Status: happy belated christmas

I Gave You My Heart

Last Christmas I gave you my heart ...

"I can't believe that the thing it took to finally get your ass back in Tempe was your mother. I should have thought of that shit months ago." I rolled my eyes at my best friend and pursed my lips. "I figured it was going to take some one dying to get you here."

"Some one very specific." I muttered and then bit my bottom lip. My eyes scanned the room, looking out for the awkward tall boy.

"Don't waste your time, doll. He was not invited this evening." Michelle took a sip from her cup.

"Yeah, but when has that ever stopped him?" I raised my eyebrows and she scrunched her nose.

"Have I mentioned lately that I can't stand him?" I snorted.

"Neither can I." I smiled. "I'm getting something to drink. I'll see you later."

"Love you, doll." She hugged me by putting one arm around my neck. "Break boys hearts with that gorgeous face you have."

"Don't flatter me." I patted her back and then pulled away. "Also, don't hurt yourself. If you start getting faint or stumble too much, call me or Garrett, mkay?"

"Course." She waved me off before disappearing further into the house.

I managed to make it to the kitchen and picked up a drink before I ducked out back. It was the usual, stereo typical party for the small town I grew up in. There was a bonfire going on in the backyard. The house music inside was loud enough to get into and dancing was a must at least once during the night.

I still found it amusing how the attendants to these things never seemed to change. The faces I saw I could easily place to a photo in a highschool year book. My stomach turned as one face in particular came into crystal clear focus.

"Oh fuck." I muttered and quickly turned my back to him, hoping that he hadn't noticed. I prayed over and over, holding my breath as I counted the seconds. It took thirty-two before I could feel his awkward tall presence beside me.

"Hey Vadalia." My name came casually out of his mouth and it made me cringe. "I didn't expect to see you here."

"That's because I moved." I tried my best to keep my sneering to a minimum. "What do you want, John?"

"Just wanted to talk, V."

"Like hell." I started to walk away, but his arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me back to him.

"Why not?"

"Because I have nothing left to say to you, John."

"Come on Vadalia. Why won't you put this shit behind us? It was a mistake."

I snorted and turned toward him. "You used to be my best friend and, my God, I thought you were someone I could rely on. Me? I guess I was just your shoulder to cry on. The second you had the chance to throw me under the bus for everything you actually wanted, you did. That wasn't a mistake, John. It was a choice. You just made the wrong one."

This time he let me walk away. I trudged back into the house, the tears burning in my eyes. I kept my head up though. I refused to cry over him anymore. I didn't bother with finding Michelle. I focused on getting out of the house and away from the party.

I found my car parked by the street and hurried off back to my hotel room. Once that door closed behind me, I finally felt safe. I could spend the night in a room that no one knew I was in and then dash back to the airport in the morning before anyone could try to stop me.

With a sigh of relief, I changed into pajamas and cuddled into the slightly comfortable hotel bed. There wasn't much on TV but I settled with some odd series that was on a marathon. I was half way to drifting off peacefully when the knocking started.

I groaned as I remembered giving Michelle my staying arrangements before the party. I was expecting to find her passed out on Garrett when I opened the door, but sadly that was not case. My heart froze instead as John stood in the doorway. I didn't even bother with words. I slammed the door back in his face.

"You can't keep running from me Vadalia. I understand why you don't want to talk, but you at least have to listen."

I rolled my eyes.

"You're completely right, V. I did make the wrong choice. But you have to understand that there's not a day that goes by where I don't regret that decision. I love what I get to do everyday, but I miss you more than anything. You were my best friend, Vadalia, and I'm sorry that I didn't realize I loved you a lot sooner. But it's there. I love you. I love you so fucking much, Vadalia. I wish you would just open this door so I could kiss you and show you how I love you."

I crossed my arms and pouted. It wasn't fair that he got everything he wanted. He had brutally used me for years and now he got to apologize. I wanted to keep my resolve, but I knew I was already slipping. "Things don't work like that, John."

"I know, V. I know." I could hear his sigh in his tone and through the door. "Can we at least make things civil? I know I ruined any chance of a relationship between us, but I still miss my best friend. I promise I can make things up."

I stared at the door knob and bit my bottom lip. I couldn't but imagine his perfect hazel green eyes staring at me with the sorrow I'd ignored earlier at the party. I exhaled as I reached for the door and opened it. His eyes widened and locked immeditely with mine.

We stood in silence for a few moments. John made the first move, of course. He stepped forward and wrapped me up in his arms. It had been a little more than a year since I'd been this close to his body, but everything about it was still familiar. It still felt like exactly where I belonged.

"Thank you." He whispered the words into my hair and clung to me. I slowly put my arms around him as well. We stood there for even longer than before. I pulled away first this time.

"Come in." I sniffled and closed the door as he stepped further into my room. "I was just about to start a marathon."

"Of Warehouse 13?" He questioned curiously as he watched the TV screen.

I shrugged. "It's what was on."

"Well, a marathon, whatever it may be of, sounds wonderful."

"There's no popcorn or icecream though. I already checked room service."

"That's okay." He hesitated at my bed. "Would it be crossing the line if I laid down with you?"

I couldn't help but chuckle at that. "What, you plan on sitting on the floor instead?"

He gave me an uneasy smile but still didn't move.

"It's fine, John. Just get comfy." I settled back into my previous spot. John slowly took a spot beside me. I could tell he was still unsure, but as the night went on we both relaxed into the former familiar friendship that was so easy between us.

When I woke up the next morning, I was curled up to John's side with his arm losely around me. I could feel my heart get heavy as I listened to his steady breathing. As much as I resented the things John had done to me, I still wanted him to be something more. John had always been my best friend. Things were always simple for us and time together was fun.

"What's wrong, Vadalia?"

I jumped a bit, frightened, at his sudden response. I smacked his arm after I got over the shock. "You were supposed to be sleeping."

"I can feel you tensing up. What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I mumbled and turned over on my stomach, slightly away from him.

"V?"

"Shut up."

It was quiet for a few seconds before John rolled over, on top of me.

"Move off of me." I grumbled and wiggled under him.

"Tell me what's wrong."

I groaned. "There's nothing wrong!"

"Don't lie, Vadalia Grace. Your nose will grow." He chuckled as I attempted to elbow him in his stomach. It took about two minutes to finally get him off of me. He laughed hysterically while I pouted beside him. "Aw, don't give me that face, V. It was all in good fun."

"It was neither good nor fun." I scrunched my nose and he chuckled again.

"I truly love you, Vadalia Grace."

I bit my lip as I looked his face over. He was smiling, but there was an honest gleam in his eyes that made me melt. "I can't say that back to you, you know." His smile fell a bit.

"I understand."

"It's not that I want to hurt you," John shook his head.

"I understand, V. I did too much damage to make up in one night."

I sighed and closed my eyes. I focused on my breathing and I could still hear Johns. Together, our breaths were almost in unison. And then I could feel the very faintest touch of John's lips on my cheek bone. I couldn't help the smile that slowly curled my lips.

"I want nothing more than to make you happy for the rest of our lifes." I giggled and opened my eyes. His face was still incredibly close to mine.

"That's some awful, cheesy, romantic, stuff, Mr. JohnO."

"I'm nothing but awful, my dear, but I try."

I giggled again. "You are such a nerd." I smiled at him and he smiled back.

It wasn't on purpose, but before I could stop him or I, our lips were touching. It was a gentle kiss with nothing but innocence and emotion behind it. When we broke away, we were both panting.

His forehead rested against mine. "You are someone special, Vadalia. I promise to never do you wrong again." He muttered the words with his eyes closed.

I smiled. I was already fooled again with his charm and under his spell. And honestly, people could change.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Christmas, my dear!
xooxEmber.