lately it's been looking like I made the right choice."

I felt a smile creep onto my face, as I turned my gaze in the opposite direction. I didn't know what to make of this, of him.

"That's good. I'm curious though, where exactly are you from?"

"Holmes Chapel, Cheshire."

"What about your friend?"

"I have a lot of friends," Harry teased. "Be more specific."

I rolled my eyes. "Niall. He's the blonde from the gelato shop, right?"

Harry nodded, smiling a bit. "He's from Mullingar, Ireland."

I wasn't sure how to broach the subject without making myself feel like a bit of an idiot. He was here, so that must have meant something, right?

I started, "You said Niall moved here because of his girlfriend. Am I to assume you have a--"

I was cut off by cute, girlish squeals. "Melody! Harry!" Calliope was running toward us, a large grin on her face as her parents trailed slowly behind her.

A large smile erupted on Harry's face as he bent down, and caught her mid jump. Standing, he twirled her in a circle, her raven hair flying as she tossed her head back, laughing happily.

After coming to a stop, Harry still held her. "Pee!" He said.

"I'm not pee!" She giggled.

I smiled at their interaction as she began to argue with him.

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

"Are too!" Harry poked at her sides, creating a new round of giggles within her.

"Stop it!"

"Make me!" He teased, poking her more.

Ricky had disappeared after pecking Kylie on the lips, and I assumed he was going to the shop.

"How are you, Melody?" Kylie asked me, grinning as she gave me a hug.

"Fine. What about you?"

"Wonderful." She chirped. "We were just on our way to see how her grandmother's doing. You know how much Eleanor loves Cal." Kylie was silent as she eyed Harry for a moment. "Are we interrupting something?"

I was sure I blushed. "Not at all. We were just getting coffee."

Kylie gave me one of those looks, laughing. "Oh really?"

"Mom!" Calliope called.

"Mom!" Harry mimicked her.

"Hey don't copy me!"

Which was exactly what he did.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know what to say. There's 42 of you and I'm still dying over here.
sdslkmdsfklf
I should really proofread my chapters more carefully I'm honestly ashamed. You guys should have told me it was that horribly edited.
I just okay.
So I think that I'm not going to have One Direction be like, a thing in this. I wouldn't know where to begin with it, so I think I'm just going to have them all be friends, and they're not going to be a boyband. You know? But as of right now, Niall's going to be the only other boy mentioned.
I realize that not much has happened at this point, you know being only four chapters in. But I would like to hear from you guys, what you think I could improve on or anything really.
You guys are perfect!
I leave you with this.
Image