Status: Thanks for clicking ^.^ Finished

Girl, I Don't Know What You See, You're More Than Just a Mannequin to Me

Three;

I was at a diner eating lunch with Peyton. We, of course, made up. As always.

I took a bite of my salad as Peyton explained to me something about his job and what had to happen.

I heard the little door jingle to my right and quickly turned my head out of habit. I was turning back when I realized who I saw and did a double take.

“COTTON CAAAAANDY!”

I scrambled from the seat before Jack could actually jump on the table to hug me. In the next moment I was twirling in circles.

“Jack, I can’t breath,” I croaked.

Jack ignored me.

When he finally set me down, I looked at his tall figure. He had faint stubble along his chin and his dark eyes looked at me with a gentle playfulness.

“I gotta hug you now,” I said, wrapping my arms around his waist and squeezing. “I missed you Jack Attack.”

“I missed you, too, Cotton Candy,” Jack replied.

I pulled away from him and turned to the rest of the guys. A smile was etched on Rian and Zack’s faces.

I looked at Alex. He looked close to tears.

“Hey, gimme a hug,” I commanded Rian, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him into my body. He smelled of mint. Rian always smelled of mint.

After I hugged Rian I hugged Zack, who squeezed the shit outta me.

Then I was standing in front of Alex. We kinda just stared each other down.

“Hey,” I said finally, shoving my hands in my pockets.

“Hey,” he replied in a raspy voice. His eyes were a kind of red tint. They were glossy with water. I pressed my lips together.

I could feel everybody else’s eyes on us. It wasn’t a good feeling.

“Congrats on the tour,” he said.

I smiled, “Thanks.”

It was quiet again.

“How’s the cat?” Alex asked.

“The one you got me?” I raised my eyebrows. “He’s really good. I meant to call for an explanation…but I don’t know what happened.”

Alex let out a choked chuckle. “What’d you name him?”

“Alejandro,” I replied.

Alex let out a real laugh then.

I held out my arms, “So you gonna hug me or not, Ingo?”

A silly smile formed on Alex’s face when he reached out and pulled me into his arms. His hair brushed against my forehead, tickling the area. Alex’s skin was warm and very soft. I could feel just the tips of his lips against the top of my ear. A familiar sense of longing entered my gut.

I admit I miss seeing your face, babe,” I quoted his song quietly in his ear.

I could hear Alex’s breath catch. I pressed my lips together.

Then I could hear his voice in my ear.

I need a reason to feel like everything was meant to be let go.”

Take it slow,” I whispered back, before finally pulling away.

Alex gave me a sad smile. I gave him my best smile back.

“Uh, we should get going back to the venue, Cayne.”

I had forgotten Peyton was even here until he spoke up, pulling out his wallet and setting a few crumpled bills on the table.

“Uh, yeah, okay,” I nodded.

“Wait, what’s he doing here?” Alex stepped forward, his eyes narrowing at Peyton.

“What do you mean?” I asked. “You should know we’re dating by now.”

“Yeah, but I didn’t think you were stupid enough to bring him on a tour my band is on,” Alex practically spat.

Why didn’t he just rip my fucking heart out?

“Peyton, let’s just go,” I commanded. Peyton glared at Alex and followed me out of the small diner.

“He’s who gave you Alejandro?” Peyton asked when we were in the van.

“Yeah,” I answered simply.

“And you never told me?” he continued.

“It wasn’t important information,” I shrugged.

Peyton gave me a look I didn’t like.

“Alex is in love with me, it’s kinda obvious,” I explained, because I knew he’d pester me until it started a fight. I didn’t feel like fighting. “I told him I’d always liked cats and never got any. So he got me a cat. Big deal.”

“Big deal,” Peyton said.

I parted my lips, and then shut my mouth. I knew I’d say something stupid.

So I took a deep breath, and then said something else. “I love Alejandro because he’s my baby. Not because Alex got him for me.”

“Alejandro is the Spanish version for Alexander.”

“No shit, Sherlock,” I let go.

Peyton glared at me, “Do you love Alex, too?”

“No shit, Sherlock.”

I regretted the words when they left my mouth. This is why I always had to watch what I said when I was angry. And I just admitted the thing that I couldn’t even admit to myself to Peyton.

Peyton looked angry.

“Peyton, don’t be a bitch. I obviously love you more or we wouldn’t be together right now,” I said.

Peyton shot me a warning look. “Are you sure that’s the reason you’re with me then him?”

“Of course I’m sure,” I answered.

But even I wasn’t sure I believed that.

I looked out the window, squinting my eyes. Through the diner windows I could see Alex sitting with Jack, Rian, and Zack. He looked tense, hurt, and mad.

His hair had grown a little. The brown was framing his normally carefree and soft face. I could just make out the small specks of melted chocolate that were his eyes. His thin pink lips puckered out unhappily.

He was so cute when he was mad.

I put my seatbelt across my chest, “Can you just drive, now? I’m tired of this conversation.”

Peyton put on his seatbelt as well, then twisted the key in the ignition. “Of fucking course you are, Cayne.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Commenter shoutout

Sixteen Saltines and xoxo_aj_xoxo