Sequel: We All Roll Along
Status: Completed!

We Only Breathe For So Long

We Are The Maine

Greg – who was out of the bathroom after finishing vomiting because of his hangover from last night’s party – realized what was happening and he got to Sophie as fast as he could. He knew she was obsessed with the band and if she didn’t give them some space, they’d feel pretty awkward.

“Hey, why don’t you come with me so we can get some snacks to eat throughout the day,” he softly spoke as he grabbed her arm and left the store through the back door.

She didn’t even flinch. She was in absolute shock.

“Oh, well thought of Greg,” I said through my teeth.

Unfortunately, Eric and I weren’t the only ones who had heard Sophie’s scream. I quickly put myself together and turned to Eric.

“Wish me luck.”

“You don’t need it,” he smiled and stepped out of the way so I could pass first.

I mouthed the words ‘thank you’ to him.

I started walking towards the band. There were five of them. From this distance I could only see a rough idea of how they looked. The first one had long hair up to his shoulders. The second one had long hair too but not as long as the first one’s hair, he also had a beard. The third one was pretty normal looking, his hair was dark brown and so was his facial hair. The forth one was blonde and big. The fifth one looked familiar somehow. He was tall and lanky.

He was tall and lanky.

At the time that I realized whom the fifth guy was, I was close enough to perceive each and every detail of their appearance. But the thought that I’ve bumped into one of these guys hasn’t left my mind yet. Inside I was freaking out because he was that handsome guy who bought me flowers two days ago. He was that guy from Arizona with the hoarse voice, the voice that made me melt a little inside. But outside, I had to keep myself together and act super professional about it and get back to my feelings later. At that stage, I was so nervous that I wanted to dig a hole right there and then and crawl inside of it. Not to mention to stay in a fetal position.

The third guy (the one with brown hair and facial hair) placed his hand on the air, in front of me to offer a handshake.

“I’m Kennedy Brock,” he smiled softly and I shook his hand.

“This is Pat Kirsh, our drummer,” he said pointing to the first guy. “This is Garett Nickelsen, he plays the bass,” he said pointing to the second guy. “This is our lead guitarist, Jared Monaco,” he said pointing to the forth guy. “And this is-”

“John,” I made eye contact with him for the first time and smiled at the thought of his name.

I would’ve never thought that I would ever, ever see him again. Yet here he was, standing right in front of me with black torn skinny jeans wrapping his thin legs, a formal white shirt that was unbuttoned at the top with the sleeves rolled up, suspensors and combat boots. We just kept looking at each other like a couple of fools while the other guys were quiet trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

“…Yes,” Kennedy looked around awkwardly. “John O’Callaghan, our vocalist.”

After Kennedy spoke, I found myself still holding eye contact with those green laser eyes.

I realized what I was doing so I quickly turned my gaze to the floor and put myself together - once again.

“Well, I am very pleased to meet you all,” I said in the most possible calm tone I could manage and I smiled. “I’m Kylie Manson and I work here. Unfortunately I can’t use a fancy word like ‘lead guitarist’ to address my job,” I glanced over Jared while making a smirk.

All the boys laughed, except John. The only muscle he ever moved was his mouth and he barely moved it. He moved it just enough to form half of a smile.

“I’ll be assisting you guys today with anything that you may need,” I continued. “Please follow me.”

I lead the way towards the back of the store to the room where the band was going to be staying for a couple of minutes before they started their day. The room was right next to the stock room and it wasn’t too big but not tiny either.

I pushed the door open to find a beautiful mini-breakfast buffet – one that I was not aware of – and some fresh flowers decorating the room and adding fragrance in to it.

“Whoa, you guys didn’t have to go through the trouble,” commented Pat once he laid eyes on the table.

Jessica. She probably did all of this to score some points with the guys. How did I not think about this? This is a band made up of five boys. Boys are always hungry and eating. It was a perfect idea.

“We sure did, you boys deserve a good meal before having to spend hours out there with nothing but water,” I replied to Pat’s comment. “I have to solve some things outside and I will be back when it’s time for you guys to go. Bon appetite!” I smiled towards them.

I tried my best not to even look at John so that the urge to keep on looking at him wouldn’t return, but I couldn’t resist. My eyes shot right up to his face and I found him looking at me already. At the same second, I dropped my eyes to admire the floor and opened the door behind me. After I walked three steps towards the counter, the door opened again and someone called out my name. Not someone.

He called out my name.

“Kylie,” he said loud enough for me to hear.

I couldn’t pretend I hadn’t heard him call out my name because he said it loud and clear. My brain was accelerating and multiple thoughts were travelling at the speed of light.

“What do I do? What do I do?” I thought, failing at finding an answer. I slowly turned around, regretting the moment we locked eyes.

“Hi,” I smiled shyly, not quite knowing what to do.

“Hey, um… I never thought I’d ever see you again,” he stroked his hair just like he did the other time when we first met.

“Yeah, neither did I! It’s a small world uh?” I joked around a little to try and calm my nerves down.

Why did he have such a big impact with my nerves? I could barely look at him without feeling as if his eyes were burning a whole on my face. Besides, I didn’t even know this guy. I couldn’t stand it anymore, I just wanted to run away like a little kid rather than man up and talk to him at these circumstances. I didn’t want to see him again at work! I was hoping this could be one of those movies like moments where I would be walking a dog along the sidewalk and we would casually bump into each other again.

”You are the one for me, Kylie. I…”

“Kylie? Kylie, Kylie,” he took a grip on my shoulder and shook it slightly waking me up from my daydream.

What did I just picture in my head? Have I gone mad? Normal people do NOT daydream like that. Oh my, I probably looked like a total moron while imagining that.

Before rising anymore suspicious, I quickly found my voice. “Oh, I’m sorry, I dozed off for a sec there,” and I placed the palm of my hands on my forehead for a split second.

“Are you all right?” he kept his hand on my shoulder, molding it to fit his hands on it in a gentle way.

I nodded. “Yes, I am. And sorry about that,” an apologetic look was stamped on my face.

“Listen, I-”
“Mr. O’Callaghan! What a pleasure to meet you. I am Jessica Smith, owner and manager of the bookshop. I hope you’re comfortable and that Ms. Manson is being useful,” interrupted Jessica.

“Nice to meet you,” he said as they shared a handshake. “And yes, she is,” assured John, making a subtle smile.

“Well, if you’ll excuse me, I will start opening the doors. There are thousands of fans outside!” she shouted with vigor, “Ms. Manson, will you please show the boys their spots?” she kindly asked.

She was acting way too polite, almost forcing it. Jessica is a great lady but she didn’t have to change her persona in order to best fit a band. I know it’s a big deal for her and the bookshop but nothing should alter your inner self.

“Yes ma’am.”

I looked at my feet and started walking back towards the room where all the other guys were. When Jessica disappeared out of our sights and I was about to turn the door handle, John held my rist gently.

“Kylie, I know this is a very odd situation but can we please talk at the end of the day or something? You know, clear things out,” he half smiled.

God, why did he have to be so charming? I could’ve never said no to that half smile.

“Sure,” I smiled back and opened the door. “Guys, it’s show time! I just wanted to clear some things out with you first,” I told them as all the four of them were sitting on the couch. John sat down and joined them.

“There are five tables on the stage, each chair has your name as a label so please sit in your corresponding seats. It goes in the following order starting from the left. O’Callaghan, Monaco, Kirsh, Brock and Nickelsen. I will be over the counter all the time so if you need anything, just signal or something. Under your tables there is two bottles of water and an extra marker in case yours runs out of ink.”

I began walking towards the door and I could hear the boys getting off the couch and gussying up.

“It’s showtime,” said Garrett while fixing his collar.

“Ladies first,” said Jared in a mocking voice.

We all laughed and headed out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I fear nobody is liking the story :( so I'll only update if you guys give me some feedback to go on x