Status: On-going...

We Got Married

Episode 8: The Best Gift Comes From The Heart

Interview room with Sidney Crosby

"Are you upset that your visual fiancé wasn't able to come to your birthday?" WGM interviewer asked him.

"Of course, it was a very important day for me but in the pass two weeks she keep apologizing and sending pictures of 87 to me, which I think is really cute. So, I get over it quickly but it will be amazing if she was there. She's just really busy and I understand that." he answered.

___________

Halifax Metro Center

Sidney was waiting sitting on the bleachers of the Halifax Metro Center, where the Stars On Ice will perform tonight in his hometown while Cassandra change her rehearsal clothes to her normal one.

He was greeted by the cast of the ice show as he arrived earlier while Katrina, on the other hand was obviously sending him a knowing smile about the scene she saw when he was about to kiss Cassandra in front of their hotel room.

When she went out of the changing room, she was now wearing her street clothes .Smiling brightly, she approached him, he stood up then they held hands as they bid their see you later to the cast and crew of the show before they left the arena.

"What's in the paper bag?" he asked her as she took it from her to carry it.

"My gift for your family." she answered.

"You don't have to give them a gift." he frowned.

"I want to." she told him, giving him smile. "So just let me, okay?"

They rode his SUV, heading to his parents house for them to finally meet her and have lunch with them.

"You're wearing the necklace." he said, smiling as he drive.

She picked up the skating shoes pendant, staring at it with a smile as well. "I wear it all the time."

"Good. I like seeing you wear it."

"Of course, it comes from you."

"Are you nervous to meet my parents?" he asked glancing at her direction.

"A little bit. I wish I introduce myself to them when I saw them on the game before." she answered regretfully.

___________

Studio

"I told her before that I'd introduce her to his parents but she said she was shy." Cedric commented at his twin sister's answer.

"That's the down side of Cassy's shyness at meeting new people." Shirley added.

___________

Interview room with Cassandra Collins

"Are you nervous about meeting his parents?" WGM interviewer asked.

"I am nervous. Obviously I never went to meet a guy's parents before as more than friends with the guy, so it made me nervous that they might not like me."

"But you seem to be fine with the Lemieuxs."

"I know the Lemieuxs since I'm fourteen because Austin live with them on his rookie year, they've always been nice to me. But with Sid's parents I only saw them on games but never talk or introduce to them, which made me nervous."

___________

En route to Sidney's parents' house

"Don't worry, family is very excited to finally meet you." he assured her giving her a smile when he glanced at her. "My mom bought tickets for your ice show. We'll watch you tonight."

"You'll watch my ice show again?"

"Why not? It was really great. I'm sure they'll enjoy watching it too."

"You don't like the part where I have to dance with the guys and my duet with Nick."

"Yeah, but it's part of the show, so there's nothing I can do. Although I don't like other man touching you."

___________

Studio

"Isn't he getting a bit possessive?" Boy asked his co-commentators.

"If your fiancé is as oblivious as Cassandra about the guys around her that might take advantage of her then he had all the right to be possessive like that." Myra answered him.

"She might be oblivious when a guy is hitting on her that's why the guy can never take advantage of her because she'll automatically categorize the guy as a friend." Shirley told them.

__________

En route to Sidney's parents' house

"But you do know… there is no one else… but you." she kept halting as she told him this blushing.

He had a huge grin plastered on his face, "I don't know. How am I supposed to know?" he knows that he was flirting with her but it felt nice.

"I'm with you. Isn't that enough reason?"

"Well, you didn't come to my birthday, which still upset me."

"I'm sorry." she told him sadly. "I really want to come but I can't."

He glanced at her and she looked really sad and guilty about it that he felt like a jerk for mentioning it when the entire two weeks all she did was send him cute, pictures of his number, eighty-seven whenever she saw one to tell him that she was thinking about him. It's not flirty nor sexy text messages but they were very cute and funny, it never failed to make him laughed. "Hey, I'm just kidding."

"It still made feel guilty."

"What will make you feel not guilty anymore?"

"When I give my gift to you."

"Give me your gift then."

"I'll give it to you tonight after the show."

"Why after the show?"

"Just wait for tonight."

He was curious about her gift to him but didn't asked her since he'd been nagging her in the pass two weeks what it was whenever they talked over the phone or text each other but she never told him. They arrived at his parents' house and his mother, Tina immediately came out of the house when she heard them parking at the garage. Right after they got off of the SUV his mother quickly grabbed Cassandra to hugged her and she hugged her back as well.

"I'm so sorry! I haven't introduce myself yet. I'm Tina! It's so great to finally meet you!" she hugged her again.

"Thank you! I'm Cassandra, you can call me Cassy." she told Tina when she let her go.

"You're scaring the poor woman, Tina." Troy told her wife as he and Taylor came out of the house as well.

"Good afternoon!" she greeted Troy and Taylor with a bright smile.

"I'm Troy and I'm sorry for my wife attacking you with a hug." he enveloped her in a bear hug.

"It's okay! I'm Cassy."

"Taylor." his younger sister introduced herself giving her a warm hugged as well.

"It's nice to meet you all." she told them tucking a loose strand of her hair behind her ear while smiling shyly.

"Why don't we all come inside?" Sidney told everyone and they all made their way inside the house. Tina linked her arms with Cassandra as they went to the dinning room to eat their lunch. When they were all seated in the living room Cassandra pulled out her gifts for his family.

"I wasn't able to come to his birthday, so I'll hand over my gift for you today." she told them giving out her gift. "Don't worry it's not really special or expensive at all."

Tine read the card that was attached on the gift. "Thank you for raising an amazing son, for that you deserve a gift for giving birth to him." she smiled at Cassandra. "That's very nice of you."

"I think parents should also receive a gift when their children is celebrating their birthday because they will not be here with their parents. Thank you for being Sid's parents." she thanked them. Eating their lunch his mother started talking with Cassandra.

"Do you know that you're the first woman Sidney ever brought home?" she told her.

"No, I don't." she shook her head then looked up to him.

"You're the first woman." he confirmed.

"I've watched your episodes and thought that they did great at choosing a partner for him."

"Thank you. I'm actually the lucky one to be pair up with Sid."

"That's not true." he disagreed to her.

"I think you're both lucky to have one another." Tina told them. "And after lunch while Sidney and Taylor wash the dishes I'll show you his pictures growing up." she told her excitedly. The sibling groaned when their mother told them that they'll be washing the dishes.

"That would be wonderful!" she exclaimed, clasping her hands together, a wide-eyed smile on her face.

"That's unfair! I never see any of your childhood pictures when we went to London." he told her.

"That's not my fault."

He stared at her blankly while she just keep smiling at him. "What are you smiling at?" he asked, acting grumpy but she just giggled.

"It doesn't suit you."

"He's too nice to act grumpy." Taylor agreed with Cassandra.

"Exactly." she agreed.

"Are you ganging up on me?" he asked in disbelief. It was great to see how she get along so well with his family. Taylor and him don't argue often, they actually get along so well so his sister taking her side was a good sign that they did like her.

"You're being too sensitive."

__________

Studio

"She get along so well with his family, especially his mother." Shirley said relief.

"Sid's parents are nice, she got nothing to worry in the first place." Cedric told them.

"You really should bond and try to get along well with your mother-in-law your life miserable." Myra commented.

"Are you speaking base on your experience?" Ryan asked sarcastically.

_________

Crosbys' house

After they eat their lunch Sidney and Taylor cleaned up the table and went to the kitchen to wash the dishes while Cassandra and his parents retreat to the living room. Tina did fulfil her promise to show her photo albums of Sidney's childhood, even told her stories behind each picture she show to her. His dad will sometimes add something to the story with obvious pride in his voice at his son's achievements. The sibling joined them after they finished washing the dishes. Tina continued showing pictures and telling storied to her while Sidney groaned and complained about it not being necessary to be told.

Hours later, the couple went out of the house, he took her to the dock. They removed their shoes then sat down with their feet dangling on the water. He leaned back to his hands watching her looking around his hometown like she naturally fit their.

"If you can stay a little longer we can go fishing." he told her.

"I'm not good at fishing. Whenever our family went fishing I never catch a thing." she started playfully splashing the water with her feet.

"I'll teach you, so you can catch a fish."

"Are you good at fishing?" she asked tilting her head to looked at him.

"I can catch a fish, so I do think I'm good." he answered grinning widely then stole a kissed on her lips. He casually leaned back to his hands again while she stared at him. "What?" he asked her acting innocent but she elbowed him on the ribs. He cupped her cheeks to kissed her again but this time it was longer. The kiss was slow as if they had all the time in the world, when it was the opposite of it all.

They were interrupted by a white dog barking at them then it run to Sidney, tackling him to the wooden floors of the dock. She can't help but laughed as Sam, the dog licked him on the face. "Hey! Girl calm down, sit!" he told the dog and it stopped licking him and followed his command to sit down.

"She's so fluffy!" she said caressing the dog's head.

"Sam like being pat in the head." he started rubbing the dog as well. Sam lay down on the floor contented being rubbed by the couple affectionately.

"I always wanted to had a dog but my mom is allergic to fury animals."

"Do you want us to have a dog when we move in together?"

"Who'll take care of it when we're both away?"

"We can hire someone to take care of it." she thought about it looking at the dog while still rubbing it.

"Let's talk about it when that time comes." she told him.

Sam, the dog was called by Tina then they talked about everything and anything that happened in two weeks they were apart although they called and texted each other everyday. Around four o'clock, as much as they still wanted to stay and talked some more she had to get back to the arena to get ready for her ice show. They stood up from sitting comfortably on the dock, before they walked back to his parents' house he lift her up carrying her bridal style effortlessly and she automatically wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I'm going to throw you into the water." he told her jokingly swinging her in his arms.

"No, you won't." she simply said.

"Your right." he started walking, still carrying her.

"Aren't you going to put me down now?"

"I don't want to."

"Okay." she rest her head comfortably on his shoulder.

He put her down before they reached his parents' house then intertwined their fingers together as they walked back inside to say goodbye before taking her back to the arena for her ice show.

"It was nice to meet you all. I had wonderful time. Thank you for your warm welcome." she told his family then they walked back to his SUV.

_________

Interview room with Cassandra Collins

"I'm really glad that I get along so well with his family. They were very nice and warm to me, which I appreciate so much. They are the first time meeting the parents of a guy that is more than a friend to me, so their opinion about me matters so much." she said.

__________

Interview room with Sidney Crosby

"My family's approval with Cassandra is important to me. She's really a nice and sweet woman, so I don't think they'll not like her at all. My mom loves her the most, she like that Cassy is really innocent and refreshing from other women around since mom is very old fashion." he shared.

__________

En route to Halifax Metro Center

"You're mom gave me her number." she told him as they drove back to the arena.

"She did?"

"Yeah, she told me to call her anytime if we had a problem."

"My mom is so nosy sometimes."

"I really like her. She seem to be a very cool mom."

"She is. She's always there to support me. She sacrificed a lot of things to help me get to where I am right now." he said with a genuine smile on his face.

"I don't think she thought of all the things she gave up as a sacrifice at all. You can never call something worth giving up for as a sacrifice if it made you and the people you love happy." she placed her hand on top of his right hand that was resting on the gear shift, smiling up at him as well. If anyone can understand about the things his parents gave up for him, it was her. Her parents might not be financial unstable like his but it was not all about money, it was about the effort they put on coming to every competition, supporting them win or lose. Celebrate with them when they won and comfort them when they lose.

"You sometimes talk older that twenty years old."

"Actually, I don't feel like twenty more like sixty at times."

"Body pain?"

"You know it."

"Absolutely, especially after a rough game."

"And off-ice training."

"You don't like off-ice training?"

"Hate it." he burst out laughing.

"I like off-ice training."

"What part of that torture made you like it?" she asked in disbelief.

"It's good for me." he simply said.

"I know it's a big help for me but it's a torture. I'd rather do dance class and run on the treadmill but other exercise, thank you very much."

"Maybe you just need motivation. We can go to gym together sometime." he suggested to her.

"What kind of motivation I need? I've been doing off-ice training for eight years and up to now my opinion stay the same." she told him oblivious to his attempt to flirt with her and him being her motivation to like off-ice training. He had no idea why he keep on trying to flirt when he know she would never noticed it because she was too oblivious.

"Let's just give it a try." he insisted.

They arrived at the arena, he walked her inside. Everybody was busy, testing the lights, the music, the jumbotron and the ice resurfacer cleaning and smoothening the surface of the ice sheet for the ice show tonight.

"Look sparks!" she exclaimed excitedly when the crew tried the fire works they'll be using for the show later tonight. He turned as they both stand their to watch it till the crew turned it off. "Are you going back to your parents' house?" she asked him as they walked heading to the ladies changing room.

"No, I'll be staying and wait for them to arrived around six."

"Okay, I'll be going now to get ready." she told him.

"Can I get a kiss before you go?" he asked slyly, making her giggled.

She nodded her head then he pressed his lips to hers, pressing her against the wall as he hold her waist and she rest her hands on his chest. The kiss gotten hotter than he intended so he pulled away from her. What the heck was he thinking kissing her like that with camera around? Obviously he was not thinking straight at all whenever Cassandra was concerned.

"I'll see you after the show." she reminded him.

"Yeah, I still had a gift to collect after all." he told then her kissing her once again before letting her go inside the changing room.

Five hours later, after the show ended he and his family waited for Cassandra in the green room waiting for her to come out. When she shows up she was changed to her street clothes but her hair was still up in a bum, confusing him since she always took a shower after practice and after a show like the last time he watched.

She greeted them with a huge smile. "Hello! I hope you enjoy the show." she told them.

"Oh! We love it, sweetie!" Tine told her, giving her a hugged. "You look absolutely breath taking on the ice. If I knew figure skating is that amazing, I might have enrol Taylor to a class before."

"Thank you! But playing hockey is really cool too. If my mom was not an ice dancer I'm sure I'll be a hockey player today." she told her.

"Figure skating suits you better. I wish we can stay longer but it's getting late. We're heading home now. I had so much fun watching your ice show."

"It was our first ice show and you didn't disappoint. Good luck to your summer tour." Troy told her.

"It's such a fun show, keep it up!" Taylor said giving her a hugged then his family left them alone in the green room along with the cast and crew packing up.

"Come on!" she excitedly took his hand, leading him to the bleachers. They sat down on the fifth row, giving them a good view of the ice rink. Nobody was there but the two of them, making the arena looked bigger that it was filled with people.

"Why are we sitting here?" he asked confused about what was going on.

"I told you. I'll be giving my gift to you tonight." she told him smiling from eye-to-ear. She pulled out a very tiny rectangular, object wrapped on a blue gift wrapper from the pocket of her jacket then hand it over to him.

"What's this?" he asked, shaking the tiny gift.

"They say big things comes from small packages, so open it!" she was very excited while he was still confused by what was going on but he complied opening the tiny thing, which turns out to be a memory card.

"Your gift is a memory card?" he chuckled. No one ever gave him a memory card as birthday gift, it was totally unexpected. He honestly doesn't have any idea what she might give to him because the first two gift he received from her was something he never expect.

"Yup, I want to give you a gift no one has ever give to you before." she pulled out her iPod from the pocket of her jacket, taking the memory card from him she put it inside her iPod. It only have three file titled; Happy Birthday Song, Someone Like You and Birthday Video. She first played the Happy Birthday Song, which was a piano arrangement of Happy Birthday Song mixed with famous piano pieces.

"Are you that one playing the piano and arrange this?" he asked listening intently to the song.

"Yes."

"How are you able to find time to arrange and record this?" he asked in disbelief.

"Whenever I had a break I did it little by little." after the song ended she played Someone Like You by Adele. But instead of Adele singing it was her singing the song while playing the piano.

He stared at her smiling but not saying a thing. The song ended again and this time she played the video but she paused it.

"Just watch it when you're alone." she told him looking embarrassed.

"Why? I want to watch it now, I'm curious." he took the iPod from her and played the video. The video showed Cassandra sitting on the vanity table in a hotel.

"Hi! So, I made this video on the day of your birthday because I want to apologized for not being able to come. I'm really sorry." she said in the video then it changes to there moments in their three episodes that was aired so far with a message below thanking him for filling her empty canvas with beautiful memories because he was born in this world. She also put all of the eighty-seven pictures she took and send to him with a total of eighty-seven then the video ended.

"Oh! I didn't noticed that the total picture you send to me the entire two weeks was eighty-seven as well." he said surprised when he realized that she'd been giving him her gift for two weeks.

"It's okay. That was totally corny." she said biting her lips.

"No, it's not. I really like it, you're right no one has ever give me a gift like this before." he told her. Thank you." he smiled, hugging her then kissed her on the forehead.

"You're welcome." she said smiling, happy that he liked her birthday gift for him but it was not yet over. "I'll just go to the restroom. I'll be back quickly." she told him standing up and started running to the changing room.

He sat there listening to her rendition of Someone Like You while waiting for her since he can't get enough of her voice, when suddenly all the lights in the arena turned off. "What the?" he was about to cursed but he stopped himself remembering the cameras but even the crew of WGM's light stands turned off right after all the lights go off. He was confused at what was going on and what happened to the lights. "What's wrong?" he asked, staying calm.

"Just a minor problem." a WGM crew answered.

"What about Cassy? She's in the restroom." he was more worried about she alone in the restroom. She might be scared for all he knows. "I have to go to her." he told them standing up.

"We got someone with her, you don't need to worry." they assured him but he still worried about her safety. He decided to call her but realized that she might have left her phone in the changing room along with her other stuff, so he went back sitting down on his seat waiting for the lights to be fixed.

A few more moments pass, a spotlight suddenly turned on and focused on Cassandra wearing a violet figure skating dress then someone played Someone Like You and she skated to it as with such a grace and elegance that it shows how much she pours her heart and soul into her performance. Her emotions was raw and palpable, it sends shiver to his whole body.

He can't find a word to describe how beautiful her performance was. Sure, he was not a figure skating expert but by just watching her you'll know she was one of the best. Why she was called Titania, the fairy queen because she made magic every single time she stepped on the ice. When the performance ended he stood up and clapped his hands. Hands down, it was the most beautiful birthday gift he ever received. It will be forever engraved in his memory.

She bowed at him then made her way out of the ice putting her skate guard going to him. He stood up to meet her half way then he hugged her. If before he thinks that she was special to him and he like her, now he thinks he was slowly falling in love with this woman. And he was more than willing to fall.

___________

Here is the Someone Like You program, if you want to know the reason what made Sid realized he was falling for her.

I just really love this program!
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter… off-cam…

I can't think of a title at the moment so I'll leave it at that for now. What do you think? Can you leave a comment? Subscribe? Recommend? That would be awesome!

Thank you for reading!