Status: Bilbo/Ainsel Romance

By the Light of the Fire

An Unexpected Intruder

"Wanderers, no mistake!" the Faye gasped, the discovery of a small campfire that had not long been extinguished had beckoned forth her excitement, surrounded by evidence now against her former finding of tracks. These tracks had been guiding the Faye for days, leading her further and further through the woodlands, and near the mountains, at first she thought it to be animal tracks, a herd of wild horses, but the prints were too clean, too controlled after following their tracks for many a night, the young elf studied the foot marks, of ponies of horses, small men and one larger sized man. One thing in particular striking her interest, there in among the footprints of shoes was that of bare feet. A child? An Orc? No, they were different, somehow, familiar.

A scuttle of cracking sounded behind her and the screech of birds that took off in flight, fleeing from the heightened sense of danger. She darted for her pony, pulling at her reigns. "Off we go Thandriel!" Clicking the heel of her bare feet against the Pony they flew off together through the deeper parts of the woods.

The night settled with a black blanket of dust over the valleys below, the forests were shelter against the bitter sting of wind, but not shelter from the dwellings of dark forces. The Dwarves and company settled under an old elm tree, confident that this was a sufficiently safe place for dwellings until dawn.

The fire raged on, smoke rings in their dozen filled their air from the pipes of complacent creatures; song was a low murmur in the air.

"I've had enough of these ‘ere cold nights, keep thinking I’m gonna' have ma' throat cut in ma' sleep!"

‘If you carry on whining Gloin, I’ll grant you that wish!’ Balin grunted, crossing his legs. His back against a large tree shaped like a haggard witch with an arched back.

The two Dwarves bickered back and forth, unaware of the dangers that were about to spring forth, the rest of their company distracted by the raised voices, all but one.

"Be quiet you fools!" The wizard Gandalf summoned their silence. "You’ll be the death of all of us."
It happened in a flash, a pale white pony leaped over the hedges on the wondering bushes, an elf rider atop its back, a worried expression.

"Help me dear Dwarves, I have attracted unwanted company, far too many for me to handle!" with her words, Fili and Kili unsheathed their weapons and stood in front of the pony, guarding its Elven rider.

"No worries Miss!" Kili started.

"We’ll protect you!" Fili finished.

Orcs, in their many jumped over the same bushes, others ran around, surprised by what greeted them face to face. The Dwarves readied for a bloody battle. But there was a sinister silence that befell the Orcs, they studied the group of large numbers, small of stature. Measuring them.
Then... they attacked.

Thorin darted forward, he faced the largest foe and isolated him immediately from the group. Fili and Kili darted after the hasty Orcs. The remaining Dwarves Dwalin, Balin, Oin Gloin, Nori, Ori, Dori, Bifur, Bofur and Bombur put up an amazing fight against the oncoming enemies.

"Stinking Orcs!" Dori exclaimed as he struck down with his sword.

More of these grumbles filled the evening air as the group huddled around their fire, striking down Orcs with a thunderous blow or a quick slash of their swords, spears, axes and hammers. This went on for many a minute.

One smallest member of the group joined in, the beauty of the blue blade lit up the night as it carved into the enemy; her eyes were fixed on this glow and the wielder of such a blade.
She dismounted her horse, ready with her blade to join in the fight. Swirling with the grace of an elf, no-one noticed her height until the last Orc had been struck down with a heavy roar, Thorin had beheaded the creature that fell to its knees in front of him. The group (bar Thorin) cheered into the night. The Wizard had vanished during the fight to look to the road ahead and review the path behind for a safe place to shelter.

"We are in danger here, grab whatever you can carry and take to the horses." Thorin remarked "Elf" he summoned the newcomers attention. "You may ride with us until we come to the town at the end of this forest. It is but five days from here if we make haste"
"I have no intention of burdening you with my company at this point, but thank you for the offer" the Elf spoke. There were but hushes whispers all around, eyes staring unintentionally at the girl before them. For no-one had noticed in the heat of battle that this elf was no taller than them, in actual fact, she was smaller.

"Pardon my harsh statement Miss, but you look too old in the face to be an Elven child, but too small to be a full grown elf, may I ask what race are you?" Fili asked with a curious interest.

"I’m a Half-Elf. My mother was of pure Elven bloodline, and my father... well I do not know" The Dwarves bought it without hesitation but a few looked towards a rather hushed Hobbit who was in a small state of silence...

"Pardon me asking too" the Hobbit finally spoke up "But what were you doing out of the safety of your people, why are you travelling such a dangerous woods?" His eyes glistened at the Half-Elf, a curious interest she was for many, but Gandalf would know. 'Where was that old Wizard?' Bilbo thought to himself.

She stared. A deep intensity had overtaken her attention as she looked at the Hobbit, looking directly at his feet and then back to his face she dismissed him; and diverted her attention back towards the others, telling them of how she came to be in such a position and they greatly sympathized.

"My people had banished me from their clan. It was a high honor to be graced with their presence, but almost a godly possession to have a pure bloodline. I was cast aside for not being a pure breed of elf. My mother was tricked by a foul creature upon my conception. They suspected something upon my birth, but as I grew my size was of mystery to them, as first they thought me to be a deformity, and that would have been a far better grace to be of ill form than ill blood. Ere they cast aside my mother and me to wonder the woodlands. She was murdered many years ago. I wonder these lands myself now, alone, killing Orcs and Goblins to keep the place clear. Seems these lands are teeming with wreaking spirit just lately." Her gaze grew low to the ground. "I have been tracking you guys for days now, I knew you to be no Orcs, but they were on your scent regardless, I apologize for my abrupt entry to your resting, but they were planning on slaying you in your sleep, they have left much devastation in their wake as of late" Her eyes met with all the Dwarves to study their expression. "If that be a suitable explination, then please excuse me if I say no more, for I have already said too much..."

"Well thank you kindly, I suppose!" Bofur piped up. The Faye’s story had settled a level of sorrow over the bunch.

"Lets be on our way, I would like some rest tonight, where has that blasted Wizard blazed off to now?!" Nori offered his thoughts.

The group departed the small opening to venture to the boarder of the forest near a larger opening, a meadow.

"Now why do we settle where we see a patch of dry land when we find better dwellings further along!? We really should search more for a better resting spot, this ones too obvious..." Oin complained riding atop his horse before they dismounted their transport.

"Indeed" Bilbo agreed.

"Ere, the girl, you don’t think she’s like you, do you?" Oin’s voice was incredibly hushed as he looked intently at Bilbo. ‘If she is she could be just as useful as you, albeit even if Thorin doesn't allow it, he didn't have much of a choice with you my lad!" He slapped Bilbo on the shoulder, laughing heartily with him.

"Well, thank you very much! I’ll remember that next time you guys are as loud as thunder and find yourself in a predicament." Bilbo jested as he tied up his pony. "Kili and Fili seem to have taken a shine to her..." he stated in a low murmur, more so to himself than anyone.

"Aye, that they have. They’d take a shine to a Goblin in a dress, this must be a warm welcome to their eyes!" Oin laughed once more and left Bilbo to watch the Dwarves settle, light up a fire and entertain their new guest as he prepared for a night of hopefully peaceful slumber.

"Dear Elf, we haven’t yet asked you your name!" Bombur cried, looking at his companions, acknowledging their ignorance to their guest.

"Ainsel... my name is Ainsel" She greeted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dundundun the first chapter! She doesn't like Bilbo. Haha.
Sorry, I can't do they love at first site ploppy slop. I want to build on them a lot and make plenty of chapters. Next chapter should be nice for you all! Also I'd like to note that there may be spoilers in here if you have never read the book/watched the first film. This one has none. xD
Well that I'm aware of anyway.
Comment.
Any typography mistakes I make I try and sort out ASAP.
Thanks guys!