Status: Active

Lady of the Black Dragon

Birth

It was glowing. Brilyn had walked this part of the river many times before, had even swam in it, in the warm months – but never before had she seen what she saw now; an object was at the bottom of the river, a black object that was putting off light. It must have been pushed there after the floods a few weeks ago. She had not been to the river since some time before the floods.

She briefly considered leaving it there, the water was too cold to go in, this time of year. But her curiosity would not let her. She left it for a few moments to prepare a fire, and she laid her cloak down by the flames to gather warmth. Shivering, she walked to the edge of the river, almost relieved that the object was still there. She stepped into the water, and then dove under.

The object was heavier than she expected, and she almost worried that it would keep her from surfacing again. But she was a strong swimmer, and she made it back to the bank, and to her fire, in one piece.

She wrapped herself in her cloak and watched the object before her. The light seemed to pulse with a definite rhythm. She reached out a hand to touch the object, but to her surprise, she broke the previously rock-solid shell.

Brilyn held her hand to her body, and watched as the crack spread. With a startling awareness, she realized that the object was actually an egg. Her worst fears, even those that she did not realize she had, were only affirmed when a creature’s head surfaced from the egg, and wise eyes were suddenly looking back at her.

The eyes of a Dragon.