Sequel: We All Roll Along
Status: Completed!

We Only Breathe For So Long

Surreal Doesn’t Even Begin To Describe This

It has been two weeks since I moved in with my uncle and his family in Canada. I couldn’t love it any better! The house is amazing, Angela is a great cook, Sophia has become my friend to such an extent that we are always together and I got a job in a bookshop downtown.

I decided to do Journalism after I’ve spent most of my afternoons in the library at home. I fell in love with reading and writing so I started a four-year course at the local university. There’s a lot of projects and research to be done but it’s not much to keep me from having a part-time job. Since I picked Journalism, I couldn’t think of a better job than spending most of my time at a bookshop. I get to learn lots of new things and my co-workers are hilarious. There’s Greg Williams, Eric Santini and Jessica Smith. Greg is a total nerd who is always trying to get ladies, Eric is the handsome lad who gets the ladies Greg tries to get and Jessica is the owner of the bookshop, our manager and boss.

“As you all know, we haven’t been doing many book launchings this year and I want to quit this old habit,” said Jessica after placing her clipboard down on the counter loudly in order to call our attention, “there’s a band that will be in town for a tour that they’re doing here, they call themselves The Maine. They have recently published a book but not many people know about it so they want to officially launch it. They will be coming down here in three weeks.”

“Is it a girl band? Please tell me there’s at least four members so that I can score a girl and Greg can have a threesome before being forever alone,” Eric said with a grin and tapped Greg on the back in a playful way.

“No Mr. Santini, it’s not a girl band. What a pity. Moving on! We’ve got three weeks to make this happen and I want this to be your main focus. Williams, you’re responsible for the books. The stock will be arriving sometime this week and you better tag all of those things and organize them in shelves and all,” she said pointing at Greg with a pen.

“Yes, ma’am!” he replied.

“Santini, you’re the head of advertising. Please put your pretty face in good use, I want actual people to show up to the event, not only flies. Make sure that you get all of the crazy, obsessed, Canadian girl fans to be aware of what’s happening,” she continued to give out orders.

“Thanks boss, you’re a sweetheart.”

“Less praising, more work. Manson, I want you in charge of these fools. Make sure everything is running along with the program on the day, and that everything is covered for the event. You’re going to take care of the boys once they step into our bookshop and make sure they get everything they need. I want you to organize the venue. Decide where everything must be positioned and all. Any doubts, you know where my office is,” she picked up her clipboard and trailed off to her office.

“Wow, she is very stressed out,” Eric mentioned.

“Tell me about it, it’s for a band that’s not even so famous and all, I don’t even know who they are… And I pretty much know everything!” Greg said with a confused look in his eyes.

“Guys, give her a break. We haven’t done this yet; it’s our first time doing this type of thing. She has all the right to be worried. I mean, Eric could use his bed as advertising,” I threw a side look at Eric who was grinning madly.

“Good idea K, but I don’t think I’d be capable to do that,” he winked and went over to help a customer.

“You sure as hell are Asstini!” said Greg loud enough for Eric to hear his words.

After my working hours finished, I decided to go over the Chinese restaurant five minutes away from the bookshop to get some takeaway for the family. Angela wasn’t feeling so well and the thought of not having to cook tonight would definitely cheer her up.

When I got home, Ronnie was half asleep on the couch and Sophia was nowhere to be found. I set the table and warmed up the food before calling them to eat. The Scarlet family has one rule to their home: during dinner, everybody has to address what happened on their day so that they can know and also discuss about it. Lately, the main subject has been anything to do with me and if I’m settling in well.

“So Kylie, how’s work thus far?” asked Uncle Ronnie after having trouble to eat his Chow Mei in one go.

“It’s great. I really like it, the people I work with are really nice and have amazing personalities,” I replied politely.

“That is nice to hear, and what do you do at work?” Angela asked with a touch of interest in her tone.

“Oh, you know… Book stuff. Organize books, help clients to find or pick a certain book and read too. But now we’re focusing on this book launch that will be happening in three weeks for this band called The Maine and-” before I even finished talking, Sophia dropped her wooden sticks and said, “What? The Maine?” her eyes were so wide, I thought she would eat me alive.

“Um, yeah. They’re having a tour here for about a month and before they start, they’re going to release their book at our bookshop.”

“Oh. My. God. Dad, you’ve got to let me go. To the book launch, to the concerts, to EVERY single concert! I promise I won’t ask for anything else in my life, ever. I promise, I prom-” begged Sophia before being interrupted by Ronnie.

“Dear, we all know that’s not true. You will eventually ask for other things, tonight still, I know you.”

Angela gently touched Sophia’s shoulder and said, “Of course you can go, no need to make so many false promises. Kylie works at the bookshop so you’ll definitely be able to go with her, buy the book, get it signed and get some photos with the boys. Now about the concerts, it’s all up to your dad honey,” Angela said while removing some dishes from the table and putting them inside the dishwasher.

“Dad, please. You know The Maine is my favorite band. You’ve got to let me go!” Sophia pleaded with puppy eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the short chapters, there will be long chapters coming up soon!