Sequel: We All Roll Along
Status: Completed!

We Only Breathe For So Long

Unexpected Dinner

John was a persistent little bugger. He always had to choose the options I didn’t want to be chosen. Since he insisted to have dinner tonight, and Angela found it fantastic, I’ve been hosting a million butterflies inside of my stomach. A few hours ago, he had left the house to go get changed into something more appropriate and to pick Kennedy up.

My closet has been my one and only view since I last saw John. I didn’t know what to wear, even though I had many outfits to choose from. It either was too loose, too tight, too short, too long or too not dinner-with-the-boyfriend-and-family material. After picking up and putting down layers and layers of clothing, my closet went from being sparkling clean and tidy to a gigantic mess.

A knock on the door, followed by quiet footsteps, distracted me from the ‘what to wear’ question that clouded and worried my head. I was leaning against the opened door that connected my closet and bedroom. My head turned sideways, slightly, and I saw Sophie, still holding her school bag. I bit my bottom lip, realizing hours have passed and that I had less time to get ready. Sophie usually arrived from school, after her extra murals, at 3pm. I had three hours before John came knocking on my door once again, and although three hours seemed like a lot, it truly wasn’t.

“Someone looks nervous,” Sophie hissed. She looked worn out and knackered.

I smiled, half-heartedly. “Well, if I were you, I would too. John is coming over for dinner tonight…”

Sophie threw her bag on my bed and sat down, as she removed her shoes. “Don’t worry, Dad isn’t a very tough guy. John will survive,” she smirked.

“… And Kennedy is coming too.”

She completely forgot about what her previous actions were. Her blue eyes were wide in shock or maybe just surprise. I looked at her, enjoying the fact that she had just proven things was easier said than done. She was freaking out just like I was. At least I wasn’t doing this on my own.

“What?” Sophie asked, perplexed. “Why? Why would he come?”

I laughed. That helped a bit, the tension was removed from my shoulders. “Your dearest mother picked up on your little giggles through the phone, and overly happy moods. Not to mention the sweet ride you had after the show.” She buried her face on her hands. Her eyes were shut, she was trying to deny the fact that her mom figured out her crush on Kennedy. “But mostly, she came up with the dinner idea and John, being the unpredictable prick he is, said ‘why not tonight?’” I imitated his voice, nowhere near his actual hoarse tone.

Sophie sighed, absolutely filled with frustration, because she didn’t know what to expect, just like I didn’t know either. “I will kill John.”

I opened my mouth, surprised at what she had said. “Hey! Don’t talk about my boyfriend like that.”

Her expression quickly transitioned from a frown to a mischievous smile. “Finally!” she threw her hands up in the air, “I thought I’d become a grandmother before I saw you two together.”

I sighed in amusement as I smiled. “Why does everyone keep on saying that?”

I turned around, bringing my attention to my messy closet again, waiting to figure out once and for all what to wear. “Would you mind helping me by-”

“What is that?” Sophie demanded, a tone of fear behind her voice. “Why is your blanket moving by itself?”

I quickly turned around and looked at the same direction her scared eyes were staring at. I sighed in relief, knowing it was nothing unknown or dangerous, as a matter of fact.

“You almost scared my soul away! That’s just Jolie.”

Her expression was still mortified. “What is that? A freaking pet snake?”

I laughed at the irony. Jolie was so small and docile that she could never be compared to a venomous snake. “No ways! It’s a Beatle, a puppy John gave me earlier today.”

Jolie found her way out of the covers, more like a maize to her, and started smelling the air around her.

Sophie’s eyes melted when she saw her. “Oh my, she’s so adorable.” She stretched out her hands to pet Jolie. Her touch was soft, almost afraid to hurt her small frame with her big hands. “Can I keep her?”

“Most certainly not!” I told her through laughter.

“Aw,” she moaned, “I better get changed before I come back to kidnap this cutie.” She winked at me, picked up her school bag and headed off towards her room.

And I still didn’t have anything to wear.



The doorbell interrupted my thoughts, an hour later. I ran out of my room, wanting to be the one to open the door, but Angela beat me to it. When I reached the main hall, she was holding the door handle already. I tried to catch my breath, from all the running and anxiety mixed with pulsing nerves. She opened the door and welcomed them before they entered our home.

Both of them looked casually formal. Kennedy had his hair gelled back and cologne all over his body. He wore dark jeans and beige colored blazer that made him look a little formal and dressed up. John, in the other hand, wore a sweater and his famous beat up boots. As they entered our home, John revealed a bouquet of flowers that was hidden behind his tall skeleton.

“Thank you, John.” Her voice echoed gratitude.

John simply smiled at her, but that was enough. His smile could literally make somebody momentarily happy.

Kennedy checked up on his collar to make sure it was in place. “This is a beautiful home, ma’am.”

“Thank you for the compliment. You look handsome yourself!” she patted him on his shoulder, “you can call me Angela.”

He smiled at her, thanking her for making him feel less nervous.

“Would you like to be my company in the kitchen?” Angela asked Kennedy.

He nodded his head, raising his elbow a little, giving some space for her to hold his arm in a polite manner. They walked to the kitchen through laughter and chatter.

As soon as they were out of sight, I ran to John’s arms. I hugged him with all my might, as if I hadn’t seen him in centuries, even though I had seen him this morning.

He held my waist, pushing me away from our embrace, then placing his soft, thin lips on mine. “Hey,” he said.

I closed my eyes and let myself indulge in his kiss. “Hi,” I whispered, inches away from his eyes.

“You look beautiful.”

Blood rushed to my cheeks, as they turned red. I turned my gaze down, looking at my outfit myself. After all the hours wasted staring at my closet with no luck, or whatsoever, I decided to keep it simple since I was going to stay at home anyways. An hour hadn’t been enough for me to get ready, so all I had on was white jeans, fluffy socks, a sweater that somehow looked similar to John’s and my wet, tangled hair.

“I like your I’m-a-century-old-and-a-war-survivor boots,” I said through a smirk.

He threw his head back and laughed as he took my hand and pulled me closer to him.

I turned around and guided him to my bedroom, so I could finish getting ready and so he wouldn’t have to go through awkward conversations in the kitchen with Angela.

John immediately found Jolie, who was still exploring my bed, and started playing with her oversized ears. I went to the bathroom to brush the knots out of my hair and attempt to fix my face for the evening. As much as I enjoyed the silence, I couldn’t keep quiet knowing that John was right there. Why would I keep quiet when I could hear the sound of his voice at free will?

“Are you ready?” I asked, raising my voice so I could be heard.

“Yeah, they seem like nice folks. There’s nothing to be nervous about.”

His voice was sincere and certain. In the moment, I wished I could’ve been as controlled as him.

“You’re right,” I said, not having the same certainty that he had.

“But…?” John knew that word was in my mind, waiting to be spoken.

“But… it’s the first time I introduce my boyfriend to any member of my family. Like, ever.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know,” I sighed, drying my hair with a towel and walking out of the bathroom. “I guess I never thought they were good enough to be introduced to my dad or the rest of the family.”

John stood up from my bed and got closer to me. He cupped my face on his hands and kissed me, pulling away now and then to form a smile. “I like the word ‘boyfriend’ more and more each time you say it.”

I smiled at his words, getting closer to him to kiss him once again. As I wished this could last up to eternity, Angela’s voice could be heard on the background, telling us dinner was served.

John parted away, lowering his hands to reach mine. “Ready?”

I gripped his hand a little tighter, smirking. “Ready to kiss you endlessly or introduce my boyfriend to my family?”

He grinned, his teeth looked whiter than snow itself. “Both. But for now, the second option.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey dear readers! I'd like to apologize for my lack of commitment with the story. I don't know why, but I haven't felt like writing lately. Hopefully, I will turn back around and start writing more often! I'm sorry for the irregular and farfetched updates. I hope you're still enjoying the story. More drama is about to begin on the 39th chapter! Stay tuned x