Sequel: We All Roll Along
Status: Completed!

We Only Breathe For So Long

Big Day, Big Arrangements

It was two days before the so important book launching. Everything was chaotic and busy. I had to make sure that everything was in place. Tomorrow was going to be a public holiday for purposes that I didn’t know yet, which meant that we had to organize the venue today for it to be completely ready by Thursday.

“Have you got all the markers that I asked you to order so the guys can sign the books?” I enquired from Greg.

“Yes, ten as you’ve asked. Two for each member of the band,” replied Greg while he was reading over his ‘To Do’ list. Greg couldn’t function without lists, he always had to write things down, and then make sure to scratch it off the paper once he had accomplished the task.

“Good.”

I walked over to the entrance to see if everything looked tidy and in order. The bookshop was pretty big; we had over 12 different sections with plenty of space for customers to maneuver in. We pushed all the bookshelves closer together, giving more space in the center of the bookshop and clearing that area. The counter was on the right-hand side of the store, so we placed the tables where the guys would be sitting next to it on the left. It was a mini stage. On its right side there were stairs so the fans could go onto the stage once it was their time to sign their book. There was a big space in front of the stage filled with some barriers forming some sort of line. The line started from the counter so that people could buy their book and be in the line already to get it signed. Jessica said that the boys didn’t mind spending the entire day there, as long as they got to attend each and every fan so I took liberty to hire a security guard to make sure that only three fans go on stage at once. That keeps the whole thing organized and gives time for the fans to have some time with their idols. I took some money out of my own pockets in order to make little souvenirs for the people that stand in the line and placed it in big bowls at the end of the line. I didn’t want them to wait hours on a line, and then go home empty handed with nothing but a signed book. Jessica called me crazy but if it were me and my favorite band was in town and someone could do something like I’ve done, I would love for them to do it.

We’ve been working like crazy, but it totally paid off. The venue looked super organized and well spaced. Jessica showed up after lunch; she hasn’t been around lately, she got too caught up with the media and all. She entered the bookshop, completely unfocused and distracted. Once she noticed the changes, she just looked around with the most serious face ever.

“What? You don’t like it? Don’t do that face please, you’re terrifying me!” I spoke as quickly as lightning.

“No, not at all Kylie. It looks amazing! If this band doesn’t like it, I will kick their skinny asses myself! I didn’t even know we had so much space in this place,” she looked at me with a motherly expression, “Well done, I’m proud of you.”

I hugged her at a loss of words.

After a long day moving things and making sure everything was perfect, I went home on my bike. I arrived home completely worn out. Thankfully, I had a day off tomorrow so I could actually take sometime for myself and not plan anything. I told myself I would see where the day leads and do whatever I felt like doing since Ronnie was going to go fishing with co-workers and Angela to the hairdresser along with Sophie. The house was entirely mine for a change and so were the streets.

I entered my bedroom, removed my shoes, threw them aside and placed my bag down before dropping dead on my bed. I closed my eyes for a second, allowing peace to relief my muscles when I heard a knock on the door.

“Come in,” I ordered softly.

“Hey!” Sophie opened the door and closed it carefully not to make a single drop of noise.

“Oh, hey!” I quickly replied back, “The event will start at 9AM but I’ll have to be there earlier to see if everything is ready and all. I’ll leave at 6AM, so I hope you’re ready by then, if not, your mom said she could drop you off later. I talked to my manager and she said that after the event, IF the guys have time, you can talk to them for a while and finally get your book signed,” I made sure to enhance my voice while saying the word ‘if’.

“Thank you so much Kylie, it really means a lot to me,” she said while walking towards my bed. She sat on my bed and took a moment or two. She opened her mouth and closed it again as fast as she had opened it.

“What is it?” I asked her.

She slightly turned her head to face me and words came out of her mouth, “Remember that I also wanted to go to their concerts?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“Well, my dad said I could go to any concert that I want but…” she shyly lowered her tone.

“There’s a catch to everything with parents. What’s the catch this time?” I asked, not surprised at all.

“I can only go if you go with me. I know that you have never listened to them and it must suck to go to multiples shows of a band that you don’t really love, but it would mean the world to me if-” but before she could continue, I interrupted her.

“Of course I’ll go with you Sophie. I love to hang out with you and we haven’t done that much lately because you’ve got school and I have work and all. As long as you let me know in advance where, when, and at what time you want to go… I will go with you,” I told her as sincerely as I could and shot her a half smile.

She looked at me with the most compassionate eyes - which reminded me so much of my dad - and said, “You are by far, much better than I expected. I wanted you to be my friend before you came here. But you became my sister.”

I believe my eyes were a little watery and at that moment, I didn’t care. I hugged her and whispered, “me too.”